Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 LYS in Evanston IL?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

samsgrams
Chatty Knitter

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  4:02:34 PM  Show Profile Send samsgrams a Private Message
I am also off to visit my daughter in Evanston. Any good LYS there or nearby?

samsgrams

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  2:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
I was there on the college tour with my daughter a couple of years ago. I found a shop, Closeknit, small but well-stocked and very welcoming. The address is 622 Grove Street,in the center of town (not next to campus).

Laura
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  4:02:42 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
I believe there are a couple listed on woolworks.org. I've never been to any of them, though.

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  2:29:18 PM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
I haven't been to the ones in Evanston but there are LYS in Winnetka, Glenview, Northbrook , Lake Forest , Long Grove each town is a bit north and sometimes Northwest of Evanston.
Go to Top of Page

sunnyneedles
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  8:12:27 PM  Show Profile Send sunnyneedles a Private Message
Arcadia Knitting is in Chicago, technically, but it's on the north side of the city and when I lived in that area I drove to Evanston all the time (about 20 minutes). It's at Lawrence and Ashland or check out arcadiaknitting.com for more info. Evanston's a great town!
Go to Top of Page

samsgrams
Chatty Knitter

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  11:29:08 AM  Show Profile Send samsgrams a Private Message
Just got back from Evanston and visited four LYS in the area - CloseKnits in Evanston was small but well stocked. A new one in Wicker Park, called Nina, was very elegant, beautiful displays, but next to no selection. On Oak Street, there is one called We'll Keep You in Stictches, on the 4th floor. Lots of interesting yarn, but the shop is a mess and it was hard to just browse through. Loved Arcadia - great selection and very helpful staff. I will definitely go back there!

samsgrams
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  12:19:06 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
That's too bad about Nina. I was there right after they opened and was hoping that the minimal stock was a symptom of either opening before they were quite ready, or selling out of things too quickly when they opened.

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people
Go to Top of Page

VickiSayre
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  11:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit VickiSayre's Homepage Send VickiSayre a Private Message
Just thought I'd put a plug in for my Chicago shop. We opened September 9th in the South Loop (about 1.5 miles south of We'll Keep You In Stitches). It's called Loopy Yarns. Our addresss is 719 S. State St. and our website is www.loopyyarns.com. We've gotten great reviews on many blogs throughout the country. We are strategically positioned near the Hilton and Congress Hotels on South Michigan and in the middle of dorms and classrooms for Columbia College, School of the Art Institute, Roosevelt University, DePaul University, Morris College, and Jones Technical.

We carry a wide variety of yarns to keep our diverse shoppers happy. From Plymouth to Karabella to rough hand dyed yarns. We also have an extensive assortment of our local pride and joy, Lorna's Laces, particularly their sock yarn. I love socks so we have quite a few different brands.

Vicki in Chicago
Go to Top of Page

samsgrams
Chatty Knitter

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  11:52:48 AM  Show Profile Send samsgrams a Private Message
Thanks for the Chicago update. I will be sure to visit LoopyYarns when I make my next trip to Chicago - afer the tundra melts.

samsgrams
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  07:16:50 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message
Vicki in Chicago, I have been ordering from loopy Yarns online. It the One year anniversary. I love the yarn and the friendly staff. Crig is very helpful. I can't wait to check out the downtown store. Donna from Chicago

Donna Watkins
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  09:06:05 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Oooh, thanks for the reminder--I'd been meaning to check out your shop. Always happy to find yarn shops open on Mondays & Tuesdays--so many are closed one or both!

--------

Poetry reading group: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  7:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
Hi all-

I think I will certainly be checking out Loopy, I think it's close to my office, which could be extreamly dangerous!

I just went to Nina, and I thought it was really nice. Not a huge selection, lots of Rowan, but I wouldn't say it was a bad/small selection either. definately enough for me to spend some cash- (I bought some malabrigo and rowan )

I am also ISO any shops up north, near Gurnee Mills, if anyone has any info...

Thanks!

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin agian more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

LesleyKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  09:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit LesleyKnits's Homepage Send LesleyKnits a Private Message
Windy City Knitting Guild has a great list of all knitting stores in Chicago and the burbs. It looks like they just added a comments section too! Vicki, your store got a nice comment :)

The link is: http://www.windycityknittingguild.com/knitshops.htm

Eggshel344, it looks like there are a few fairly close to Gurnee.

Lesley

I have a blog! http://honeybeeknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.