Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 GRRR!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  09:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
So I brought my knitting to work today. I had some ends to weave in on a round face cloth. I'm making a bunch of them for my friend's wedding present (going to put them in a basket with soap and other smelly things to decorate her bathroom).

This annoying co-worker who sits next to me turned around and stuck his head in my cubicle to ask me a question. He sees me holding the face cloth (picture a red cotton doily) and stops mid-sentence and starts laughing. Then he points at my knitting and asks if it's for my daughter.

I didn't even want to answer because I could feel the anger welling up. I just said, "No, it's for a friend." Then he laughed again and turned back into his cube.

I know I shouldn't let comments like that get to me, but I was so red faced and teary eyed, I'm embarrassed now. I get so protective of my knitting. I mean, we knitters put so much time and love into our craft, and when someone is so rude about it, it hurts.

Sorry for venting, but I figured you all would be the most understanding.

Anna

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  09:14:28 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
Wow, that's just astoundingly rude! I can't believe a civilized person would act that way--but they do all the time. I'm so sorry you had such an obnoxious, invasive experience, but it's he who should be red-faced, not you.

"The past does not equal the future"

The other Fran in Kansas City
Go to Top of Page

tincanknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  09:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit tincanknitter's Homepage Send tincanknitter a Private Message
Don't let it bother you. Guys can be such insensitive jerks! I remember a time when I was knitting a vest for myself at the office. One guy walked by & assumed I was knitting baby booties and that I was pregnant. He thought he had just discovered a secret that he could start a rumor with (I wasn't married at that time). Keep on knitting at work is my vote! There will be others who will be in awe!

Vyv

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vyvneel%40sbcglobal.net/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  09:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
Red doily? I would say that you were making a target to attach to the back of his trousers because he deserves a good kick up the rear!

Jane

'What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?' Elvis Costello
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  10:03:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I had an experience similar to tincanknitter's - one of the guys I work with saw me knitting and assumed I was pregnant and making booties. (If I was, why on earth would I have gotten such a physically demanding job???? I've always wondered that...) Even after I calmly (and laughingly, the first time) corrected him, he thought it was a brilliant joke and would come up to me every night asking if I was making booties and when the baby was due. I finally had to tell him, "Look, that's REALLY irritating to me. I've TOLD you what I'm making, I'm NOT pregnant, and I'm going to continue to work on it, here at work, until it's done!" He avoided me for the next couple nights, but he was one of the first to compliment me when the afghan was done!

FO: scalloped baby blanket, "Cleo" halter top, Winter Night Afghan #1(Blue/Cream), Booga Bag, Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf
WIPs: Knitted Stripes Afghan, Winter Night Afghan #2 (Emerald/Tan), Rainy Day Scarf, Easy Mittens
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  10:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
I think if I would have had knitting needles around you would never have to deal with your co-worker again

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  11:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
He was probably trying to be cute, and had no idea that he hurt your feelings. Men often don't 'get' those things.

I just want you to know that if I were the friend that gift was destined for, I'd be THRILLED with it! I'd probably take everyone who came to my house into the bathroom and say, "see the gorgeous lacy face-cloth? Anna MADE that for me! Yes, she did! I know - It's beautiful, isn't it? AND she made this one and that one and these, too! I love her so much!"

That's what I'd say, and I bet that's what your lucky and blessed friend will say, too.

So phooey on the insensitive co-worker.

-Wendy
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  11:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
Wow...

like my buddy from grad school says, "It doesn't take all kinds - there just ARE all kinds." I can't imagine laughing at someone who was making something...I'd just step back and go "wow."

or if it was someone knitting, I'd probably ask them what the pattern was, what type of yarn they were using, what needles they used with it, if it was fun to knit.....

If someone laughed at me when I was knitting, I'd probably look up and them, cock my head on the side, and say something like "Are you happy or is that just a gas bubble?" Or I'd just say "What is WITH you?"
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  1:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Your office mate sounds like a prize jerk, Anna.

