Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Fiber Swap
 Handspun Yarn Swap
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  07:54:33 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Reading the topic on the fiber swap reminded me that I participated in a spinning forum about 10 or so years ago. We held several swaps of our handspun yarn and it was a fun thing to do. So interesting to see the differences in yarn when spinners are working from the same basic swap guidelines.

The way it worked was each participant spun about 4-5 yards for each member of the group. You included information about the fiber, source, how you prepared, spun, dyed, plied, etc. Whatever was appropriate for your process. Then package each sample, with information card, and a pinch of fiber if you wanted, in a plastic baggie. The whole package was mailed to one destination (with a self-addressed, stamped envelope) and then sorted and everyone got their package of samples back in the mail. At that time, there wasn't an easy way to get photos posted, but now that would be easy enough to do.

Would anyone be interested in a swap like this?

I'd volunteer to be the first swap master (not to be confused with swamp monster[:00]). Possibly limit the number of spinners so we don't have to spin huge amounts of yarn. Swap master gets to pick the criteria. Some of the swaps were of certain breed of wool, some with pet hair, etc. Timing can be set to an agreeable amount of time - say everything is due in xx weeks or months.

What do you think of this idea? I know Spin-Off collects sample skeins based on particular guidelines and it's nice to look at the pictures, but much nicer to actually look at and handle the samples.

See My Stuff: Here

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  1:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
Actually I would be more interested in a swap with a useable amount of yarn like 25g or 50g. Also it may be easier if the members are assigned a recipient and just posts directly. What would you do with 4 or 5 yards f yarn? Just wondering

celia

My blog is here:
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
I am destashing here:
http://celias-basket.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  2:50:43 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
The idea was that we would all spin using the same criteria and then share our samples. You didn't really have to do anything with it - it was just a study of spinning samples and a way to see the yarn of other spinners. The reason for sending everything to one swap master was to make distribution easier. It was a treat to get the package and see a bit of everyone's yarn.

Go to Top of Page

Lanthir
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  08:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanthir's Homepage Send Lanthir a Private Message
That sounds like a really neat idea!

"And we shall call it 'This Land'"
Firefly
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  10:18:17 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I'm glad to hear someone thinks so.

I'm a little surprised that no one seemed interested in this. When I was a new spinner my husband found something on the internet, (it was very new back then, and I really didn't know what it was). Anyway, that's where I joined a spinning group and participated in a few swaps.

I learned so much from the swaps because all samples were different and came with information on how the yarn was created. As much as you can learn from reading and videos, having the samples in hand to look at and examine is a great learning tool.

What if the first swap were something like this:

Fiber - wool
Color - hand dye it with kool-aid, food coloring, icing dye to keep it easy and use dyes that everyone can easily obtain.
Dye it autumn colors - think of maple trees and pumpkins.
Have a small sample for every participant - let's say about 2 yards or so.

Everything else is up to the spinner. Dye the wool, then spin, or spin then dye the yarn. 1-ply, 2-ply, navajo ply, whatever you want to do. Just jot down what you did so everyone can learn from you.

Any takers?

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  10:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
An explanation from the "no thanks" camp: sounds like work. I have enough work.

Not dissing the idea, just one person's answer to "why didn't I get more takers?".

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

carvegirl
New Pal

35 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  4:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Send carvegirl a Yahoo! Message Send carvegirl a Private Message
I'm in!

jacey

http://www.insubordiknit.com
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  05:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
This sounds like an interesting idea, and could be especially helpful for newer spinners. How many folks would be the minimum number for it to work?

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

Lanthir
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  05:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanthir's Homepage Send Lanthir a Private Message
Yeah, that sounds great! And it gives me something to do with some of the new fiber I just bought. (^_^)V

Firefly
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  06:57:35 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I think it would work with as few as 7 or 8 people and as many as 20 or so. It seems to me that the swaps I joined had about 15-20 spinners. With 20 or so, the cost is reasonable. You can send samples for minimum priority mail and get samples returned for the same. It's easy to get priority envelopes at the post office, so shipping is easy and reasonable.

