Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Sequined & other novelty yarns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

msroser@yahoo.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  09:49:09 AM  Show Profile Send msroser@yahoo.com a Private Message
I enjoyed the article about the new Berocco sequin yarn. The author's trouble in getting the sequins to the front side of the work prompted me to remember something Maggie Righetti wrote.

When you work with a novelty yarns with wider areas of slubs or whatever (including sequins), those wider areas have a tendency to end up on the "purl" side of your work. If you want to get the most bang for your novelty yarn buck, you should knit items in reverse stockinette. Or, use bands of garter stitch, where more slubs or sequins will show, to bring out the novelty yarn features in selected spots.

rb

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  11:50:41 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
That's good to know! I was doing a test swatch yesterday of Sirdar's Kool Kidz and the "confetti" bits did seem to end up more on the purl side of st.st. But how would you alter a pattern to using reverse st.st.? I'm just seeing what my gauge is and I'm trying to find some chunky weight hat patterns.

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  07:08:52 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I made my mom the Paris scarf using Furz and Laser FX, the sequin yarn. The scarf came out great, it's got lots of pizzazz. People stopped and commented on it constantly while I was knitting. Sequins really draw people! Most of the time I had no trouble knitting with the Laser FX. But when the sequins tangled with each other, watch out! I had a few sweaty moments, detangling sequins, mentally cursing them out. That's the only reason I would not jump to knit this scarf again. But then again it's been 3 months and when I see my mom's.....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe