Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 portable circular needle storage?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  12:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
I'm looking for a way to store all my wonderful Addi circulars, and still be able to take them with me in my bag. I've got quite a collection now of all sizes in various lengths (24", 32", some 40") Mainly two or three in each size (I do socks on 2 circs).

I don't like taking out a few for each project and putting them in my bag loose (esp if I'm not sure which size needle I'll need to get gauge), last time I did that I was hunting down stray needles for forever. If they don't have stitches on them,I want them in some sort of case.
Right now they are stored in the plastic sleeves they are sold in, and all in a bigger ziploc bag. I keep them sorted by size so it's easy to find one.

I read a suggestion to use flat zipper-style pencil cases that fit into a three ring binder. I found some at Target on sale, but they are so bulky and they only fit in the larger three ring binders. So I'm left with something even bulkier and heavier to carry if I go that route.

Someone else suggested a CD case, but I couldn't figure out how to get the longer lengths in there wihtout really wrapping them tightly in a circle, and even then the points still stick out so I couldn't zip the case closed. Maybe I just had the wrong kind of CD case? If someone uses this method and could take a picture to share online, that'd be great!

Any other suggestions for portable circular needle storage?

-Nancy

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4385 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  2:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Hi, Nancy -- I don't know if the kind I have is still made (maybe someone out there will know), but it fits all your needs, I think. It was made by Mulberry Bush Designs (no luck on a Google search). I'll describe it, and hope that someone will know about it or something like it. It's made of sports-bag-type nylon, and it closes with velcro. It opens like a book, and inside there are 12 open-ended pouches that lay flat, 6 on each side, like a little file system. I can store all my circular needles plus a few extra do-dads, and it folds up and goes right in my basket or bag. I've had it for at least 10 years, and I think I ordered it from some catalog somewhere. I wish I could really help you, but I'll throw this to the four winds and hope for the best!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

newtoknit
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  5:56:37 PM  Show Profile Send newtoknit a Private Message
Call "All About Yarn" in Millburn, NJ. They have the circular bag the post above was talking about. It's under a different name now, but I just saw it there, and it is wonderful for circulars. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  2:32:34 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
It's amazing how the same topics come up at the same time on the two knitting lists I'm reading! Ample Knitters is discussing circular portability right now, too! Many of them have said they use some kind of "tackle binders" used by fishermen to hold rubber worm lures. Apparently, these are canvas binders which zip closed and have mesh or plastic zip lock type bags in them. They are inexpensive and most are expandible. They're all raving about how easy they make carrying around your circs. Check out Bass Pro shop on line and enter tackle binder in their search engine.

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  2:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
Well, curiosity got the best of me and I quickly typed in what I thought was bassproshop....I typed in brassproshop...do not do this! I'd heard about sites like this but have never encounted them.

So, then I carefully typed bassproshop and ended up at a guitar site...so before it becomes worse...I don't know how...can you please post the site link..

Thanks
Linda...who's still blushing

"Randy lay there like a slug...it was his only defense." Ralphie
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  4:53:15 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Soooooo sorry! I didn't try the site you went to...

I'm a big one to use search engines...so I just searched on it. This is the url:

www.basspro.com

again...sorry!!

chsri (incognito)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  10:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
Thanks for your replies everyone!

I went hunting (or should I say "fishing?") at my local sporting goods store to find one of these worm tackle binder things. I went to a fly shop and got really strange looks from the men who were in there. (My DH tells me after the fact that he could have told me they didn't carry them if I had only told him what I was looking for!) So they didn't have them, but the local Mega super store (Galyan's) did. There were a variety of sizes: Worm ones, Spin ones, all sorts of colors and stuff. They zip closed and are of a thin canvas stuff. They have two rings in one end that you can put your bags onto.

I got a generic one, but the ziplocs in it are too small to hold my circs (but of really good quality). They come with sticky things that you can attach to your own ziplocks and I bought some extra so I wouldn't have to go back to the store later. I will attach those to my addi turbo ziplocs the needles come in, and I think I've got a good solution! It can zipper closed so I won't lose my needles, and it's fairly lightweight so it won't weigh my bag down too much.

I still want to checkout that circular bag mentioned above.

The store also had every size platic box with different dividers and various sizes imaginable!! I spent some time looking through all those too and picked out a small one for my knitting accessories. Got it home to find out my small scissors don't fit it! Owell, it's a cute box and I just love those things. Either I'll find new scissors or get another box at some point.

-Nancy

Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  12:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
Is this the case you're talking about?
http://www.halcyonyarn.com/knitandcrochet/knitneedleset.html

Listed here at this site for $31.95...

Also some nice looking bags (but the pics are really horrible) at this site?
http://www.swakknit.com/Yarn%20Shop/gizmos/storage.html

I think I'll be obsessed with this until I find the perfect bag! =)

-Nancy

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4385 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  5:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
No, the one I have is different -- a bit bulkier, maybe. The idea's the same, though. I like my nylon one because it's so sturdy and the needles will never poke out. At least we're finding out how many kinds of needle cases are out there!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  7:35:40 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I ordered 2 of the larger tackle binders from basspro.com and got them in a few days, along with some extra zip bags. They hold a lot of needles! I put my cheap needles in one and my good Addis and Inox in another. They are great and what a deal at only $6 each! Thanks for putting me on to this!

