Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 Closed on Mondays?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  08:39:22 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Some LYS are run as a deductible knitting club which might explain those hours.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss_Lizzyisaknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  09:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Miss_Lizzyisaknitter's Homepage  Send Miss_Lizzyisaknitter a Yahoo! Message Send Miss_Lizzyisaknitter a Private Message
one of our lys is closed on mondays as well

Lizzy
~~Proud Knitter~~
mom to Jaemie & Christopher Jr
i'm a "chatty knitter" yay!
Go to Top of Page

maggy24
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  7:00:19 PM  Show Profile Send maggy24 a Private Message
KL - we're open Sundays as well and find it one of our very best days! Same as you: 12-4. But we're extra crazy....open 7 days a week! We originally closed on Tuesdays, and still had people come in later in the week all upset with us that we were closed. Or I'd be at the shop on a Tuesday to do paperwork and see frantic faces pressed into the front window...begging to be let in! So one of my VERY fine employees offered to work that day - and it's 7 days/week since!
Feel like the neighborhood pusher sometimes....making sure everyone gets their "yarn fix"!
Go to Top of Page

maggy24
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  7:04:57 PM  Show Profile Send maggy24 a Private Message
KL - we're open Sundays as well and find it one of our very best days! Same as you: 12-4. But we're extra crazy....open 7 days a week! We originally closed on Tuesdays, and still had people come in later in the week all upset with us that we were closed. Or I'd be at the shop on a Tuesday to do paperwork and see frantic faces pressed into the front window...begging to be let in! So one of my VERY fine employees offered to work that day - and it's 7 days/week since!
Feel like the neighborhood pusher sometimes....making sure everyone gets their "yarn fix"!
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  7:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
My favorite YS is closed on Mondays except during the "Holiday Season." They open for about 4 hours on Mondays for about 5 weeks, I believe.

Kimberly, knitting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  06:12:19 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
It`s not that long ago (25years???) that it was illegal for most shops to open Sundays here, and there are still restrictions on some sorts of trading, and the hours. And there was always some sort of half day closing, usually Tuesday, Wednesday or Thrursday, though this tended to be staggered round the neighbouring towns. Also shops shut at 5.30 pm sharp...I remember the excitement when the law relaxed a bit and shops could open in Edinburgh to 7.30pm on a Thursday night!!!!

I think small local shops that are owner run need their days off...otherwise the poor folks would burn out! Who among us would appreciate working a 7-day week apart from statutory holidays? Many small shops can`t afford extra staff to cover. And Sunday is still the normal day off here fopr small shops. (Some people still go to church too, and there used to be very strong feelings about this in our Presbyterian country.)

And if you`ve got Sunday off, it makes sense to take the Monday too if you only want to work a 5-day week. In France, even big shops shut Mondays!

I think it`s just what you get used to. 24/7 shopping? Our local Walmart/Asda tried that, and it was a waste of time for them except at weekends! Me buy yarn on a Sunday? Where? I live in a capital city, and I would only be able to buy it in two department stores in the whole city.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  5:59:31 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
It's not even 20 years ago here that shops closed at 12.00 on Saturdays and were not open on Sundays.
Now I find it a nuisance if the supermarket is not open until midnight 7 days a week!

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 2 WIPs, 26 FOs
Go to Top of Page

stubbornkelly
Chatty Knitter

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  10:56:12 PM  Show Profile Send stubbornkelly a Private Message
I hardly bother going to LYSs anymore, since their hours are so wonky. Rearrange my entire work schedule because they're only open past 5 on one particular day a week out of the six they're open? Nah - not really worth it, even to support local business. But since I'm not really their target customer (with the hours most of them are open, seemingly people who don't work), they're probably not missing out. I'm not going to reward them for being inconvenient, in any event.

My current employer once thought to close on Mondays, until she discovered how much it affected her bottom line AND how many regular customers got peeved. Business actually slumped for a while, beyond the point of just what we didn't make in sales for that one day. Now we're back to being open 7 days a week - 10 hours a day Monday through Saturday, 6 hours on Sundays.
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  07:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
I'd rather a shop be closed Monday than Sunday. I understand everyone needs time off, but why take it when the vast majority of your customers have the day off? Just my two cents.
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  11:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
We're open 7 days a week,and until 7pm on weekdays. Our town has very few stores that are open on Sunday and until 2 weeks ago (we've only been open since Halloween), were pretty empty on Sundays, barely making payroll. We've been wondering whether we had made a good decision to be open 7 days. Yesterday, however, made it all worthwhile - we were packed from open to close, had 3 classes and a clinic going. There were 10 people knitting on the sofa and it was our biggest day ever. We're hoping its not just a holiday thing, but that it took a while for people to figure out we were open.

