Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Tell me that you hoard yarn too!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2002 :  4:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Chris, I'm new too, and have many questions about how much to buy. It depends on the gauge and yardage of each skein, but the more experienced knitters can help more (and there are lots of great helpful people here!!!)

There's a card that is supposed to be able to help - mine's in the mail to me right now, but you can talk to Sandy at http://www.knitconnection.com/ to get more info on it. She's here as "yarnpeddler" and she's a super help!

But yes - buy as much as you can, and you, too, can be an addict!!!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Anweknit
Warming Up

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2002 :  07:25:09 AM  Show Profile Send Anweknit a Private Message
Thank goodness,I read this, my husband thinks I am the only yarn hoarder, you other ladies have restored my sanity. We only have a little house and he keeps saying that we will have to move if I buy any more yarn.Do any of you other ladies have this uncanny knack of going to a strange town/city and quickly discovering where the yarn shops are? AND horror of horrors, being led astray? You see something new and wonderful in the shop and it has this label, visible only to you-"Touch me,Buy me,Take me home,I want to be yours" How can you resist such temptation?.............I can't! I just plan to live long enough to knit it!!!!!!!!

Anwen Haynes
Go to Top of Page

cjreber
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2002 :  1:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit cjreber's Homepage Send cjreber a Private Message
YEA!!! You all came through and helped me realize that putting away yarn is like money in the bank ....well, sorta....it DOES make me feel rich, and if i ever have an "off" day when i feel kind of blue, i can go look at all that lovely yarn and smile a lot. NEVER did i imagine that there would be so many responses to my query - thanks Clara for pointing the question out!
You all have a wonderful weekend - me? I'm about to start a new project with the yarn I just bought!
Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2002 :  3:04:17 PM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
I just love having all the yarn around so if I'm inspired to pour through my knitting books, I can just to go my stash and get what I need. (Not that I wouldn't mind a trip to the LYS or lately, surfing the net). My hubby says that I'm getting addicted to eBay. I keep finding such steals on quality yarn and I just can't pass it up!

I'm glad I'm not alone
Go to Top of Page

Denise
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2002 :  4:16:26 PM  Show Profile Send Denise a Private Message
Hoarding, you say? I just think of it as stress reduction. I was really doing pretty well using up the stash, but with so many online resources, it is just too hard to resist all those goodies. Just today some hot pink saucy sport arrived ( I love my mail lady!)that wants to be socks for a coworker. My family is accustomed to the occasional packages that arrive for me, and they just roll their eyes and say, "Oh no, Mom has more yarn!" They are very accepting of my little "problem". It's the safest addiction I know, and my compulsive knitting keeps me out of trouble!

Go to Top of Page

InToTwine
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2002 :  10:58:15 PM  Show Profile Send InToTwine a Private Message
Reading these posts has had me laughing for the last 15 minutes. My sister was just visiting me in Vermont from her home in California. We went shopping at "the" local yarn shop and spent several hours cleaning out the sale bin while we told stories about the acquisition of our yarn stashes. She travels all over the world and ALWAYS shops for more yarn. It is alot of fun, my husband says I have a "yarn collection". I get alot of yarn at yard sales that I use as my waste yarn, so I won't feel guilty about not making a project with it. I also have a ton of cookbooks, etc. If it encourages you to feel good about yourself and allows you to indulge in something you love, what is there to feel guilty about? Sometimes we have to remember that indulging ourselves is as important as indulging those we love. Everytime I say I am not buying anymore yarn for a while I find something that is such a terrific deal I can't pass it up, after all quality yarn is expensive, so I think it's best to save money while I can instead of paying twice as much at a later time. I will always come up with a project for it. Thanks for the chuckle, nice to know we are not alone in our passion for the finer things.

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2002 :  11:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I'm finally using some yarn that I've had for about a year! I didn't want to buy Rowan cotton for a kid's sweater and I remembered that I have a fair about of cotton in my yarn basket. So there are definitely positive aspects to hoarding yarn.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

jrs
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  08:32:33 AM  Show Profile Send jrs a Private Message
Ha! I too have a substantial yarn stash. Some of it is purchased and some of it was inherited and some gifted to me. And surprisingly, the more I knit, the larger it gets! A while back on a different knitting forum, someone described her stash as her retirement fund-- when she gets to the point when her budget won't allow the regular purchase of yarn, she will have her stash to fall back on.

Julie

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  4:33:10 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
If hoarding means storing away and not using it then I doubt that I hoard yarn. I am constantly going through it and pulling skeins out for a project that I never start and then have to start over again. My stash is in constant motion. As my kids say: "There goes Mom moving her yarn from one corner to another again."

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Cedar
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  5:17:33 PM  Show Profile Send Cedar a Private Message
I'm a yarn hoarder wanna-be.

I have three strikes against me in the hoarding department.
I'm a grad student (limited income)
I live in one room (limited storage space)
I've taught six people to knit in the last year (I give away bits of my stash to the greater cause )

But there is a big bag of needles and yarn under my bed all the same. And its a blessing. This Christmas I made hats for everyone at my job (a low-guilt way of procrastinating on paper writing) and all of it came from my stash. Once I thought about throwing out the small bits of yarn in my bag, and the scratching acrylics. But then someone in the dorm needed strings for helium balloons... and then I couldn't find any gift wrapping ribbon...and I'm always needing waste yarn for holders and thin yarn for sewing up.

