Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Oil for my spinning wheel?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Suziehomemaker
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  1:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suziehomemaker's Homepage Send Suziehomemaker a Private Message
I have a beautiful Ashford spinning wheel on long-term loan to me and I was wondering which kind of oil should I buy for all of the turning parts and if anyone could recommend places to get it?

I was told standard "3 in 1 oil" would be fine "similiar to what the air nail guns use" but I'm scared I'll buy the wrong kind. Is this something that a regular Michael's or JoAnn's would have or should I go to a specialy shop?

Thanks for any suggestions!

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  3:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
3 in 1 is probably too light. I can never remember what grade it is but I think it is a heavy motor oil you should use. Try doing a search here - there was a lot of discussion on here some time ago about this topic.

Happy spinning!

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  4:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I use sewing machine oil on mine - and have to oil frequently. I have an Ashford Elizabeth.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  6:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
If you want to buy oil in bulk and refill your oil bottle (which are pretty small as a rule), the weight often recommended is 30-weight motor oil. Generally the faster your ratios, the less a lightweight oil is recommended.

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  6:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I use sewing machine oil on my ashford.

celia

My blog is here:
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
I am destashing here:
http://celias-basket.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  6:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I've read a lot of posts on various spinning lists that sewing machine oil is too thin, which is why you're having to oil so often, Bess. And I hate the smell of motor oil. Ashford makes oil for its wheels which you can order online, if you're concerned about substituting oil.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  02:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Probably true about the sewing machine oil, but I'd rather oil frequently than risk gunking it up by putting something too heavy on my wheel. And I have a big bottle of sewing machine oil. Besides, BD is forever laughing at me and saying I should use graphite.

Since I have only the odd hour to spin at a time - haven't spun at all in ages due to ankle problems - I don't mind making it part of my start up routine.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  05:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
The problem with motor oil and many other types are that they will eventually harm wood and leather. My Country Craftsman is only wood and leather so I use an oil that is not harmful to either. It is also well know to not gunk up. It is a bit on the obscure side known mostly to muzzle loaders and other shooters of antique type fire arms. Link http://www.ballistol.com

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Suziehomemaker
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  07:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suziehomemaker's Homepage Send Suziehomemaker a Private Message
Thank you so much. I found the Ashford site and the one that I have is the Traditional, I'm not sure if it's a single drive or double (I can't tell what the difference is). The nearest dealer isn't actually that close to me. I'll try the sewing machine oil for now and try to special order the Ashford oil online.

Thanks again for responding so quickly. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as I try new fibers to spin! The wheel is on long term loan so besides taking care of it I'm going to learn as much as possible while I have it and make a Christmas list for everything I need after I have to return it(hopefully not until spring).
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  08:16:01 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
I use LPS-3, here are some specs:
"Lubricates and protects rubber, plastic, metal parts, window channels, metal slides and chutes in baggage cargo areas. Ideal for door and hatch seals. High-grade, dry film silicone lubricant. Contains no CFC or chlorinated solvents"

Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page

petiteflower
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  5:00:29 PM  Show Profile Send petiteflower a Private Message
Motor oil is toxic. Not extremely so in the tiny dabs we use on our wheels, but it smells obnoxious and I instinctively don't want it touching my skin. I'm amazed I used it for my Ashford as long as I did. We have some allergies and sensitivities in our household and are pretty fastidious about what we use around the place, yet here I was slathering MOTOR OIL onto my wheel right under my own nose.

I finally wised up and my husband suggested I try this Lube Gel stuff. It works terrific and doesn't harm a thing. I had just the Ashford when I switched over, and it works terrific for that. Then I got a Schacht and I use it for that too. Especially it doesn't make sense to me to put motor oil on those plastic bearings underneath the treadle. The Lube Gel makes way more sense. My next wheel is a reproduction of a Canadian colonial period wheel and the maker advised mineral oil because it isn't hard on the leathers or the wood. Well, this lubricates fine and is non-toxic also, but the Lube Gel is perfectly fine for this wheel too. I am getting a Norm Hall wheel in the near furture and the previous owner tells me that this wheelmaker recommends petroleum jelly (vaseline) as the lubricant for this wheel.

The Lube Gel stuff is : Radio Shack Multi-Purpose Lube Gel
It's $1.97 for 3 ounce tube that lasts forever and ever, amen.
Go to Radio Shack's web-site and search for "household lubricating gel". It's catalog #64-2326

On the tube it says that it is non-toxic, non-corrosive, stays where you put it, does not attract dust or other contaminants,impervious to salt and fresh water, won't wash off, disperse, break down or turn rancid. (Don't get the idea that it's permenently stuck on there though! You just wipe it off with a rag when you want to put on fresh) I always lubricate my wheel whenever I change a bobbin, and I always take a rag and wipe off the old lubricant first. This keeps everything clean of fibers.

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  6:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
That sounds like an interesting product. I've always used the "spinning oil" that I've bought either at Stony Mountain Farm (Hi, Barbara), at Springwater, or at the Mannings, where I bought Jezebel.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Go to Top of Page

RiverRock
Chatty Knitter

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  6:13:11 PM  Show Profile Send RiverRock a Private Message
I use Mineral oil it was recommended by a wheel maker. My grilfriend uses vaseline on her CC.
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  6:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Vaseline is recommended for Louets, per the manufacturer.

Lissa

Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  2:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
I've switched from sewing machine oil which I found too thin and rather pricey for the small bottles I was going through so quickly. I now use gun oil and it seems to work fine. Does anyone know of any reasons NOT to use gun oil? I wouldn't want to wreck my wheel!

-Marlene-
Come visit me at: http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/

"First is to shift the perception. If you learn to look at something differently, you will change it in an instant. The point of perception from which you view any situation determines your entire reality." - The Group
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe