Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Seeking nearby spinners / guilds
 Seeking help with antique spinning wheel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asemumma
New Pal

32 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  10:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit asemumma's Homepage Send asemumma a Private Message
I'm just learning to spin with a drop spindle, but I am looking for someone who is experienced with antique spinning wheels to help me learn how to use a family heirloom. Also, someone who can help me set it up properly and check it to see if it has everything it needs.

The wheel I'm speaking of was my Great-great grandmother's, and although it has been lovingly displayed in the family home for years, I am not 100% sure it's operable.

I'm also looking for nearby spinners and who'd be willing to take a novice under their wings!

I'm in Western Michigan, and would love some leads!

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  10:28:36 AM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message
Hi!

Learning to spin? Good for you! It is an enjoyable pastime, although that would be by OUR standards... not necessarily by our great-grandma's.

What sort of wheel do you have? Is it a great (walking) wheel? or is it a sit-down type? Whichever it may be, I would STRONGLY suggest that you do NOT try to learn on an antique wheel. The speeds on most of them would probably make it an extremely uncomfortable experience for a learner. Please try to learn on a more modern wheel, most of which are a good bit slower for the learner of today. Once you have acclimated yourself to drawing out the fibers and treadling, then I would say go for it! I have several antique wheels, but learned on the venerable Ashford traditional.

I know a little bit about how to estimate the age of a wheel. Could you put up any photos? If so, please include a shot of the posts which hold the drive wheel; also, cluseups of the maidens and the bobbin/flyer assembly would be good. If you are unable to do this, I might suggest you check in with the lady who publishes the Spinning Wheel Sleuth. Try her at www.spwhsl.com. Describe your wheel as best you can, and she should be able to tell you who there would be in your area who could knowledgably look at your wheel.

Good luck.

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

asemumma
New Pal

32 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  08:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit asemumma's Homepage Send asemumma a Private Message
Thanks for your advice. As soon as I can, I'll get some pics of the wheel. (It's at my Mom's and she's on vacation!) I hope it turns out to be operable, even if I can't use it right away.
Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  08:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
I had the same thing happen when I inherited an antique wheel from my mom. After I put it together (and I had no photos to go by) I discovered that it was in fine spinning condition, so I used it to learn on. It only had one bobbin, though, and I'd thought of having some additional ones made, but to date have not done so. But it got me hooked on spinning and I've since bought 3 additional wheels plus an electric wheel which I love.

Congratulations on acquiring your wheel.

Barbara
http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  09:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
You may want to pack it up and send it to Dave Paul, owner of The Merlin Tree. The magic he works on those old wheels is a sight to behold. It'll cost, but you'll get the wheel back in it's most spinnable condition.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  5:38:03 PM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message
Does Dave go to the Michigan FiberFest? He might be able to take it back with him.

Bobbins are an easy thing to have duplicated, if it takes bobbins. If it is an old spindle wheel, getting a new (used) spindle should not be a problem, either.

It would be great if some of you could post pics of your old wheels. (Don't look at me! What's a camera?)

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

asemumma
New Pal

32 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  07:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit asemumma's Homepage Send asemumma a Private Message
Thanks all. I'll be getting some pictures soon and I have a couple of leads on experienced spinners and wheel-crafters. I really appreciate all of your advice/guidance!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe