Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Confessions of a Small Stash
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aranworld
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  07:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit aranworld's Homepage Send aranworld a Private Message
I have been knitting off and on for about 17 years, and my "stash" fits inside of a single plastic storage container that sits on a shelf in my closet.

Actually, I'm not really sure it counts as a stash, because the yarn in the container is mostly leftover yarn from past projects. I do have a couple of GGH skeins that I bought out of pure curiosity, but otherwise, I only buy yarn for projects that I am immediately going to start working on.

I actually think it is a bit silly to beat yourself up over owning a large stash. If you have the money for it, why not? But if you are wondering if it is possible to be a knitter, and have a small stash of yarn, I can say for certain that it is possible.

http://www.aranworld.com/

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  09:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
My stash sounds very much like yours, Aran. It's one dresser drawer of mostly leftover bits. Of course, I also have one drawer of doll-making stuff, one of sewing stuff, and one of spinning stuff, plus two small drawers of knitting notions and sewing notions. Still, not really a stash.

When I visit friends who DO have a stash, I feel very envious. Probably when the kids are grown and my grocery bill goes down, I'll start building a stash. Meanwhile, I'll just stick to my buy it only when I use it plan.

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  09:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
All of my yarn fits in a dresser drawer. My actual "stash" is 6 balls of Lion Brand Woolease Sport (on sale at $1 each - couldn't pass it up) and a lot of hemp/cotton blend that should become someone's (or sometwo's) Christmas gifts. I have several balls of sock yarn that some kind KR people sent me for experimenting with ice cream pint cozies. The other yarn on hand was either purchased for a particular purpose (this year's Christmas presents) or leftover from a previous project. The leftovers will most likely become part of the ice cream pint cozies since I decided to do a worsted weight acrylic as the carrier yarn with the sock yarn for the cozies (want the elastic of the Fixation but the insulation of the worsted) so I will be cutting down the stash. Yay! Makes room for new yarn.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FO: 11, WIP: 1
trek's blog

"As for me and my house..."
Go to Top of Page

Hermione
Chatty Knitter

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  11:17:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hermione's Homepage Send Hermione a Private Message
My stash is pretty small too; right now it consists of three types of yarns for sweaters that I don't have the heart to finish, and a few random balls from leftover projects. It all fits into one milk crate . . . sometimes I wish I had a huge stash, but other times I'm glad I don't- I'm sure I would be overwhlemed if I had as large a stash as I've seen around the blogs, heh.

Insufferable Know it All (who really doesn't know it all)
http://www.livejournal.com/~theknitpicker
Go to Top of Page

LesleyKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  10:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit LesleyKnits's Homepage Send LesleyKnits a Private Message
I have a small stash too and I probably will always have one. Every yarn I own is earmarked for a specific future project. I have a little leftover from my knitting class and FOs but I'll eventually use it up somehow. It all fits in a medium-sized container.

I don't think I'd ever have a large stash because I wouldn't know how much to buy if I found a yarn I loved!
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  11:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Wow, I am slightly envious. I have a dresser, small closet and a desk hutch full of yarn, a bit of spinning fiber, and beads. I just put it all in my fiber room last week and was shocked to see that I filled the dresser that we just moved in there. I guess I should knit more and shop a bit less.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  11:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
I try to keep my stash at a reasonable amount- mostly leftover bits and yarn for two or three patterns to be used relatively quickly. I do have a few skeins here and there of stuff I just coudn't resist- and that have become sentimental. But I try to control myself- being a student, I don't have the expendable income for lots of yarn.

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  12:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
I've been on a big time yarn diet lately - I am committed to knitting it down before buying more - the Webs year end sale is in a month and I want to get as much knitted before then!

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  1:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
My stash would fit in a dresser drawer, too. If the dresser were the size of a fridge, I guess... (:

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

m11721
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  3:01:53 PM  Show Profile Send m11721 a Private Message
My stash is two projects in waiting, 4 balls of sock yarn, and leftovers from projects over the 30 years I've been knitting (I started at 10). I'm still trying to figure out a use for some of those leftovers. I have finally given myself permission to throw some things away, especially if it was inexpensive and I have very little left.
Go to Top of Page

imamamaof2
Chatty Knitter

178 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  7:26:38 PM  Show Profile Send imamamaof2 a Private Message
I also do not have a very large stash. I'm afraid that if I buy too much ahead that I'll change my mind before I get around to each project. And I'm a real "type A" kind of girl. I have to have a plan... So far I have been able to stop myself from buying yarn unless I have a plan in mind for it. However, I do have a couple of random skeins around. Just because I liked them... It is definitely tempting! Especially the really soft ones...
Go to Top of Page

Rakuqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  7:57:06 PM  Show Profile Send Rakuqueen a Private Message
We live on a sail boat, soooo I have very little room for a stash.
But, I have a part time job at the lys, sooo I have, in fact, a very large stash! Everything balances out. I'v just been knitting a year, my mother-in-law has been knitting over 60 years. Her winter project is to orangize her stash. It will, really be, my fater-in-law's winter project.

Rakuqueen
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  9:49:07 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I just cleaned out my yarn area today, like everybody else I don't have much. 4 pairs of socks, 1 sweater and a few misc skeins for hats or mittens.
I live in a 5th wheel so I don't have alot of room.
Truth be told I have been collection books lately, so I have an idea what to do with yarn I have.

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  5:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
to Karknit and Rakuqueen have you ever heard of a WONDERFUL machine called foodsaver -- you can make the bags whatever size you want to and shrink those suckers down to nothing. And if your SO's fish or hunt or anything you can use them as the excuse to get one it will keep things fresh longer. I love my foodsaver and could go on and on about it.

rho
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  6:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
I too have a FOOD SAVER!!! I LOVE IT...and use it for much more then food!!

Wendy

Somewhere in Texas there's a village missing its idiot!
... My Knitting Blog.... My Other Nonsense
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  7:25:49 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Atavistic

My stash would fit in a dresser drawer, too. If the dresser were the size of a fridge, I guess... (:

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."

LOL! Good one, Amanda!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe