Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 ribbon yarns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ElizabethMM
Warming Up

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  05:15:48 AM  Show Profile Send ElizabethMM a Private Message
Hello,

So what do you think of ribbon yarns? I've just finished a shrug in LB's Incredible (variegated colors, 100% nylon) (my first ribbon yarn) and while I don't wish to condemn it, as it is very pretty especially in the light, and it's not technically difficult to knit up; however, at times on the ball the yarn had folded in on itself and I had to straighten it with a wet finger and nail.

The shrug was in garter stitch and I found the finished pieces too floppy with no hold - this might be do to loose knitting so I'm going go down a needle size after I've ripped the shrug to pieces (see my post on the General Technique board)[:((])

So what is your verdict on ribbons?- I won't be going back to them soon!

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  07:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Ribbon yarns are as different from each other as wool yarns are. Some ribbons are lovely to work with, and some are not. I wouldn't expect anything from Lion Brand to be any good...

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  08:15:50 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I think they knit up beautifully, but they are not my favorite. For me personally I am not much on the novelty yarns.
Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

ElizabethMM
Warming Up

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  10:07:03 AM  Show Profile Send ElizabethMM a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lissa

I wouldn't expect anything from Lion Brand to be any good...

No really it's not bad - made in Italy and obviously a notch above what they normally put out. It's just that it is very much like normal nylon ribbon, and therefore slinky.

Go to Top of Page

Carie
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  12:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carie's Homepage Send Carie a Private Message
I like ribbon yarns that are "dry" (I can't think of another word to describe their feel). So I love the Austermann Gigi from Elann, and some of the ribbon yarns I bought from Artfibers in San Francisco. But I find the ones that are sheeney and slippery (and they always look gorgeous) are impossible to work with. They snag and heaven help you if you drop a stitch. Egh. I tried Valley Casablaca (one of Webs closeouts, now I think in their garage sale section) and Cherry Tree Hill Baby Sachet. You have to keep each open ball in a zip lock bag because they fall apart immediately. I had to use the Casablanca as a carry-along with a wool yarn b/c it fell apart by itself. The Ch Tr Hi came in a hank, and it was so hard to wind I returned it. Life's too short. Less time winding, more time knitting!

My $0.02.

Carie

My name is Carie and I'm a yarnaholic.

(***hi carie***)
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  3:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I knit(ted?) my super-slippery ribbon tank directly off the swift - no tangles, no mess. Perfect solution!

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Go to Top of Page

beh2g
Chatty Knitter

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  07:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit beh2g's Homepage Send beh2g a Private Message
I haven't found a ribbon yarn that I absolutely loved (yet, anyway). I do like Colinette Giotto, but I dislike how it looks knit up. I think the idea is nice, and looks good in the skein, but I don't enjoy the finished project.

It does look lovely as fringe, if you're a fringe person. (Again, not me. :)
Go to Top of Page

griffsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

457 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  08:01:19 AM  Show Profile Send griffsmom a Private Message
I've been toying with making a poncho out of a ribbon yarn, but do you think it wold be too droopy? The pattern I was thinking of is from Crystal Palace: http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/deco_ribbon_poncho.html Would Crystal Palace's ribbon yarn be less droopy?

*~*Lori*~*

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethMM
Warming Up

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  10:21:21 AM  Show Profile Send ElizabethMM a Private Message
beh2g - it's interesting you say that about Giotto - there's a camisole on the cover of April Knitting magazine (UK) in Giotto that I thought of making - but from the photos it doesn't look all that. I thought it might be the color so I had a look at the other colorways on the Colinette site, which look lovely. But at 6.50 that would be an expensive cami - I'll bear in mind what you're saying if I do go ahead!

Lori - that's a cute poncho. I could imagine that if you went down a needle size it would come out less floppy - sizing doesn't seem like such a problem with a poncho like that.

Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

Carie
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  12:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carie's Homepage Send Carie a Private Message
Right off the swift! That's a great idea.

My slippery ribbon yarn already came in balls, so that wouldn't work, but maybe if it ever happens again....

Carie

My name is Carie and I'm a yarnaholic.

(***hi carie***)
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  12:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
It was a miracle, I tell ya!

Lissa

Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  12:34:15 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Carie
My slippery ribbon yarn already came in balls, so that wouldn't work, but maybe if it ever happens again....

If it's a ball, you can stop every so often, put a rubber band around the ball, and let it untwist. I found that to be the easiest way to work with the CPY Shimmer I recently used.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

griffsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

457 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  12:45:19 PM  Show Profile Send griffsmom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElizabethMM

Lori - that's a cute poncho. I could imagine that if you went down a needle size it would come out less floppy - sizing doesn't seem like such a problem with a poncho like that.

Elizabeth

Thanks for the suggestion Elizabeth! I'm going to write it down on the pattern right now, before I forget!!

