Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 Favorite crockpot recipes?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  2:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Lissa, we bought a lamp timer for less than 5 bucks. We can set it to start and stop whenever we want. It's fabulous.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  3:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Yep, that's obviously what I need to do. Thanks.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  4:39:46 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Wendy, we make nearly the same bean dish you do, except...we don't bother with the slow cooker at all. We use 2 large cans of small red beans (they taste fabulous, require no extra seasoning...and they're cheap).

It takes about 10 minutes to heat the beans and at the same time chop fresh tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, avocados and we also add chopped DE-SEEDED jalapenos.

Put the heated beans in individual serving size bowls, juice and all...and let everyone top their own with grated cheese and the other toppings above.

It's fabulous, filling and fresh, and very quick to the table. We love them!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  09:21:07 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
I love this topic! We made chicken and dumplings in the crockpot last weekend. It was a big hit. I say we, because I did the chicken and veg and hubby made the dumplings.
Pour a small amt of olive oil in crockpot.
Turn to High.
Add bay leaf,s&p,crushed pepper flakes,rosemary. Place veggies on top,onions or shallots,whole small mushrooms,carrots cut in chunks. Put lid on crockpot.
Place flour,s&p in bag and toss chicken. Brown chicken in hot pan w/olive oil and butter,5 min each side.
As chicken cooks, drain on paper towels and add to crockpot. Add enough BEEF broth to cover,along with 1 Tblspoon red wine vinegar and juice from a lemon or lime.
Cook til done,then make dumplings,place on top and replace lid. Dumplings took about 20 minutes.
Sauteeing the chicken really increases the flavor.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  1:54:43 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
But Debra- You forgot the dumpling recipe! We need that also as dumplings can be tricky. Please tell us. KL
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  6:05:21 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
My mom used to use the crock pot a lot, but now we have cats. We're scared they would get burned and we wouldn't be home to know.. anyone have any insight?

-Katie

"I remember when getting high meant swinging at the playgrounds. The worst thing you could get from a boy was cooties. Race issues were who could run the fastest. The only thing you smoked was the tires on your bike. Life was so simple and carefree, but the thing I remember the most was wanting to grow up."
-Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  8:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I wouldn't worry about the cats. Here's why -

1. A full crockpot is HEAVY! Heavier than a cat, by far. So there's no way the cat could knock the pot over unless the pot was dangerously close to the counter edge anyway.

2. Cats are pretty good at staying away from hot things. They'll smell at it, and they might "touch" the side, but they'll feel right away that it's hot and they'll leave it alone.

3. Cats shouldn't be on the counter anyway. If they're properly trained to stay off the counter and tables, they're at no risk at all. Wanna know how to train them? It's very easy. Just cover the counter with aluminum foil. Put it just far enough away from the counter edge that the kitties can't see it from the floor. Do the same with the tables. You may want to use a few pieces of tape to keep the foil from moving around. Just keep it that way for a week or two. Most cats HATE the feel and sound of aluminum foil crunching under their paws. They'll get right down, and fast, too! Once they try it a few times, they'll learn that it's cat-nasty up there, and they won't get on the counter or table again. If yours is the rare cat who doesn't mind foil, try plastic grocery bags, or for the really recalcitrant cat, coat the counter with vegetable oil. A firm "NO" and a quick removal to the floor works pretty well, too.

I've had nearly 20 cats over the course of my lifetime, and none has ever continued getting on table or counter for more than two weeks.

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  10:19:49 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
Ok Dumplings.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking power
1 and 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
3 Tblspoons butter or margarine
1 egg
Milk
Parsley or rosemary (small amt)
1.Combine flour,baking powder,salt,sugar and pepper and herb
2. Cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles corn meal
3. Break egg into cup and add enough milk to make 1 cup,beat well. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until flour is moistened.
Drop dumplings by teaspoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover cook 10 minutes;uncover cook 5 or 10 more minutes.
Debra

Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  11:49:01 AM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
Sweet... I was just thinking that it was about time to whip out my crockpot. Now I have some new recipes to try! My boyfriend hates the bloody thing because he works at home and has to smell yummy food all day and can't touch it until I get home... that and he's had a few too many gross, mushy crockpot dinners. But he really enjoys my chili (just one of those "throw in whatever you have" deals). That's it, it's getting dusted off tonight! I simply *must* try that chicken/veggie/dumpling recipe!

