Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 Sniffers Anonymous
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnittnChick
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  11:16:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittnChick's Homepage Send KnittnChick a Private Message
Hi, my name is Heather, and I'm a yarn sniffer.

People in stores must think I hear voices. Seriously. I grab some yarn and sniff it first. Then I rub it on my cheek, neck, and inner arm. Then I close my eyes and rub it between my fingers for a while. Sometimes, I rub it on my ear to see if it sounds scratchy. Yep, I'm a freak. Of course, this all means something to me, but to others, I'm sure they think I am a complete nutcase. Rubbing it on sensitive areas tells me if I'm going to have to be careful of who I give the finished piece to. Closing my eyes and rubbing the yarn just is for pure pleasure. I imagine feeling it as a fully-knitted garment. Rubbing it on my ear tells me if it sounds scratchy...if it does, I won't make it in to a headband or headscarf. Now the sniffing....this does sound weird, even to me. I won't knit with smelly yarns. Some yarn I've knit with in the past has a very chemical smell, and it makes for knitting hell for me. I hate stinky yarns. *sigh* I feel so much better having shared this. Thank you for listening.

I swear! I'm only going to look at the yarn this time.

Hermione
Chatty Knitter

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  11:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hermione's Homepage Send Hermione a Private Message
LOL. Your post made me giggle . . .

I don't sniff yarn, but I know what you mean about stinky yarns. That's why I can never knit with Noro's stuff, yummy as it looks and feels (sometimes). It just has a peculiar smell to me that I can't imagine wearing next to my skin. Some smells, textures, and colors just remind me very vividly of unpleasant places, and for the life of me, I can't approach them.

Just my two cents :-D

Insufferable Know it All (who really doesn't know it all)
http://www.livejournal.com/~theknitpicker
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  3:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
I'm definately another one who takes a sniff of the yarn before I buy... some yarns really smell funny (like petroleum or something) and there's no way to get rid of them odor..
glad I'm not the only one!

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  6:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SpinaYarn

some yarns really smell funny (like petroleum or something) and there's no way to get rid of them odor..

OMG...that is so funny that you posted that because I've noticed that all the washcloths I knitted with Sugar N Creme smell like petroleum....I can't figure it out....but now I know...I'm going to have to start sniffing the yarn!

~Wendy

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"

My blog and other such nonsense... 2 Wet Fins
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  07:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
I've knit with sugar & cream dozens of times and never noticed a petroleum smell. And I'm definitely a yarn sniffer! That's odd.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  08:58:41 AM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
I'm a yarn smeller, and I really dig the lanolin smell.

The petroleum smell is gross! It's such a tease - pretty yarn that stinks so badly.

Tanya
Go to Top of Page

Roxanne
Seriously Hooked

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  10:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Roxanne's Homepage Send Roxanne a Private Message
Cute story!! I tend to spend time with the yarn too before buying it...twirling it in my hands and fondling it... I have been known to sneak a sniff or two too....LOL! Why not? You have to like it in the end and if it means satisfying all your senses, whatever they may be, I say go for it! Smell away.....LOL!

"Success is a Journey; not a Destination"
My Blog: http://knitnpurlzen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  07:46:32 AM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
I like to touch and feel the yarn. I don't necessarily sniff it. My sister(who doesn't knit) sniffs almost everything. She is 40 years old and she has been doing this for almost that long. Her daughter who is 2 1/2 does the exact same thing.
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  07:16:34 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
I smell it too, then have to rub it on my upper lip. Usually I turn away for that one.

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

meme527
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  9:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit meme527's Homepage  Send meme527 a Yahoo! Message Send meme527 a Private Message
i, too, am guilty of this pleasure.

and why not? we aren't hurting anybody :D

i love the smell of silk.

i once stood next to a diane von furstenberg dress for a suspiciously long time, because it smelled so good.

yum.
Go to Top of Page

Kik
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  10:06:35 PM  Show Profile Send Kik a Private Message
I feel SO much better. I thought I was the only one who sniffed yarn! Ever since I was tiny I remember loving the smell of lanolin and I just love the smell of wool yarn. Also, I grew up a cotton farmer's daughter, who at the time didn't knit nor know anyone who did. But I'll say this, there is nothing like the smell of cotton after the bowls have burst open! And I love knitting with cotton, but it just doesn't have that scent to it.
Go to Top of Page