It is a great learning tool for new spinners, as I learned a lot when I did this, but also for experienced spinners. Some of the swaps were using a specific breed of wool or type of fiber, and that gave everyone a chance to spin a sample and see other's samples and be introduced to fibers not tried before.

And I was thinking maybe the exchange would be somewhere around mid-October to give plenty of time to complete. Or is that too soon - too late?

We have 3 spinners so far.

Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  08:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Hi,

I'd love to participate! I haven't had time to spin for months now (new baby) but this is something I could probably manage even on a spindle while he's napping!

Please count me in!

Martheme

visit my sites:
http://www.inspirationsyarn.com & http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lanthir
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  11:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanthir's Homepage Send Lanthir a Private Message
Yeah, mid October sounds great!

Firefly
Go to Top of Page

Noelle
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  07:38:52 AM  Show Profile Send Noelle a Private Message
I'd like to participate in this as well. It'll give me an impetus to get back to my wheel, which has been sadly neglected this summer. What's the next step?

Graduate Student or Evil Genius.... You be the judge.
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  08:33:14 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
So far, we have five spinners interested in doing a swap. It would be nice to have a few more participants, but if not, as long as everyone agrees to a small group, we can go ahead.

So far:
carvegirl
lanthir
martheme
noelle
yarnlover

How about waiting til the day after Labor Day to see if we have more interest. Have the samples due by October 14.

The number of spinners will determine how much yarn you'll need to spin, but personally, I will probably spin at least a few ounces, so will have enough to share. In early October, I'll pm my mailing address to everyone. When I get the packages, I'll sort the samples for everyone and get the envelopes right back in the mail as soon all samples are in.

So we will spin wool (doesn't have to be white)
We will dye it in autumn colors using kool-aid, food coloring, icing dyes.

Everything else is spinner's choice.

How does this sound? Any other ideas?

Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  08:53:35 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Sounds great to me,too! Could I suggest that the fibers be on 3x5 cards that include information on whether it was commercially carded/handcard/drum or combed, etc; and what type of wool, if these things are known; processing tips such as whether it was spun in the grease, long-draw, short-draw, worsted/woolen...
would others want this information? I would find it very instructive to see samples that show the specifics of construction like that. I'd be glad to do the same with mine.
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  11:12:32 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Andy,

Yes, I agree, the more information we provide as to the type of wool, how it was processed, the better. I'm also interested in the dyeing process everyone chooses - whether the fiber was dyed, then spun or vice versa. Painted, sprayed, dunked, or any other type of dyeing process.

It's also nice to get a pinch of the starting fiber if spinners want to do that.

Now we are six......

Go to Top of Page

Suziehomemaker
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  4:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suziehomemaker's Homepage Send Suziehomemaker a Private Message
I'm in! I just started and would love to get samples! I have some wool spun up already to use. I'll just need to google instructions on dying wool. Great idea!
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  6:38:36 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
We are up to 7 spinners!

Add Andy and Suziehomemaker to the previous list.

Suzie, you can search KR for threads on kool-aid dyeing and probably food coloring and wilton icing colors too. It's easy, you can set the color in your microwave, and fun because there are lots of ways to apply the color. I know you'll enjoy it.

Go to Top of Page

Suziehomemaker
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  06:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suziehomemaker's Homepage Send Suziehomemaker a Private Message
Thanks! I bookmarked a page with detailed instructions so with the help of my hubby I should be ready to go!
Go to Top of Page

sheepish
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  12:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit sheepish's Homepage Send sheepish a Private Message
Are you full up, or have you got room for one more? I just found this forum tonight, and am a pretty new spinner, but would love some help as well as seeing what others are doing!

I milk sheep, do ewe?
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  07:20:31 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Nope, not filled up. Plenty of room for more spinners. Thanks for joining and sharing your spinning.

So far there are eight spinners for the swap.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.