Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Knitted Babes and More
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emmalou
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  08:56:38 AM  Show Profile Send emmalou a Private Message
I love the little knitted dolls I saw in Clara's review of the Kntted Babes book. And I agree with Clara wholeheartedly when she says she will end up making them for herself as well. I also wanted to mention a book that came out this summer by Lark publishing, by the fiber artist John Murphy called, Stupid Sock Creatures. This is another make your own toy book, that really leaves me LOL everytime I see the ad, and I mean rolling in the isles knid of LOL. I first encountered it in FIber Art magazine the Summer issue. This is a wacky how-to book featuring these outrageaous creatures made from old socks. I would hesitate to call these toys only, as they certainly fall into the catagories of comical fiber art, soft sculpture and an ingenious recycling of cast off socks. Even in the still pictures, these sci-fi characters quickly animate themselves in my mind and begin to speak and cavort. I can only imagine how a child would feel with one of these in their possession. Although the author is using what looks to be mainy commercially made socks, I immediately envsioned using the lonely handknit sock that was never married to a finished mate or some from the pile that needed darning. A hand knit sock would really catapult the creative potential of these fantastic creatures. It is currently listed at Amazon for something over $10. I definitely see the Cowgirl Babe reigning in a studpid sock creature on my holiday To-Make list.

...much as an indivdual knitter grows: innocent interest turns to hesitant beginnings which may blossom into deep and passionate fascination for all things knitted. Meg Swansen, A Gathering of Lace

irishmomof9
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  1:17:00 PM  Show Profile Send irishmomof9 a Private Message
These dolls are really cute! Wouldn't it be nice if each KR member knitted one as a Christmas present for one of the Gulf area children who were uprooted - and probably had to leave all their toys behind? It's hard to imagine the devastation here (I live in Mobile,AL, just an few miles away from MS). Maybe this is a way we could help!

...and may God hold you in the palm of His hand
Go to Top of Page

tincanknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  09:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit tincanknitter's Homepage Send tincanknitter a Private Message
Those dolls are too cute! I usually make up quirky dolls for my little neices so these will be on my list soon. Irishmom, your idea to make some up for Christmas gifts for the Gulf kids is great!

I also have to say the "Stupid Sock Creatures" book is great too. My son grabbed up this book as soon as he saw it on the store shelf. He flipped through it in the car and as soon as we got home he start collecting up what he'd need to make one. By the end of the night he had one done. Sad to say he's given them all away and all I have is a photo.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vyvneel%40sbcglobal.net/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

emmalou
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  10:52:18 AM  Show Profile Send emmalou a Private Message
Dear Tincanknitter,
You say you and your son made some of the Stupic Sock creatures? Or was it just him? How did it go, sounds like it worked out well. I thought it would be a really great idea for gifts for Christmas so I wanted to know how they made up. Of course I mean Christmas gifts for adults too because I think these creatures have a great sense of humor! Thank you for any info you can give me. lenora

...much as an indivdual knitter grows: innocent interest turns to hesitant beginnings which may blossom into deep and passionate fascination for all things knitted. Meg Swansen, A Gathering of Lace
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe