Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet for beginners - basic questions
 New person
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pythia crone
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  1:18:19 PM  Show Profile Send pythia crone a Private Message
Hello, I'm new; I'm 64. I never learned how to knit. I tried to learn how to crochet once many years ago, but I never was able to make myself keep doing it. I hope you don't mind me asking my questions about crocheting here because this is the forum where we introduce ourselves. I want to try to learn how to crochet again as a way to remain calm and relaxed. I'm homebound, so I have to buy the materials online.

I have 2 questions. First, what size crochet hook would you recommend I start using and what yarns would you recommend I start working with? I'm willing to buy a couple of different kinds.

My second question is, can you recommend some good online stores that I can buy the hooks and yarn from? I'm on a fixed income, so the cost has to be cheap. I'm not interested in getting into expensive materials. I just want to practice and learn.

I can't get to stores to pickup booklets to learn from, so I have to learn from online websites. I already know about Crochet Cabana and About.com; the instructions at both of these websites are good, simple and clear. Are there anymore? Thank you for your responses.

Pythia

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  1:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Hi Pythia, and welcome! We actually do have a section for beginning crocheters, so I'm nudging your introduction there. Hopefully some members can give you the help you need.

Take care,

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  2:22:46 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Welcome, Pythia. My suggestion is to find a free crochet pattern by google search. It will specify the yarn weight and the hook. Just try something you feel ready to do and add hooks and other yarns later. There are thousands upon thousands of free patterns!
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  12:04:02 PM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
I think it's easier to begin with at least worsted weight yarn, and you'll use a bigger needle. Check out the Lion Brand site, and http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php As Andy mentioned the pattern will tell you the yarn and the hook to use.

Walmart usually has the best price on crochet hooks, and good prices on acrylic and acrylic blend yarn if you can get someone to go there for you. I'm not sure about good resources to buy hooks online, but http://www.joann.com/ or http://www.herrschners.com/ might be a good start. Knitpicks always has good yarn prices.

As for learning resources, check the forums. I know there have been quite a few posts about Web sites and books.

Good luck and hope you get set up soon!

Sarah

If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

pythia crone
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  8:30:52 PM  Show Profile Send pythia crone a Private Message
Thank you for your responses. I have another question.

Is it necessary to have a yarn needle with big eye when one is learning? Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

loral56
Chatty Knitter

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  11:08:28 PM  Show Profile Send loral56 a Private Message
pythia crone, you could start out making potholders, dishcloths and towels by learning a few basic crochet stitches. There are many on-line stores, like www.joann.com, that you could purchase everything you needed from the yarn, like Sugar 'n Cream Cotton, to the 5" big eye weaving needle. I would suggest if you can afford it, to get that big eye needle...it is wonderful to help weave in those yarn ends on your projects. Also, if possible, you can get a set of crochet hooks for about $10 that have the most used hooks (E,F,G,H,I,J,K). Then you can do a google search for dishcloth crochet patterns, or crochet potholder patterns. You will find tons of them and this is a good way to learn new stitches. You might want to do the search first, then you will know what crochet hook and yarn you will need.

Happy crocheting...keep us posted on how you are progressing.

Lora
Go to Top of Page

SweaterGrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  09:45:26 AM  Show Profile Send SweaterGrrrl a Private Message
Another good way to save money is to get on Jo-ann's mailing list. They'll send you flyers of what's on sale, and included are coupons for 40% off the regular price of any one item. I think they send the flyers out twice a month, and they give you one coupon for in-store, and one coupon for on-line.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but the Craft Yarn Council has some great instructions for knitting and crochet, as well as some free and easy patterns:
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/

Lion Brand has a lot of free patterns on their site:
http://www.lionbrand.com/
Personally, I do not like their Homespun yarn--it is slippery and may be hard for a beginner. A better bet might be their Wool-Ease worsted weight (in a light color so you can see your stitches).

Good luck and let us know how you are progressing!

SweaterGrrrl
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  1:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message
If there is an ACMoore or Michael's store near you, they might be able to add you to their mailing lists. Also, they are available on line.

If someone can go to the store for you, Michael's wants to see the coupon if you go to the store, but ACMoore will give you one in the store if you ask at the checkout. Usually 40% off regular price of one item. I just bought sock yarn at ACMoore and saved about $2.50 off one skein.

I learned on a size I hook when I first crocheted. If you shop eBay, you can pick up hooks really cheap. I got about 20 pairs of knitting needles recently and it cost about $1 a pair when I broke it down. Also got about 8 crochet hooks that had been included. I just check the sales for my country to avoid overseas shipping which can add on a considerable amount.

Check online for free patterns first. If you don't find what you are looking for, you can join a book club. If you sign up for Crafter's Choice, you get 4 books free (just pay shipping)and buy 1 or 2 more at regular prices. It is a cheap way to get patterns and build a nice library. Plus they are shipped to your house. No going to the store to get them.

=^..^= Debbie [meow] http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hisue51
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  2:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Send hisue51 a Yahoo! Message Send hisue51 a Private Message
http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/crochet/index.html
I found the instructions at this site for different kinds of stitches and it was very helpful.
sh

Life is short, eat more chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

jpr54_
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  2:08:25 PM  Show Profile Send jpr54_ a Private Message

everyone has given good suggestions for the beginner

check out about.com crochet the site has videos
also www.crochetville.org

for practice i would use red heart or lion brand-light color so u can see stitches and a g or h hook

for a good first project u might want to try to make a potholder using cotton yarn

there are many good sites online including www.knitpicks.com
www.elann.com, and www.yarnware.com-
i have also ordered online on ebay from toadal yarn,and astrids dutch obsessions

joanne
Go to Top of Page

Idalmis
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  2:45:25 PM  Show Profile Send Idalmis a Private Message
Hi Pythia
I too am learning to crochet the best instruction I've found is a CD-Rom for the computer called CROCHET MADE EASY,by Coats&Clark. You can order it online from JOAnn.com it cost $7.99 plus shipping. It plays like a video on your computer. You can also find it on Ebay, just be careful because i've been told that the older ones with the blue cover will not work with windows xp. The pink cover ones are the new ones. Good Luck and I hope this helps you like it has helped me.

Idalmis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?