Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Ok, you guys were right.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jennaknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  4:26:19 PM  Show Profile Send jennaknits a Private Message
Long tail cast on = best way to go.

I've had problems throughout my knitting career with casting on and having a mile of yarn between the needles as I continued, and tried to remedy this by casting on as tight as humanly possible. When my Brown Sheep yarn ripped trying this, I knew I needed to do something. I guess I'd been doing provisional cast on or something. Whatever it is my grandma taught me. It's super fast and easy, but the quality isn't there. The bottom of my projects was generally embarassing. But, my friend's hat will be beautiful now. Yay!

http://knitdiva.blogspot.com/

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  4:40:27 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Years ago, jenna, I had the same problem and the long tail cast on solved it too. Congratulations on conquering your Everest! :) I love your blog.

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://www.zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  5:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I always used the "knit on" cast on. Then I learned the e-loop and the long tail at my knitter's group. Now, I use all three at different times. I do love the long tail. It leaves a pretty edge. I also find it easier to seam my washcloths with the edge it has. I like e-loop when I want to be fast (and I am guess that is what you were doing Jenna, quick, easy, not as nice). I don't really "knit on" as much now, but once in a while. I think I used a "cable knit on" for my Christmas stocking. It works well. It certainly is nice to finally have learned more ways to cast on. I still don't know a provisional cast on, but seems to me that one is where you start with scrap yarn and then pull it out when you need to have the beginning stitches live again.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Seen on a church marquee: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape.
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaS
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
537 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  6:46:47 PM  Show Profile Send PatriciaS a Private Message
I've not done either the provisional or the longtail caston. I did see longtail demo'd on Knitty Gritty the other day and may try it sometime. I recently learned the crochet caston and to be honest, I love the way it looks -- I learned it for my Einstein coat (current project). Very handsome.

The only caston I even remotely "enjoy" doing is the e-caston which is quick, quick, quick. But a little sloppy, it's true. I learned with the knit-on caston which stitch was then twisted and added to the left needle. I don't get the cable caston at all, tho sometimes use it (why I don't actually know, LOL).

-----------------------
Is there anything more important than knitting?
Go to Top of Page

Roxanne
Seriously Hooked

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  6:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Roxanne's Homepage Send Roxanne a Private Message
I just learnt the tubular cast-on and quite like it for it's stretchy-ness which is especially useful at the waistline/hips of garments.

"Success is a Journey; not a Destination"
My Blog: http://knitnpurlzen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GloriaMc
New Pal

29 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  6:57:34 PM  Show Profile Send GloriaMc a Private Message
lella-love your phrase 'conquering your Everest!' Truly puts many of the experiences we face in to a very positive perspective. Know not only will I think of that phrase while knitting....but as I teach all 'my' little kids who have difficulty in learning to read! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  03:04:57 AM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
Woo-hoo!
It's always a great feeling to master a problem.

I've been doing the *long-tail cast-on* since the beginning.
I don't know any other way. ??

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  06:56:26 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
I was taught on longtail caston, too, and have had to force myself to learn others when the pattern calls for them (especially provisional). But it's really worth it to have that flexibility, isn't it?

"The past does not equal the future"

The other Fran in Kansas City
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  06:59:56 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Congrats! I personally can't stand it and use cable cast on.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Mary Holton
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  09:18:11 AM  Show Profile Send Mary Holton a Private Message
I am not sure, but I thought I saw a version of the long-tail cast on using two stands9from two balls) tied together at the beginning and then cutting one off when you have enough stitches cast on. This helps to eliminate the too little or too much yarn for the cast one.
Go to Top of Page

tincanknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  09:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit tincanknitter's Homepage Send tincanknitter a Private Message
When my mom taught me to knit years (& years) ago the long tail CO was the only I learned. I didn't even know there were other ways until I got brave enough to try more intermediate patterns. But they all definitely have there benefits.

Oh yeah, the long tail CO was a bugger to learn and I almost gave up on the whole knitting thing. Then when I taught my 13 yo DS, he picked it up, no problem!

Vyv

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vyvneel%40sbcglobal.net/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

crise
Chatty Knitter

337 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  10:13:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit crise's Homepage Send crise a Private Message
I use the long tail co almost exclusively. I like the edge. For me it is the fastest, I can do it without thinking. While I know a few others, I generally fall back to the LTCO unless there is a pressing reason not to use it.

There are a few others that I would like to learn, including tubular, twisted german and I need to work on my provisional. But, hey, those are goals for the next year.

Kris

2005 stats: 12 FO, 4 WIP, 6 USO, 1 Frogpond

How is it that my USO & WIP never decrease, no matter how many FO I create?

Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  2:17:24 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
I use long-tail pretty exclusively. I find that by pulling off about three times the length/circumference it's just about right. Nothing complicated there. Your initial cast on sounds like backward loop. It has a tendency to "grow" as you knit, leaving a long sloppy loop.

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  2:50:54 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I taught myself long tail cast on when learning to knit. But switched to cable cast on whenever I knit a first "right sided row" I think it's a prettier edge. I never ran out of yarn. But recently learned the long tail using two skeins and now use the longtail much more often and always when I start w/ a wrong side. I do want to learn the provisional cast on, but other than that I think w/ the long tail, cable, knit on, and provisional I think those are enough...but then there is this other cast on that is so pretty.....

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  5:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
I learned the long tail method when I was 7. I always found it difficult to teach others as they would never get past the cast on to the actual knitting.

Then I learned the knit on and cable cast on. I now use those exclusively when teaching a new knitter (while explaining to them that there are many ways to cast on) so that they can get to the "real" knitting.

After they've had some success with their first piece, I encourage them to try different cast ons to see which one they really like.

The e cast on, while easy, is very sloppy and can get very tight easily so I don't usually teach new knitters on this. However, my son (a beginner) LOVES the e cast on - he thinks of it as a "short" cut. Hey whatever works ;}.

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  6:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
I like to use a super long tail when I cast on and then I tie knots at various measurements from the cast on edge that I am going to need for the pattern that I am making.

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

jennaknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  6:43:51 PM  Show Profile Send jennaknits a Private Message
Thanks everyone! I've been using my old CO (I think it is the e-loop, after all) to get an idea of how much of a tail to leave. And then I have a mile of yarn left. I finally realized....hey, that mile of yarn is usually between the needles :)

http://knitdiva.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  12:28:58 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Someone showed me how to measure off for it, my Auntie I think. She wrapped the yarn around the needle ten times and then did the multiples of ten stitches from there, the old 10,20,40, 80.. thing with the yarn. It's pretty accurate.

Gloria, sometimes it's the big "ahaa!" and makes you feel great for a long time, that conquering Everest. You teach the little ones? Sweet indeed.

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://www.zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  10:31:57 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
The simplest and most effiecient way to do the long tail is with 2 seperate ends, in my opinion. You can use either 2 balls or both ends of one ball. No fuss, no muss, no guessing, no waste.

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:
Fran's Site:

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000