I've hired staff to make sure we can support the open times. The only difficulty we have is that there is no "down" time to restock, rearrange, do maintenance, etc. without working excessive hours. We're still trying to figure out that challenge.

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  12:59:20 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Stubbornkelly- Wonky store hours? Rearrange your schedule to fit LYO store hours? That is exactly what owners have to do if they want to get some shopping/errands done for themselves.
We are supposed to not only accomodate everyones personal schedule, but give up our time also? I don't think so! If a store is not open for my convenience,
I change MY scedule so as to shop when they are open. And that includes shopping after working all day in my store. I am already open on weekends and 2 nights a week to service my customers. Rearrange your schedule if I am not accomodating you quite enough. If I need to shop at a store that is not open on Mondays, I'll shop there after work or on my "other" day off. KL
Go to Top of Page

stubbornkelly
Chatty Knitter

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  4:35:27 PM  Show Profile Send stubbornkelly a Private Message
Yes, but the key word there is owner - you want to make the big bucks and be independent of an employer (besides customers), you work hard and honestly, you kind of asked for inconvenience. But come on - most yarn shops I've been to have ... oh, what are they called? That's right - employees. But anyway, the owners of the LYS' I'm talking about, the ones with wonky hours, they don't have to do any rearranging - they're closed much of the time other stores are open as it is.

Anyway, they want my business, they can make themselves reasonably convenient. You seem to think I'm asking for a lot - I'm asking for regular, reasonable business hours. It's a store, after all. You can't go into retail with the expectation that you'll work a nine to five - or eleven to three - schedule.

I'm the customer - I shouldn't have to rearrange my schedule the way I would have to in order to go to most of the LYS I'm familiar with. While the customer is most certainly not always right, if you want to succeed for any enduring length of time, you do have to cater to them at least somewhat. I don't ask my customers to rearrange their lives so they can have the privilege of coming into my store - that would be ridiculous, given the business I've CHOSEN to go into. But that's what I feel happens with the LYS - it should be my privilege to take off from work to go spend my money at their store, when it's not that way at all.

Anyway, it's my choice that I don't really go to LYS. I decided it's just not worth it. Like I said, I'm not going to reward them for "making" (so to speak - if I were to shop there, I mean) me accommodate them and their unrealistic hours. No big deal.
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  07:43:24 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Stubbornkelly- I can assure you that I work the same hours as does my partner and the same hours as our 1 extra employee. We open when the mall does, but we are open only 2 nights as the mall is every night. Big Deal. We are also open on Sundays for the convenience of our working customers.
There is a reason for the terminology "Small Business" in retail. It is exactly that. In the professional retail community we are not expected to have mall hours as we don't have nor can a small business owner afford to staff as such.
As to your "big bucks" comment, I think you would be a little surprised. I'm happy for you, that whatever business you are in that you are making "the big bucks"- It is not quite like that in a LYS; and it really has very little to do with store hours.
We have had no complaints from our customers-exactly the opposite, They are thrilled at the 2 nights and Sundays and many come during those hours just to sit and knit after work.
Lastly, I still think it a bit presumptious that you would think I need to be open to fit your personal schedule when others don't seem to have a problem with our hours. I guess you must get pretty pissed at other small business that you may have a need for-shoe repair,drycleaners,small book stores,clothing boutiques-any small individually-owned retail establishment.
With your committment to on-line, I really don't see why you are so upset. In time, on-line shopping may be the only way you will be able to shop.
The small retailer has bigger problems with on-line and it certainly is not the hours. KL
Go to Top of Page

godlikeingoal
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  4:27:01 PM  Show Profile Send godlikeingoal a Private Message
I own a shop and am determined to stay open 7 days a week with two late weekday evenings. Luckily I have a business partner and two part-time employees, but either my partner or I is in the store every day. We've created a 3 day on, alternating Saturdays schedule which has worked so far.

The main reason for doing so, from my point of view, was that when I was working in the corporate world, I could not support any LYS--the hours they kept did not permit me. I was relegated to shopping online or actually taking time from work. Therefore when we put our shop's hours together, both my partner and I were committed to having hours that would bring in knitters from all walks of life. And it's paid off. We've only been open since 10/1, but Sunday and Monday are usually great days for us--granted, like Hojo said, it took about 2 weeks for people to realize we were open, but once they did, boy did they come (just like in Field of Dreams).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?