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  06:58:29 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
Someone mentioned cooking for one or two. www.vermontcountrystore.com sells a mini crockpot, 1 and 1/2 quarts, but it does not seem to have a temperature setting.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  07:05:22 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
www.crockpot.com sells the mini for $9.99 Ok now I've tempted myself. I could start Irish steelcut oatmeal in it the night before. Yum!
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaG
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  09:25:36 AM  Show Profile Send PatriciaG a Private Message
I admire anyone who cooks from scratch, but I'm not one of them. I'm into "easy". I use bisquick for dumplings and everyone that tries them really likes them. When my husband makes dumplings, he uses the biscuits that come in the round - (you tap them open and bake them).

So instead of baking, he cuts them in quarters and puts them on top of the liquid in the pot. I couldn't tell the difference. Made great dumplings.

Patrica in West Sac., CA.

"How did I get over the hill without getting up to the top"
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  10:04:37 AM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
This is easy, deelish, and can be made the skinny way.
Buy a bag of frozen skinless chicken breasts. Put them in the crockpot frozen and cover them with a can of fat free cream of celery soup (or mushroom, or chicken . . . ), a tub of non/lowfat sour cream, a can of chicken stock, an onion chopped into chunks(optional), new pototatoes (optional), a packet of Lipton soup mix, and then go to work. It won't incinerate and it tastes great. I don't put veggies in unless I have an hour or so once I get home and add them them - frozen broccoli or whatever. By waiting till the end, they don't overcook. Enjoy.

Ooooohh. I also have a great recipe for Crockpot Eggs Benedict. Will get the recipe and post it later. That one is really great for buffet breakfasts - maybe not an allday cook. Hmmmm.
Go to Top of Page

plath
Gabber Extraordinaire

460 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  2:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit plath's Homepage Send plath a Private Message
Ok here are some of my recipes. Finally! Sorry 'bout that.

Yummy crockpot baked beans
1 can vegetarian baked beans
1 8 oz can pineapple tidbits, drained
1/2 c. barbeque sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 TB soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
salt & pepper (to taste)
hot sauce (to taste)

Combine all in crockpot and cook all day on low or until hot and bubbly.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

2 16 oz packages of frozen brocoli
2 10 3/4 cans cheddar cheese soup
2 12 oz cans evaporated milk
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients in crock pot.
Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.

Goulash
3 lbs ground beef (I use 1 1/2 lb equivalent of veggie "meat")
1 c chopped onions (I usually use dried, minced)
1 TB oil
26 oz tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
1 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp pepper
2 TB brown sugar
2 cans veggie broth
8 oz dry elbow macaroni
1 c. grated cheddar cheese

Brown beef and onion in oil (or just the beef, if using dried onions). Combine all ingredients except cheese. Pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 1 hr, and then reduce to low, cook 4 more hours. Sprinkle with cheese and cook 10 min. more.

I usually add oregano, basil, garlic powder and whatever else sounds good at the time (mushrooms, etc).

The recipe also says you can use just 1 1/2 lbs ground beef if you add another 1/2-1 c. dried macaroni, which is what I usually do.

CROCKPOT SPINACH

2 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach
2 cups cottage cheese
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups American or cheddar cheese -- shredded
3 eggs -- slightly beaten
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt

Thaw and drain spinach. Squeeze out as much water as possible. Combine cottage cheese, butter, and shredded cheese. Add to drained spinach. Combine eggs with flour and salt, and add to spinach/cheese mixture. Place in greased crockpot and cook on low for 3-5 hours.

ALL DAY MACARONI AND CHEESE

8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
4 cups(16 ounces) shredded sharp Chedder Cheese
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Place the cooked macaroni in crockpot that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Add the remaining ingredents, all except 1 cup of the cheese, mix well. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese and then cover and cook on low setting for 5 to 6 hours or until the mixture is firm and golden around the edges. Do not remove the cover or stir until it has finished cooking.

CROCKPOT CREAMY RED POTATOES

2 lbs small red potatoes, quartered
2 (8 oz) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1 can cream of potato soup, undiluted
1 envelope rance salad dressing mix

Place potatoes in crockpot. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, soup and salad dressing, mix. Stir into potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender. I also added about a tablespoon of milk.