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

WendyE
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  10:41:23 AM  Show Profile Send WendyE a Private Message
These were all ideas as I too am choking on too many circulars. I have also passed along the best suggestions to another list I belong too I hope you don't mind, they will surely benefit from them as avid lace knitters (which they are)have tons of circulars!

When I visit, in May, my two daughters In Boulder, CO I will have to stop in at the gorgeous Galyans in the newish Flatirons Mall near to them. I love any excuse to go there and so do they! This could be my next Birthday Present from them. So thanks for all the suggestions!!

www.Swakknit.com also had lots of other interesting things on their site, try clicking on their home page icon for "Lantern Moon Baskets", there are a lot of bags that can be used for toting around one's knitting and at all sorts of prices.

Thanks -- WendyE, Happily Knitting In Tampa, FL

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  10:43:57 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Nancy: I saw a case or two in the new Patternworks catalogue which just came as well as in the Yarn Barn of Kansas 2003 Knitting Catalog. Their website is www.yarnbarn-ks.com. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

HeidiP
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  10:51:46 AM  Show Profile Send HeidiP a Private Message
The Circular Needle cases I use are great, they're also like a CD case, leather with a snap closure and inside clear plastic pouches to store your needles; I keep all of my Addi Turbos in several cases; I think they're great -- ordered them from Patternworks... they're not cheap but they're functional and seem to hold up well.
Go to Top of Page

ewalkerbrown@yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  10:56:51 AM  Show Profile Send ewalkerbrown@yahoo.com a Private Message
I've found that the small makeup cases that you can find at Target or Old Navy are good for circular needles. They also have small pockets inside to hide other tools. I was able to store almost all my circulars in one case!
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  1:56:08 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Wow! I'm going to look for one too! And while we're all at the tackle shop, check out the clear plastic lure cases. I use the huge ones to hold my earrings and rings and I have a small one to hold stitch markers and other little things. they're cheap too!

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2010 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  4:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Love all these ideas & thanks for listing the Bass Pro shop link, Chris. I have also been trying to organize my circs & I found a couple of items at the Dollar Store that I am trying. They sell large plastic (I bought purple - a fav color) accordion files w/7 or so sections. The circs can be wound a bit & placed in one of the sections.
They also sell something that seems like a large pencil holder, made of plastic, zip lock closure & will fit in a 3 ring binder (2 of these for $1.00). Sorry - my description is not terribly lucid. We have an extra notebook that I can use for these inserts.
I have to say that if I knew about the Bass Pro binders first, I would have ordered those - much cooler & easier.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  8:18:25 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Martha: Today at Stitches I saw a canvas-like binder with large plastic zip lock type sheets that would accommodate just such things as circular needles when you are transporting them. The only problem with the item I saw is that it is quite large. The inserts are something like 12 or so inches x 16 or so inches and there were quite a number of them. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

nwilson02
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  07:25:04 AM  Show Profile Send nwilson02 a Private Message
Has anyone tried looking at Wal-Mart for these tackle binders? We travel around alot with my husbands job so recently I've not been in one place long enough to place orders so I was wondering if Wal-Mart might carry something like these?

I have the canvas storage solution hanging circular holder that I keep in my closet in the RV but some of my needles fall out so am thinking the tackle binder might be a better solution to my problem.

Nancy

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  8:25:49 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I got my circs all tucked away in their little ziplocks. I borrowed a label maker from work and labeled each bag eith things like Addi 2/24. It's so nice!

I also bought NeedleTrax from Mary Moran and entered my circs into that database. I'll get organized one day!

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

nwilson02
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile Send nwilson02 a Private Message
I checked at Wal-Mart last night and the fishing dept. hadn't even heard of tackle binders much less have them in stock. I found them on-line at Bass Pro Shops (already mentioned) and at Cabelas.com. Cabela's has a bigger selection and some of the binders had handles on them which would make them easier in my mind to carry if you have a handful of knitting stuff. Their prices vary from $5 up to $40 for the name brand professional tackle binders.

Guess I'll just have to wait till we're in one place long enough to order or if we go by a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop.

Go to Top of Page

Jemma
Chatty Knitter

134 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  12:16:19 PM  Show Profile Send Jemma a Private Message
Since we mostly travel by car, this solution works well for me: I stack all my needles into a shoe-box type plastic box with a hinged lid, the kind that are sold at most discount stores. My circluars are still on their original cards (this dates me!)or in their plastic envelopes, with the size and length given. I stack them by size and can easily locate what I need. This little box also holds my dp's, most straights, crochet hooks, and other doo-dads, too. I can toss it into the trunk of the car for a trip. Then, if I start a new project away from home, I don't have to buy the necessary needles all over again.
Hope this will be of help to someone!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?