Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 Blocking-do you or don't you?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bonnie jean
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  2:39:57 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie jean a Private Message
I would love to see a poll about if most people block their projects. I know some people don't but I do, and all the patterns I have followed, instruct the knitter to do it.

Bonnie in NJ

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  2:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Yes.

A few days ago I was complaining that a hat didn't look like a beret. Mr. Aerospace calmly said, "Amanda, when you designed the hat at my parents' house, you had to block it on a plate. This will work when you block it."

Of course he was right. Blocking doesn't cure all evils or mistakes, but it certainly makes knitting "pop" and come alive.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

knitswithcolors
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  3:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitswithcolors's Homepage Send knitswithcolors a Private Message
If I make a kid's sweater out of a non-wool like Encore, I don't block. I figure if something is machine washable and dryable, I don't block it.

Wool, I do block. I recently got a wooly board for my fair isles, and the first one I blocked got 1)big enough -- it was a little snug and
2) the pattern smoothed out and looks so nice and even now. The other sweaters I've made but steam blocked are going on the board as soon as I dig them out. It made such a difference in the overall appearance it was well worth the expense.
Go to Top of Page

BetsyK
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  11:12:22 AM  Show Profile Send BetsyK a Private Message
What is a woolly board?

I don't block but I do wash the item and lay it flat after I have shaped it. Is that the same as blocking?

Betsy in Colorado
Go to Top of Page

knitswithcolors
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  11:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitswithcolors's Homepage Send knitswithcolors a Private Message
A woolly board is a wooden rack used to stretch sweaters to size. I have a pic at my photo site.
Go to Top of Page

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  11:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
In general I block garments (like sweaters), lace, and fair isle. For those, I'll knit a swatch and block it so I can see how the yarn reacts.

For everything else, it depends. Socks, dishcloths, cellphone & ipod holders, and most hats and scarves don't get blocked.

--JK
http://knitflix.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  2:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
I guess I'm like most everyone else. Acrylic sweaters, wash & dry things, etc. don't get blocked. Wool, you bet, I wet block both the swatch and each piece before seaming. Just blocked some pieces last night and they look BEAUTIFUL!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

blueknitter999
Warming Up

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  3:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueknitter999's Homepage Send blueknitter999 a Private Message
Block Schmock. I don't even gauge. :)

Check out my blog: http://berrieh.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.