All this means I'm overcoming my basic tendencies towards thrift in yarn purchase, and my compulsion to throw out anything I haven't used in a year. (Moving 12 times in 8 years will do that to a person) Someday I will have a yarn wall of my very own. I can't wait.

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  3:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Hi, Cedar! Another frequent mover! My yarn stash is very small - by my standards (rediculously large by my non-knitting friends' standards) because I've only got two drawers filled...

But I sure can't think of a better reason to whittle down that stash than to bring new members to the fold!

Welcome to the board!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

knitfanatic
Chatty Knitter

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  6:19:24 PM  Show Profile Send knitfanatic a Private Message
I'm glad I'm not the only person out there who has a large stash of yarn to keep them busy for a long time, but still can't resist the urge to go out and buy more. I'm postive my family thinks I'm nuts when they see me come home with more yarn, but it is totally addictive. I have actually gone to a large yarn warehouse sale and bought alot of yarn and left it at my neighbours for a couple of days. I am also love purchasing new knitting books and reading them and keep adding them to my collection.

Go to Top of Page

KanDeeLee
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  11:12:27 AM  Show Profile Send KanDeeLee a Private Message
Oh! Now I feel so much better knowing that my stash of yarn and fiber to spin is not as bizarre as I had feared. In the past, when a ting of conscious would hit, I often noted with some glee the “more than necessary” supply of wood, tools, nuts, bolts, screws, and unopened repair kits my hubby has in the garage. But now! Voices of those that matter most; other knitters, weavers, spinners, declare my behavior to be necessary to the creative process!! I heartily agree! Yarn and fiber hording is a form of “great expectations” a compelling tactile, pleasure that hurts nothing but our pocket book!

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  3:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Woah Bess. I'm finding myself staying in the city for several days each week taking care of elderly infirm parents and where do they live? 20 minutes from my favorite LYS. I've been shopping twice now (GROAN) buying sock yarn I promised I'd wait till hot weather to buy and buying a ball of luxury yarn to swatch with. Not that I don't have a delightful sweater to knit on while i'm in the city.

this is a serious addiction.

Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  11:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Hi, I'm posting for the first time after lurking a couple of months here.

How do you all organize your stashes? I started an Excel spreadsheet a couple of months ago, but it's not the perfect system, because I can't see the yarn. I have a lot of no-label yarn, I travel and buy it and used to live near a mill-end shop, so my description field is pretty subjective. So far my spreadsheet hasn't been of much help.

Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  11:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Hi, I'm posting for the first time after lurking a couple of months here.

How do you all organize your stashes? I started an Excel spreadsheet a couple of months ago, but it's not the perfect system, because I can't see the yarn. I have a lot of no-label yarn, I travel and buy it and used to live near a mill-end shop, so my description field is pretty subjective. So far my spreadsheet hasn't been of much help.

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  1:54:36 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hi Sheila! I'm glad you joined! Here is my tried and true method (well, at least it works for me!) I went to the local Wal-Mart and purchased heavy duty rubbermaid tubs. I sorted my yarn by content and put each collection in a different tub (these are HUGE tubs). I have two wool tubs, one with Annabell Fox yarn, so it gets it's own tub and the other has assorted wools. I took little plastic zipper pouches and put the different types of wool in each pouch and put these in the bucket so I can just grab the whole pouch (each pouch has a piece of paper taped to it listing the content, quantity and etc.) Then I took an inventory of each type of yarn, ie cotton and etc. and put these in a little mini mini notebook so I can carry it in my purse, BUT I also scanned a copy of each page and taped to the outside of each tub. Now if I pull 15 skeins of Brown Tahki Cotton Classic yarn, I just mark through that on my list. This is pretty rustic, but it works for me, especially if I'm at a store and see a pattern I like, I'll know at a glance if I REALLY need to purchase more yarn or use what I have.

Go to Top of Page

cjreber
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  10:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit cjreber's Homepage Send cjreber a Private Message
Hi everyone,
I just had to tell you of a NIFTY gadget I came across on the Home Shopping Network (yes (guiltily) I watch it on weekends sometimes!) I bought these AMAZING large plastic - type bags that you can put anything into called "Max Packs" (they were suggesting packing clothes in them for a suitcase) and then you squish all the air out and they take up a FRACTION of the space. Weeeeeeeeeellllll, my little brain went into overdrive and I bought some and started stashing my yarn hoard in them just to see if it would work - VOILA! The yarn stays great, protected from dust or whatever, the bags hold a LOT and (best part) they stand UPRIGHT in a closet so you can FILE them!! The top of my closet shelf is now clean (well, almost, I need more bags.....)but it is so organized and I can see ALL of my yarn by just sliding out the bag! Cool, huh?! And they are reuseable to boot! Thought you might like to know!
Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

lakotagal5
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  06:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit lakotagal5's Homepage Send lakotagal5 a Private Message
what a great idea cyndy,that sure is better than having to build a pole barn in the back yard lol.

jeri
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.