Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Fiber Swap
 Handspun Yarn Swap
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  1:33:24 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Please pm us when ready with the link to this thread, ok? Thank you very much for doing this for all of us.

Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  3:00:44 PM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
i wanna join too :)

Pugknits Blog
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  6:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Hi,

I have a question: Do we need to dye only with food coloring based dyes? I actually have commerical dyes and would prefer to use them as I have more colors to choose from and can come up with better stuff . . .

I realize the intent was probably to keep it to stuff others could recreate . . . but would anyone mind if I use the other dyes?

thanks,

Martheme

visit my sites:
http://www.inspirationsyarn.com & http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

spinningbunny
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  6:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit spinningbunny's Homepage Send spinningbunny a Private Message
This sounds like fun. If we could spin a bit more than a few yards for each person then there is the possiblity of making something with the samples--- a hackeysack or a small basket

count me in too!

Namaste,
<http://www.spinningbunny.com>
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  8:23:29 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Martheme,

You are right, I suggested the kool-aid/food coloring/icing dye to keep it simple and safe for everyone. I don't have any objection to your using the dyes you have on hand and, and if you give us information on the process, it will be something we can use as a comparison to the yarn dyed with the kitchen-safe products. If anyone else wants to use the commercial dyes, feel free. This is supposed to be fun, as well as educational.

Spinningbunny, thanks for joining up. As far as the amount of yardage, the original intent was for a small sample to see the differences between what each spinner produced, rather than enough yarn to knit something. We have a small group, so if everyone wants to create about 5 yards for every other spinner, we'd need to spin about 50 yards, for ten spinners. You'll get back about 50 yards, maybe not enough for a whole item, but possibly these could be incorporated into another project for anyone who wanted to knit the yarn.

So to repeat the criteria:

- Fiber: Wool. Does not have to be white wool to start with.
- Color: Autumn colors
- Dye: Kool-aid, food coloring, icing dye. Commercial dyes ok
- Process: Spinner's choice. Dye the wool, then spin. Or spin the yarn, then dye. Single, 2-ply, 3-ply, navajo ply, etc.
- Yardage: about 5 yards for each spinner
- Information: Provide as much as possible. Things such as breed of wool, if known. How the wool was prepared - purchased roving, or carded/combed by spinner. How the dye was prepared and applied. The more information, the better, including why you chose your technique and whether you are happy with it.
- Package: Yarn sample and information sheet in a plastic baggie
- Delivery: To be mailed, address provided in the beginning of October. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
- Due: If I get packages by October 10, everyone should receive the swap back by the 15th or so.

Did I forget anything? Any questions/suggestions?

We have ten spinners:
carvegirl
lanthir
martheme
noelle
yarnlover
andy
suziehomemaker
sheepish
pugsweater
spinningbunny

Andy, I'm not sure which link you are requesting. Am I overlooking something? If so, let me know.

I hope this is sufficient information and we all enjoy this. I am looking forward to seeing what we all come up with.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

sheepish
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  02:22:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit sheepish's Homepage Send sheepish a Private Message
Yarnlover, just to clarify...you want us to send 10 samples, correct? (From personal experience, it's easier to package up for return shipping when you don't need to remember who's yarn doesn't need to be in the box.)

I'm excited! I've never done a yarn swap and look forward to seeing y'all's goods!

I milk sheep, do ewe?

Buy the new EWE WISH calendar! http://buckinglambpalace.bravehost.com/ewewish.html
Sheep Milk Soaps at http://kesoaps.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  6:24:11 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I had to think about that for a minute - we have ten spinners but each of us will be getting samples from nine other spinners. As I thought about it, yes send 10 samples to make the distribution easier. Otherwise I will have ten different packages because each person won't be getting back their own sample and I'll have to keep track of who gets what. If everyone sends all ten, I can make ten identical packages to send back. That will be the easiest, quickest way to sort things. And no mistakes.

Another things I thought of, it would be a good idea to put your KR id on each bag or the information sheet, either in addition to your real name or instead of your real name, as each person prefers. Same goes for your address label. That can be each person's decision to use either name for ID. But if our KR names are on each sample bag we'll know who spun the sample by the names we use here. Make sense?

Go to Top of Page

Manicgirl
Chatty Knitter

Sweden
203 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  12:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manicgirl's Homepage Send Manicgirl a Private Message
Now that I've checked with Yarnlover, I'm happy to say that I'll join in this handspun yarnswap. I think it sounds great, and am really looking forward to seeing all the possibilities this little excersise can give.