LAZY CABBAGE ROLLS
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/2 cabbage, shredded
1 cup raw, long cooking rice
2 cups water, boiling
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
salt and pepper
oregano, basil to taste
dash of hot sauce
garlic (I use lots)
1 med onion, chopped

Brown the ground beef and onion together. Drain the fat. Put cabbage and rice into a large casserole dish or crockpot pot. Add boiling water. Mix in the ground beef and onion and seasonings. Add tomatoes and paste. Mix well. Cook on low 5-8 hours.

http://www.plath.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nadege
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  3:35:50 PM  Show Profile Send Nadege a Private Message
Wow! These are great recipes and ideas. Years ago I ran an in-home daycare and used my crockpot alot. Lately, even though I'm busier and more tired, for some reason I just haven't used it. And to think I even got a newer, fancier one from my supermarket promotion.

I will try every recipe here. They bring back memories of not having to rush at dinner.

Thanks guys or probably in this case girls.

Nadege
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  3:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Wendy, I'm sending Trevor to Military School (that would be your house) - not one of those tricks (and I've done everyone you mentioned) works. He likes - not just doesn't mind, but actually actively seeks out - tinfoil, plastic and veggie/olive/cooking oils....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  9:16:33 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Another bean recipe:

Overnight soak:
1 lb. red beans (washed & drained)
2.5 cups of red wine
2.5 cups of water
2 tsp (approx) of Worcestershire sauce
Louisiana hot pepper sauce (to taste)

In the a.m. add:
2 slices of cooked bacon chopped (not needed for the veggie folks)
2 onions diced
(I often also add celery or carrots as the urge hits)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cook at least 6 hours on high (longer if you like with no damage-- I've left it 12 before).

Usually I serve it w/ brown rice and a green salad. Cheap, easy, and the red wine adds a nice flavor to the beans.

Myshelle10
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  04:52:32 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message
We do winter weekday breakfast by putting a mixture of grains in the crockpot the night before, adding water (amount changes by the particular mix of grains), leave it on low all night, have this incredibly healthy breakfast ready in the am.
Go to Top of Page

Hickey007
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  07:27:44 AM  Show Profile Send Hickey007 a Private Message
I have a great book on crockpot recipes. I have browsed through it several times and even have quite a few pages marked. Unfortunately I haven't made anything out of it yet.

The only two things I've ever cooked in mine are chili and vege soup. Here's how I make them.

My hubby loves the vege soup and its really easy. I grab a can of each corn, peas, kitchen sliced green beans and drain them all. Stick them in the pot with about 3/4 can of tomato juice. Then stick some carrots sliced and potatoes cubed in with it. We usually also stick browned ground beef in it but you don't have to. Then I will add more of the tomato juice if I have room if not when we're down and I'm putting away the leftovers I'll dump the rest of the can in with it. You can stick it on the high setting and it will be done in 4 hrs or the low and it can go 8-9 hrs, maybe even longer. Oh and I generally only season it with salt and pepper but you could put whatever in it you wanted.

My chili is simple as well. I just toss a can of tomato juice in with browned ground beef, and a large can(27 oz.) of chili beans in. Then I will season it with chili powder and I like cajun seasoning as well. I'm a picky eater so I don't like a lot of things in my chili so this is about the only kind I will eat. This one can go in the crock pot all day as well or it cooks up pretty quick on the stove. The only work involved is browning the meat other than that it probably only take 30-60 minutes just long enough to get the beans soft. My husband takes a shower when he gets home so I can start it when he gets home and its about done when he's ready.

Also for 2 people I would go ahead and get the larger crock pot(its just my hub. and me here). I have both a small and big one and I only use the big one. Really once you add all the stuff you usally need a big one or you're just using half cans of stuff. Also you can always freeze the soups and such and bring them back out a couple weeks later, that's what I do with the vege soup because I don't like it so its only my husband eating it.

I've also never had a problem with my cats messing with the crockpot. Don't they make large sheets of tape like for shipping or office supply or something. You could always try and keep that on the countertop for a couple days if they do. You may want to tape it down though otherwise you may come home to a mess(also you may want to try it on a weekend first). I used tape on the corners of my couches worked great, she no longer scratches them.

- Courtney
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  12:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
For those of us who love the crock pot and hate cleaning it: Did you know that they have disposable crock-pot liners? They come in a pack of 5 or 6 for less than $2. I found 'em at Walmart.

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?