Snuffpat
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  09:44:30 AM  Show Profile Send Snuffpat a Private Message
Did you ever notice a smell in some LYS you visit. Sometimes you get a "stuffy" smell. When I was a novice yarn buyer (well before my stashes) I would think that maybe it was the store and I would shy away from it. Then I realized that lots of yarns especially wools have a smell. Now I put on a little extra perfume and suffer through whatever yarn shop I come across....it's the least I can do.
Go to Top of Page

simpleknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  09:59:24 AM  Show Profile Send simpleknitter a Private Message
the vinegar smell of the "mordant"--- on Schaefer yarns turns my stomach. I have sold all that I bought---except one lone skein of sock yarn, Anne, that I couldn't smell it on. why don't they rinse it more?
Go to Top of Page

KnittingGrammy
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  11:19:30 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingGrammy a Private Message
Hi, I've never participated in these forums before until I read this topic. How funny. I love to sniff the wool and work with the ones that have a strong lanolin smell. It's great for your hands too! After the garment is finished, as in a sweater, I just love carrying the sheep smell with me, makes me feel more connected to nature. I think it is funny to find the odd piece of straw or hay spun into the yarn as well. When my group brings in a bag of donated yarn without labels I sniff them all to find the precious woolies.
knitting*grammy
Go to Top of Page

Imknittin
Chatty Knitter

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  12:22:46 PM  Show Profile Send Imknittin a Private Message
I love this topic! I now don't feel alone! I can just imagine us all thinking we are the strange ones doing our little touching and sniffing in the yarn stores, but if we'd only look around....The ones who aren't must be the freaks![:00] I have always been a very tactile person and I have to smell the yarn first. If it doesn't smell good, it goes back on the shelf right away! [crazy] Then I have to feel it between my fingers to see if I'm going to like working with it. And then I rub it on my cheek or my arms or both just for the pure pleasure of it! I love yarn! I love this site! These posts have made me laugh so much my sides hurt![:00]

Angie
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  1:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by franna724

I've knit with sugar & cream dozens of times and never noticed a petroleum smell. And I'm definitely a yarn sniffer! That's odd.
Anna

Hmmmm....perhaps I just got a bad batch??? Perhaps it was shipped in boxes that picked up the petroleum smell from something else shipped in the truck??? Who knows?? I love Sugar & Cream for dishclothes as it is absorbant so it picks up stuff well and it's cheap to buy....I'll give it another try the next time I need some new dishcloths.

~Wendy

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"

My blog and other such nonsense... 2 Wet Fins
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  1:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
After having dealt with the smoky LYS, I'm a bit paranoid about weird smells in my yarn. SO yes, I absolutely smell my yarn before purchasing - especially if in a new store or one that I don't shop at all that often!

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

cirilia@hotmail.com

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  4:38:17 PM  Show Profile Send cirilia@hotmail.com a Private Message
I have to tell you all about the best sniff I ever had--Misti Alpaca Chunky. It's one part animal, one part roses. It has a delicate clean smell like laundry, and I can often be found at work, face buried in it.

Another that I love, Malabrigo handpainted. The vinegar they use to set the dyes is offensive to some and bliss to others.
Go to Top of Page

Pampered Punkin
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  10:04:58 PM  Show Profile Send Pampered Punkin a Private Message
Dido on silk!!! I absolutely love the way it smells.

I ordered yarn from a website and when the box came in the mail it smelled (and looked) like it had been sitting in a mechanic's shop for a very long time. I was worried that the dirty stains on the outside of the box had soaked through and damaged the yarn. I didn't find any stains on any of the yarn but the smell was on everything in the box. It came out when I washed the finished garment but it was not pleasant to knit with.
Go to Top of Page

KnitwitNYC
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  07:42:41 AM  Show Profile Send KnitwitNYC a Private Message
Hi, My name is Dj and I am a yarn sniffer.
I am so happy to know I am not alone.
Thank you Heather for your wonderful testimony.
I think we all recgonize each other in our LYS and
are just afraid to appoach each other. No more!
I am going to embrace my addiction.

Keep Stichin'
Dj
Go to Top of Page

juliannking@yahoo.com

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  08:29:06 AM  Show Profile Send juliannking@yahoo.com a Private Message
Sniffing is Good! Especially if you spin and/or dye your own yarn!I love the smell of the wool. I got some buffalo fiber from a friend to spin, and my cats buried themselves under it, rolled in it, and slept in it. I even like the smell of well composted manure for the garden. I hate the smell of the petro-chemicals used in commercial spinning and dyeing. But I love the feel of a good woolen yarn as I am knitting.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?