Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 sweaters on knitting boards
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Happystitch
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  4:50:20 PM  Show Profile Send Happystitch a Private Message
I found a hand knitted hooded sweater for a two year old that I rally like. Is there a way of doing it on the knitting board and is there a formula that allows you to convert hand knitted patterns to the knitting board. I know you can convert crochet to knitting and knitting to crochet and I think it works the same way. I have tons of sweater patterns that I like but I find hand knitting so boring that I get half way through the sweater and I drop it for a while I do eventually finish it but I find the tention is different every time I pick it up. I like working with the knitting boards, so I am trying to find ways to knit sweaters and other items with it.

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  4:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Hi Happystitch! Welcome to the forums. You posted your question in the How to Use the Knitter's Review Forums section, which is intended for technical questions about how to use the forums. Normally knitting-related posts are deleted, but because this is your first post, I didn't want to see it go. I'm moving this to the Gadgets section, since the knitting board is technically a gadget. Hopefully you'll get some help there.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  05:38:39 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
What's a knitting board?How can you find hand knitting so boring?It's the best thing going.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

momofeight
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  12:14:23 PM  Show Profile Send momofeight a Private Message
I also am interested in a Knitting Board.
Saw the demo today and wondered if anyone else has one and if they like it.
I don't know how to knit by hand.....yes, I know, how stupid can I be.
I have been busy raising 8 children.........
Would anyone that has one tell me about it.
It looks like fun and if I can make some scarves for my 5 daughters, I would be so happy.
thanks.
Jan

jan
Go to Top of Page

momofeight
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  04:50:49 AM  Show Profile Send momofeight a Private Message
Actually it is called a Knitting Paddle.
The demo is so neat and looks easy.
I am So tempted but want to hear from people who have tried it.
Jan

jan
Go to Top of Page

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  2:41:12 PM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message
I use the knitting boards. I don't have the knitting paddle as I really don't need any more that small. I don't really care for doing piece work so I got some of the larger ones.

I haven't done any sweater patterns but I do have some patterns for sweaters done on a board. I got them from an online site, called knittingboards.com. I love the hooded coat pattern they have for sale and want to do it for myself, but other projects are in the works and that has to wait.

Look at your knitted pattern for that hooded sweater and see if it gives dimensions that you can translate to the board. Such as how many stitches per inch/row. Then you could do some swatch on the board to see how to adjust a non-board pattern to the board. Do you have an adjustable board or just a regular one? Being able to adjust the row gauge could make a big difference in sizing.

That demo for the knitting paddle is not really a great way to go. That going all the way back across the board to continue knitting is such a waste of yarn. There are other ways to accomplish the knitting with out doing that and there are some great online sites with tutorials for board and round loom knitting.

I like my boards. I have done baby ghans, bunting, scarves on the boards (I have several sizes, including ones that knit up to a 60" piece, my smallest is just a few inches across). I have a baby ghan on a 36" board right now that I am planning to work up a change for so as to add the baby's name to it before it is done, but I have to reinstall my pcstitch program first.

Ok something about a knitting board. It is also called a double rake. It has two sets of pegs/nails/cotter pins set across from each other. There are several combinations of wrapping for stitches to make a double knitted product, litterally, it has two sides to the piece. You can do some duplication of needle knitted patterns on the boards, and some lace work it possible. You can do the lace so it is an all the way through the piece look or a lace look on top of a solid background. Or you can do color designs, stripes, checks and more.

Do an online search for knitting boards or knitting rounds to find some great sites to check out.

MaryJeanne
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?