*~*Lori*~*

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Go to Top of Page

terpsfan
Warming Up

65 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  4:49:24 PM  Show Profile Send terpsfan a Private Message
Elizabeth,
Ribbon yarns twist a lot, especially for Continental knitters (we wrap the yarn around the left forefinger). I find it helps a lot if you keep the ball in your lap with just a little coming off at a time. The longer the yarn, the more it seems to twist.
It is worth the trouble, though. I recently finished two capelets, one in an Artful Yarns ribbon called Cinema, and one in an FFF yarn called Isis. Both are nice and shimmery but have a fair bit of cotton so they feel soft.

quote:
Originally posted by ElizabethMM

Hello,

So what do you think of ribbon yarns? I've just finished a shrug in LB's Incredible (variegated colors, 100% nylon) (my first ribbon yarn) and while I don't wish to condemn it, as it is very pretty especially in the light, and it's not technically difficult to knit up; however, at times on the ball the yarn had folded in on itself and I had to straighten it with a wet finger and nail.

The shrug was in garter stitch and I found the finished pieces too floppy with no hold - this might be do to loose knitting so I'm going go down a needle size after I've ripped the shrug to pieces (see my post on the General Technique board)[:((])

So what is your verdict on ribbons?- I won't be going back to them soon!

Go to Top of Page

ElizabethMM
Warming Up

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  04:38:17 AM  Show Profile Send ElizabethMM a Private Message
Thanks terpsfan for the suggestion - I'll try it now that I've almost finished ripping up the shrug to reknit!

The ribbon yarns you and Carie mention sound lovely - just hard to find in the UK - good thing I'm off to the States tomorrow!

Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

nocturnelle
New Pal

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  09:40:00 AM  Show Profile Send nocturnelle a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NastiJ
If it's a ball, you can stop every so often, put a rubber band around the ball, and let it untwist. I found that to be the easiest way to work with the CPY Shimmer I recently used.

Oh, that's a great idea! I keep feeling foolish turning the ball of yarn to unwind it. I love the ribbon yarn that I'm working with (Estelle 68% cotton/ 32% nylon), but the twisting is slowing down the knitting! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

dacprof
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  7:58:23 PM  Show Profile Send dacprof a Private Message
I had a reasonably good experience with Tahki Capri, which is more of a cotton tape, than a ribbon. However, don't get me started on how many times I have untangled the Lion Brand ribbon yarn my DD insisted upon for a project that remains to be started. She has moved on from novelty yarns to worsted weight on a sweater. Meanwhile, what to do with those 5 balls of ribbon yarn?

Deb
Go to Top of Page

Dehbi
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  8:31:27 PM  Show Profile Send Dehbi a Private Message
It has been couple of weeks since the last post on this topic, but it might benefit somebody who stumbles across it...

When working with ribbon yarn from a ball, I put it into a zip locking sandwich bag (the ones with the pull tabs are easier to deal with for this purpose), and leave just a small opening through which I feed the yarn.

After it starts to get a little bit tight with the twisting, I just hold the bag up, let the weight of the knitting untwist the strand. You might have to stand up for this.

If your project is large, just put a safety pin through the ball and the bag, both, hold the project and let the bag with the ball of yarn in it hang down. It will untwist itself.

Another way you can do this is to undo a couple of feet of the yarn, put a pin in the ball of yarn, right where the yarn is feeding, and then hold either the ball or the project up when your twist gets too tight to continue, and then, with the yarn under control on both ends, let the twist out as above.

I usually ball up ribbon yarn in hanks, and do the above. But I like that suggestion about knitting from the swift.

Last year I helped a friend with a railroad ribbon tangle. The yarn had come in a hank that only had two ties in it. As a hand dyer of yarn, I had to learn the hard way that there need to be more ties if slippery yarns are going to be kept under control. My friend had taken out the two ties that were there and things quickly got OUT of control. What a mess! We spent 4 hours fighting with that hank. We got it balled up, but I was practically suicidal at the end of the nightmare. I told my friend, whom I love very much, that the next time this happens, she is on her own if she so much as THINKS about touching the ties!

Railroad yarn, now that I have mentioned it, is often scratchy, and needs to be stranded with something else. That can be a saving grace!

Ribbon is great for certain looks, but it can be pretty uncooperative. Not for the squeamish!
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  1:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I have swatched two different ribbon yarns: Filatura di Crosa's Elena and Berroco's Denim Silk and they felt VERY different. Elena felt like it was sticking to the needles (Addi Turbos!), while working with the Denim Silk has been a very nice experience. Now all I have to do is decide what to make with it...

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  09:43:24 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
I knit a jacket with Prism ribbon in a slip stitch pattern, using their boucle as the second yarn. It turned out beautifully and is one of my favorite pieces. I kept the ribbon in a ziploc, which kept it under control.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaG
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  10:15:52 AM  Show Profile Send PatriciaG a Private Message
Dicksie,

Do you have a picture of the project? I looked at your photos but didn't see it.

Patricia in West Sac., CA.

"How did I get over the hill without getting up to the top"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by