Tina
(My blog: http://ulltopia.typepad.com/wooltopia)
Go to Top of Page

insubordiknit
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  05:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit insubordiknit's Homepage Send insubordiknit a Private Message
i just wanted to say that I changed my name but I'm still in, i was carvegirl.

can't wait to do this. i'm gonna start soon!

http://www.insubordiknit.com
Go to Top of Page

sheepish
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  07:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit sheepish's Homepage Send sheepish a Private Message
So with Tina, do we now have 11?

I milk sheep, do ewe?

Buy the new EWE WISH calendar! http://buckinglambpalace.bravehost.com/ewewish.html
Sheep Milk Soaps at http://kesoaps.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  07:51:10 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Yes, to the question - do we now have 11. Tina PMed to see if she could join. She will be the international wing of the swap. I thought it would be ok to either spin a few more yards of yarn or reduce the lenght of samples a bit to go from 10 to 11.

But we'll now consider this swap closed so no more changes to the amount of yarn to be spun.

Welcome Tina and insubordiknit I have noted your name change.

Happy dyeing and spinning to all.

Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  11:13:04 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Yarnlover, we do not have an address to send our 11-samples-in-one-package (just to clarify and repeat!). Previously I was referring to private messaging as PMing us, but if you think all the group is following the thread as it goes on then maybe this will be sufficient. But we need the address of our coordinator. Thank you.

Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  2:03:26 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Hi Andy,

I plan to PM everyone in the swap early in October with shipping details. I don't know if all our spinners are following the thread but I can PM all to be sure they are updated.

Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  09:26:37 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Ok, thank you Yarnlover.

Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page

spinningbunny
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  2:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit spinningbunny's Homepage Send spinningbunny a Private Message
I am currently spinning the swap wool. FUN! I dyed it with Gaywool on the stove and heat set it. I'm looking forward to getting the different samples in October as I have not done a spun yarn swap before.
Perhaps I missed a post but do you want us to include a SASE when we send the samples to you?

Namaste,
<http://www.spinningbunny.com>
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  12:45:56 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Yes, everyone should include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. (Except Tina, from Sweden, as we discussed in our PM)

If you want to include a priority mail label and stamp, I think 1 lb would be sufficient, but weigh your samples to be sure. I can get the priority envelopes from my post office to mail samples back. I don't mind doing that.

If you weigh your samples, and the weight is under 10 oz, including the envelope, label, information sheets, plastic bags, etc. then that could be a guide to the amount for return postage. I haven't finished my samples, but once I do, I'll weigh them with the complete package and have a better idea of the postage.

Go to Top of Page

SpottedTApps
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  4:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit SpottedTApps's Homepage Send SpottedTApps a Private Message
Just found this forum, and this post, and I'd love to do it! I can easily have enough done in time if you guys will allow me in. Pretty please?
Go to Top of Page

taradactil
Warming Up

56 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  05:19:45 AM  Show Profile Send taradactil a Private Message
Hi,

Would it be possible to have the "Great Yarn Swap Round 2"? I've only been spinning for a little while and would like to participate in a later round. I've got the idea of the drop spindle, and just ordered a wheel, but I'd like to learn the wheel before I branch off into dyeing madness!! The swap does sound like sooo much fun!

Thanks,
Taradactil
Go to Top of Page

taradactil
Warming Up

56 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  11:22:46 AM  Show Profile Send taradactil a Private Message
Hi,

Would it be possible to have the "Great Yarn Swap Round 2"? I've only been spinning for a little while and would like to participate in a later round. I've got the idea of the drop spindle, and just ordered a wheel, but I'd like to learn the wheel before I branch off into dyeing madness!! The swap does sound like sooo much fun!

Thanks,
Taradactil
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  11:49:40 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
OK, here is what I am doing:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/GAndy42/6beb91dd.jpg
I am hurrying because it is the third week of my Christmas gift making time and need to mail these off right away! I know, I know. I put in the staple I spun from, a card with details, and made my skein the following way, since it is so small being only a few inches over the 5 yards:
first I held the end of the yarn in my pinched first finger and thumb, wrapped it around my little finger (as far away as they will spread), and back around my thumb and so forth. It makes a little fence of X's in the center of the distance between fingers. After it is all in the figure eight shape (with the X in the middle), I tied a bit of contrasting wool through each stack of loops at the two ends. Then I twisted it as a usual skein, inserting the end into the other looped end.
I hope this will help, since I pondered a bit how to make this work for myself, maybe it will speed up the process for others.
For my info card I just typed the things out that were requested, copied it and pasted it a total of twelve times on one sheet, printed on heavy paper (index stock) and cut it out into cards.
The rest you can see in the picture. Looking forward to the exchange everyone! Now all I need is the address, the envelope and return envelope ready and put it all in the mail.

Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.