Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Lopi Lite
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nwilson02
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  06:58:09 AM  Show Profile Send nwilson02 a Private Message
I can't say that I'll never use it again since I have some leftover that will eventually become something but of all the yarns I've used it is my least favorite.

I made the Perfect Companion felted bag from Knitters Stash using the Lopi Lite and it has more fur than my 3 dogs put together. It seems like the longer it was in the washing machine the more fur it got.

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  08:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
use a sweater shaver or a pair of scissors and give it a hair cut. I am sure that the mohair just got in the way, but I bet it is beautiful.

My mother made me a homosexual.
And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  09:14:52 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I'm surprised. I adore Lopi-Lite, Lopi, and Bulky Lopi and have nver had probelms with fuzz.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

JayhawkKnitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  10:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit JayhawkKnitter's Homepage Send JayhawkKnitter a Private Message
I've used the Lopi Lite for the Sophie bag and regular Lopi for a pair of felted slippers for my daughter. I specifically chose the yarn for its fuzziness after felting. It did shed fur quite a bit; I was thankful for the zippered pillowcase.

Check out my blog!

http://www.knittinhoney.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

knitabit33
Seriously Hooked

742 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  12:35:51 PM  Show Profile Send knitabit33 a Private Message
The Lopi brand has been around forever. I've used for several sweaters
and felted bags etc. Is a wonderful product for the price of 100 grms.
I recommend it over and over to friends and relatives who have just
started knitting. In fact I still have a Lopi poncho mom made me when
I was in college.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  09:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
I am using it to make the weekend satchel from IK and it hasn't been bad. Another lady in the knitalong class I am doing has felted hers and put it into two lingerie bags so her washer wouldn't get filled with fluff. She did have to shave it to get the flowers looking pretty.

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

Chequamegon
Chatty Knitter

231 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  11:03:23 AM  Show Profile Send Chequamegon a Private Message
I iron my felted projects to tame the fur.
Go to Top of Page

janev
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  11:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit janev's Homepage Send janev a Private Message
I bet if you shave your lopi bag you will love it! It takes time, but it's worth it.

Jane
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Carol in Maine
Chatty Knitter

208 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  12:09:17 PM  Show Profile Send Carol in Maine a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by purlewe

use a sweater shaver or a pair of scissors and give it a hair cut. I am sure that the mohair just got in the way, but I bet it is beautiful.

Hi, I love Lopi-Lite and have used it quite a lot for felting. I like the way the colors keep their definition in stripes, they don't smudge into each other but there is still just a little bit of flow from one to the next.
The Icelandic sheep has two different types of fiber (one long and strong, and one shorter and softer)in its wool but it's not mohair (unless I'm mixed up on this). I think mohair is from goats (when it's not synthetic).
In any case, the shearing suggestion is a good one.

Carol in Maine
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  7:05:54 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
quote:
The Lopi brand has been around forever.

Actually, lopi isn't a brand, it's an Icelandic word....so it's been around even longer than the Reynolds yarn. ;)

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  4:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
I've used Lopi Lite quite often and have never had it felt on me, except once deliberately. It did come up with quite a fluff then (very warm!!). But anything I hand wash is gorgeous and retains its original look. I love the range of colours that it is produced in. It is pure sheeps' wool, no mohair. And the yarn being described here is certainly a produced brand. The company is called ISTEX Icelandic Textiles Ltd. And it's been around for decades.

It works great for cabled sweaters and I had a To Die For Elsbeth Lavold coat that I made in the dusty rose.

All the best, Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

knitloveknit
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  5:15:50 PM  Show Profile Send knitloveknit a Private Message
i love lopi lite! great price and i'm not allergic to wool so it doesn't even scratch me. it keeps my feet super warm (i used it in the first pair of sock i ever made came out like house slippers SUPER WARM when i'm cold)

<3 u lopi lite
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?