I've told this story before, but a while ago I taught a friend to knit. She and I were at her place for one of the lessons, and her husband passed through the room, shook his head, and said with a chuckle "I just can't believe that YOU TWO are knitting!" Clearly the implication was that his high-powered politico wife and her friend the museum administrator had suddenly turned into knittin' grannies before his eyes. My friend said sweetly, "Luann, show him what your are making," and I held up my needles holding the silk lace camisole, almost finished, for the full Victoria's Secret effect. His mouth dropped open, snapped shut, and we've never heard a peep from him since.

Luann, who's looking forward to the day she becomes a knitting granny...

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

Kalikat
Chatty Knitter

137 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  1:36:53 PM  Show Profile Send Kalikat a Private Message
Anna, tell us where you work and we will come in and poke this guy with are sharp pointy needles. Then maybe he will learn not to laugh at a woman with a weapon. :)
Kat

http://photobucket.com/albums/b209/katknit/
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  2:44:17 PM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
Sounds like your coworker is an A$$.

Don't let him bother you.

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  2:47:31 PM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
The next time he stands up, just stare at his crotch and laugh.

Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  3:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
flutebabe, that was a great response!
I wasn't going to post a reply, because all I would have said has already been said by others, but I had to say that I really like that last one.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

If you don't know what you are missing, are you really missing it?
Go to Top of Page

Roxanne
Seriously Hooked

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  4:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Roxanne's Homepage Send Roxanne a Private Message
He sounds a bit insecure to me...bet he isn't talented at anything for him to make "fun" of you and your hobby...and to make himself feel better, he decided it be best to laugh at you when in reality he's really just making himself look stupid and immature. Sorry for the bad experience but I know whoever is receiving your gift will be truly appreciative. What a jerk!

"Success is a Journey; not a Destination"
My Blog: http://knitnpurlzen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shazdownunder
Chatty Knitter

Australia
262 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  11:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit shazdownunder's Homepage Send shazdownunder a Private Message
He sounds like a real pleb and wouldn't know what being creative was even if it came and bit him on the #%^& Don't let one jerk put you off knitting at work, I thought Wendys reply was right on the money.
Sharon
http://shazknit.blogspot.com

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

periwinkle
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  2:18:46 PM  Show Profile Send periwinkle a Private Message
I'm LMAO! I'll have to remember that one, Fillyjonk -
quote:
"Are you happy or is that just a gas bubble?"

I work with 95% females (I'm a teacher, what do you expect), and nearly everyone who sees me knitting (while on morning duty in the halls) has a positive comment or asks about the knitting. One of the other teachers at my school knits also. The kids, especially, ask about it and think it's really cool. Some are mesmerized by it, actually.
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  4:10:05 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
periwinkle - you are so lucky. If I tried knitting while on hall duty I would be told it was totally inappropriate. Was called on the carpet when I knit during downtime at a local inservice. Maybe that's one of the reasons I'm looking at early retirement this year.
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  11:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
You guys all made me chuckle. I knew I could count on you. I'm totally over it now, but it really angered me at the time.

My best friend/co-worker loves the comments as well!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

kimmiebear
Gabber Extraordinaire

359 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  1:01:36 PM  Show Profile Send kimmiebear a Private Message
It seems to me that only the most uneducated and unsophisticated people make the most rude and ignorant comments.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  1:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
... I was thinking it was usually the folks who thought they were the most sophisticated who turned out to be the least so...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

BetsyK
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  3:57:02 PM  Show Profile Send BetsyK a Private Message
I'm an attorney and have to get Continuing Legal Education credits every year to stay admitted to the Bar. I bring my knitting to these and to settlement conferences where there is "downtime". No one has made any derogatory or insulting comments (yet). Most people ask me what I am making and that's the end of it.

I remember years ago when I had a trial when I practiced back east. The judge (male) was knitting a scarf while the trial was going on. I thought it was great. He was paying attention and alert so he could rule on objections. He did much better than another judge I had who fell asleep during trial. He should have been knitting something!!

Betsy in Colorado
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.