Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Lamb's Pride Bulky sheds?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jenknit
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  10:49:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit jenknit's Homepage Send jenknit a Private Message
Hi. The local yarn shop recommended Lamb's Pride Bulky for my very first knitting project - a sweater. I am about 65% finished and have just read a review of this yarn saying it is awful for sweaters because it sheds so much and pills. I have dogs, so I guess I don't mind the shedding too much, but I am curious what other people think of this yarn.

I'm going to finish the project anyway, but perhaps I should be thinking of using another wool in the future? Any recommendations are welcome. I have seen good comments about Manos del Uruguay and Wool of the Andes (knitpicks).

Thanks. Jennifer

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  11:10:01 AM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
I personally love Lamb's Pride bulky and your sweater will be beautiful. L.P. has a small amount of mohair in it so there will be some "hairiness" but I don't think it is at all excessive. I've never had pilling either.

Manos is great too. Different look and feel. Both felt wonderfully. Enjoy and don't worry.
Go to Top of Page

theraknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  7:40:12 PM  Show Profile Send theraknit a Private Message
I LOVE Lamb's Pride Bulky, too! I've only used it for felting projects, i.e. clogs and hats, but is easy to knit and felt.

Hope you have good luck with your sweater.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  11:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
Try Lamb's Pride Superwash bulky or worsted. Sheds a whole lost less and is machine washable. Very soft. Not advertising, but I get mine from www.alpacafleece.com. It's the cheapest I've found so far, only you might have to wait a little bit longer because they special order. However, they are really nice and that more than makes up for it. They have nice alpaca lace weight too.

Chia

http://munkiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SaraO
Chatty Knitter

123 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  3:00:19 PM  Show Profile Send SaraO a Private Message
Wow, your very first project is a sweater? I'm impressed!

Sara
Go to Top of Page

knittinginsf
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  4:46:04 PM  Show Profile Send knittinginsf a Private Message
Hi -- A way to decrease the shedding is run your finished sweater in your dryer on the air dry cycle (no heat!) for 20-30 minutes. It will remove a lot of the excess mohair! Hope that helps -- kudos for knitting a sweater for your first project!
Go to Top of Page

jenknit
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  1:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jenknit's Homepage Send jenknit a Private Message
Thanks for kudos for trying a sweater (and for not saying that I might be an idiot for starting big ). I bought the Yarn Girls Guide to simple knits, also recommended by the yarn shop. I already had some Lamb's Pride bulky, so I tried to find a pattern which used similar yarn but looked straightforward. I still knit kind of tightly, so I had to use one size larger needles, but it is turning out ok. I started a little web page for this project so I could share it with my sister.
http://gust.sr.unh.edu/~jenh/knit/knit.html
I had to put the project down for a bit, but just picked it up again and finished the front. Now I am working on a sleeve. Meanwhile, I finished the Cleo halter on Knitty and the Alpha hat from the Rowan Ribbon Twist collection. The Cleo sure taught me some neat things to do with yarn! I'll have to update my web page.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

jewishfarmer
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  3:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jewishfarmer's Homepage Send jewishfarmer a Private Message
I love the stuff, and no, it doesn't shed badly. A little bit, because of the mohair, but I've made my DH two sweaters in it, and they have held up beautifully.

Sharon

Jewishfarmer
"Rats and roaches live under the laws of supply and demand; it is the privelege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy" - Wendell Berry
www.casaubonsbook.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  06:16:10 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
Lamb's Pride is my favorite yarn. It's the only yarn that stands up to my husband, one of those people who's very hard on clothes and who will roll around on the floor with the dogs in anything he happens to be wearing. He's ruined tough-as-iron Scottish handspun wool (and I'll certainly never use merino for him again), but Lamb's Pride takes anything he can dish out. Shedding is noticeable only a first, and pilling is minimal for a woolen-spun yarn. And you can machine-wash (cold water, gentle cycle), as long as you lay the sweater flat to dry.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  1:29:21 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
So far it's the yarn that sheds the most for me. It's still a great yarn but be prepared to be covered in fuzz.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Kimberling
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  3:07:02 PM  Show Profile Send Kimberling a Private Message
Kudos to you for a sweater as your first project - I took a peek on your blog and it looks wonderful. I use lamb's pride alot and really like the yarn. enjoy

Kimberling
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?