Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning with Spindles
 I'm having some trouble...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lanthir
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  09:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanthir's Homepage Send Lanthir a Private Message
I just got my first drop spindle, and I know in theory how it's supposed to work. My problem is, every time I start to spin, it seems to be working for the first 15 seconds or so, and then it starts spinning the other way and unraveling everything.
How do I get it to stop doing that?

"And we shall call it 'This Land'"
Firefly

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  10:27:24 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
You do need to keep twirling the spindle every few seconds, otherwise it will start to unspin the yarn.

Catch it between your knees if you`re sitting down, before it starts to backspin and untwist the yarn.. It gives you time to rearrange your hands up top before you set it twirling again. In time you won`t need to do this, but it helps when you`re just learning.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Lanthir
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  11:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanthir's Homepage Send Lanthir a Private Message
Thanks! It's working very nicely now.

Firefly
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  5:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
It may be that your spindle is too light for the fiber you're spinning. It's also true that beginner yarn is usually very thick, and that beginners often haven't gotten the grasp of keeping the twist out of the drafting zone. Try pre-drafting the heck out of your fiber, use the park and draft method that Val described - it should help.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Lanthir
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  06:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanthir's Homepage Send Lanthir a Private Message
Thank you for the advice. EVerything seems to be going more smoothly now that I've figured out how to keep the spindle spinning with my feet while my hands draft the fiber.
But now I'm all out of fiber. Oh well.

Firefly
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  11:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
If you're out of fiber, what are you doing here? Get thee to a fiber shop (or at least a fiber website!) and get more!!! Unless I get there and buy it all up first...

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe