Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 Kitty Bartholomew Knitting Book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  06:46:14 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
Has anyone seen this? They have it on half.com and overstock.com but none of the patterns are shown. I'm really curious.
Debra

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  06:43:03 AM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
I was wondering, too. The cat lover in me thinks she has such a great name: KITTY BartholoMEW.
Carol
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  11:19:23 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
I saw it this past weekend at B&N. I wasn't very impressed with any of the patterns.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  08:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
I've seen Kitty Bartholomew on some morning US show (years ago now) , with segments on her knitting. But I have not seen this book. On her show she knits a lot with tweedy and nubbly colourful designs, with plain shapes. I think there is a country influence and even intarsia with cutsy things.

Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

DeannaC
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  4:27:01 PM  Show Profile Send DeannaC a Private Message
I checked this book out for about 2 hours from the library. She wants this book to be used to inspire our own yarn combinations. But she didn't give any yardage information - not actual yardage from her originals or suggested. I think it would be pretty difficult for many knitters to estimate on their own.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  08:53:57 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I saw a TV program years ago in which she discussed her knitting and showed many of her sweaters. At that time, she said she only used 2 patterns, a cardigan and a pullover and that's what all the sweaters were. The differences were in yarn choices and combinations. My impression at the time was that she was spending enormous amounts of money on yarn.

Now, as I said, this was years ago and I assume that she has changed and grown just like the rest of us have.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2363 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  10:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Kitty Bartholomew does a lot of various crafting segments for one of the networks, I forget which one. She also does "guest" spots on other crafting shows, but in all of the times I've seen her, I've never seen her do a knitting segment. I guess my thought, without seeing the book yet, is that she is pretty much a generalist, so I wouldn't be expecting much from a knitting book by her.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2670 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  07:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
She had a show for years on the HGTV channel. I definitely think of her as more of a hot-glue-and-rickrack-type crafter than a knitter. I remember one episode when she covered an entire ceiling with dried flowers (hot glue, of course.) Not my style at all. No disrespect to hot glue, either - it's a useful tool - but you have to know when to put the gun down and walk away.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  10:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
She covered the ceiling with dried flowers.. yikes!!! I missed that one.
I always thought of her as a crafter definitely not a knitter. I like some of her stuff.. back when I wasn't homeschooling and could sit and watch some HGTV I watched her show pretty regularly!
D

Oh yeah!! I have a Blog now! www.kwon.relatedhelp.com
Go to Top of Page

KittyLitterKnitter
Warming Up

88 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  06:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit KittyLitterKnitter's Homepage Send KittyLitterKnitter a Private Message
I have to agree with Carols. I love the name, and so do my cats!

"When I die I want to go like my grandfather, peacefully and in my sleep---Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."

Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  09:46:42 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
A few of the sweaters are now up at amazon.com I like them,but I think I'll wait and check her book out of the library before deciding on a purchase.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

cat.k.
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  10:24:30 AM  Show Profile Send cat.k. a Private Message
Covering a ceiling with hot-glued flowers ... reminds me of the "Trading Spaces" where Hildy stapled fake flowers all over the walls of a bathroom.

She didn't see why the owners might have any objections.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:49:10 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
I was able to snag this book for $4.75 at half.com so I gave in and bought it.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  10:37:20 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
I received this book yesterday and I'm glad I did not pay list price. Why? Let me count the ways.
1. She does not name the yarn used for any project. Instead there are fuzzy pictures of the yarns.
2. There are no schematics for the sweaters.
3. She does not finish her sweaters. Instead, Kitty knits up the pieces and pays a finisher. She recommends we all do this.
4. Lots and lots of mohair.
5. The sizes of the pictured sweaters are not given.
6. Ms. Barthlomew says she sometimes picks out yarn and asks her local shop owner to design a sweater. The Iowa Gray Mylar Tweed Sweater was designed by an unnamed shop owner.
I think she had knit many sweaters and was persuaded to come out with a book, but in some cases could not remember exactly which yarn she used.
Debra
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?