Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 Noro Silk Garden?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

693 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  08:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
Has anyone felted Noro Silk Garden (45% silk, 45% kid mohair, 10% lamb's wool) without combining it with a 100% wool yarn? I know, I know...you're gonna tell me to swatch, but after I finish the scarf I'm working on I'll have just enough yarn left to squeak out a hat. I'd be fine with unfelted, but how many stitches I cast on when I set out is at the mercy of your wisdom.

Knit on -

Terri D. in NYC
off jumps jack

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  08:55:20 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I tried; it did not work. Pretty much anything over 10% silk just won't felt.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

693 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  10:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
Thanks, Mokey. My standard 96 stitches it is.

Knit on -

Terri D. in NYC
off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page

Flybane
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  11:50:06 PM  Show Profile Send Flybane a Private Message
I, too, could really use imput about felting Silk Garden.

I bought three precious balls of the stuff on sale, and am thinking that they would be lovely as mittens.

I felted a 4"x4" swatch and it came out 2.5"x3" when I was satisfied with the density. This was 16 stitches and (I think...) 16 rows, on 10.5 needles. So far it looks ok, and I'm not seeing issues with the silk. I did most of it in a washer with a central agitator, and when it slowed down, I put on some gloves and rubbed it around in my sink and it shrank some more right away. I suppose it does seem to be a somewhat finer, stiffer texture than my sample with double strands of Montera... BUT then again, I've never actually felted a project, so maybe that's different.

Here's how it looks:

[URL=http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=12323490bj.jpg][IMG]http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/8766/12323490bj.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Well? Is it ... bad? (what should I be looking for, anyway?)

I like how the texture smoothed out and the color changes blended - the colors look strange; it's sort of olive green/purple at this point.

Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

693 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  07:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
Hey Flybane.

I think your swatch looks fine--there really is no right or wrong look to felting...it's a matter of how the results look and feel to you. I ended up not risking it with the Silk Garden (made a non-felted hat instead), but have done a lot of felting with Kureyon and the blended random stripes make the coolest felt.

Good luck with your mittens; knit on--

Terri D. in NYC
off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by