Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 What Should I Make with It?
 500 to 800 Yards
 Fantasy Naturalle - just under 600 yds
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  07:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
Hi all,

Back this spring, I fell in love with some Fantasy Naturalle cotton (it's white with tangerine and yellow variegations) at the yarn shop. I bought it, originally thinking I might do a Clapotis with it (and willfully ignoring that there wasn't quite enough yarn there - I think they had four skeins at 120 yds each). So I have, I think, 580 yards of it, if the labels are to be trusted.

I don't want to play around with trying to find more of a matching dyelot.

I don't think I want to make a "smaller" version of Clapotis with it - what use is a smallish cotton scarf? It wouldn't be enough to keep my shoulders warm as a shawl, and at times when a scarf is actually needed, it wouldn't have the necessary warmth.

I'm too chunky to be able to use it for, say, a tank top or vest for myself. And I don't have kids, so I can't/don't want to use it for something for a child.

So I'm kind of out of ideas. It seems a shame to make just dishcloths out of it....

Karen in MN
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  10:44:08 AM  Show Profile Send Karen in MN a Private Message
I used my leftover Fantasy Naturelle to make knitted grocery / utility bags with handles (I bicycle a lot, and this allows me to easily get my purchases home). It was one of those patterns from Plymouth that are free with yarn purchase (might be able to find it on their website somewhere?), but it was basically a garter stitch square for the bottom, then picking up stitches around it, and it was something like a k2tog, YO repeat making it kind of open. I think you could probably use any stitch pattern though. I have made several now, and I use them all the time -- for shopping, for putting my wet clothes in when I leave the gym (so as not to get my gym bag wet and smelly), and sometimes to hang things in in the closet. Being cotton, I just toss it in the washing machine. You can make it as big or small as your stash will allow, I used two skeins to make a pretty large one.
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  1:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
Hey! That sounds like an idea...I could kind of base it off the Booga bag pattern (except knit it on smaller needles at a tighter gauge, and, of course, not felt it).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe