Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Using Kool-Aid
 Kool aide not dyeing evenly
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nadege
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  1:09:56 PM  Show Profile Send Nadege a Private Message
I bought KnitPicks dye your own wool and used 5 pkts of Kool aide to 4oz of yarn. I followed directions carefully (vinegar, not agitating yarn much etc) and wanted a uniform color, but the yarn dyed unevenly. Some parts are light pink and other parts almost white. Even though this is not the effect I wanted, I'll pretend I wanted tie dye. I'm wondering if I did something wrong, or should I just buy "real" dyes?

Thanks
Nadege

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  2:54:22 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Just buy more kool aid and redo. I don't think 4 packs were enough, more like 10 or 12 packs.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  3:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
that's why I use the straight FD&C colors...
they are really concentrated.
I actually try to dye in a heathered uneven way and end up with it too even.....
vi
the grass is always greener

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  3:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Yep, sounds like the little bit of KA you used struck where it landed, and exhausted right there.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  3:34:39 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
I've had that problem, even when I used more Kool-Aid than recommended. Left it several hours, and it didn't take up all the color. Does it have anything to do with how wet the wool is when you put it in the dye bath? Could one part of a hank be wetter than another?

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  4:10:19 PM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message
Wouldn't it be better to put the KoolAid in the boiling vinegar/water mixture before you put in the yarn if you wanted it to be an even color all over?
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  5:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
you should dissolve all the powder stuff ahead of time....( I would dissolve it in either boiling water or hot water/vinegar)
and then let it settle a bit....
do not pour out the settement into the bigger dye vat....

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  6:56:40 PM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message
I was just thinking about the tutorial on this page -- the second one that starts down the page a bit with the title OVERDYEING / ONE-COLOR DYE / HOW TO DYE A HAT. That seems like the logical way to do one-color dyeing.
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  10:08:27 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
My process is to wet down the wool for at least 30 minutes in water that has a little vinegar, dissolve the Kool-Aid completely in the water and then put the wool into the dye, which has enough liquid to completely cover the wool. I've tried it with the wool quite wet and with some of the water spun out in a salad spinner; problems both ways. Kool-Aid was very well dissolved. I get paler stripes that occur near each other in the hank, which is why I think it's liquid related, rather than the sprinkly sort of stuff that might occur with incomplete dissolution of the KA.

lemons of missouri

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  12:03:04 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by truly violet

that's why I use the straight FD&C colors...
they are really concentrated.
I actually try to dye in a heathered uneven way and end up with it too even.....
vi
the grass is always greener

Vi, where do you get the FD&C stuff?

I like variegation, too. That's why I ended up over-dyeing my HPY yarn.

Barbara

Healthy conservatism promotes the continuity of civilization, the importance of community, the dangers of thoughtless change. It does not, or should not, assert the right of white, Christian heterosexual males of a certain age to limit the rights of everyone else. The past 100 years of social history has been dedicated, on good days, to constraining the dominance of this minority. Yesterday was a good day: J.Ibbotson, June 29/05, on the passing of the same-sex marriage bill.

Photos:
Blog:

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  05:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
It's not clear from your post whether you "cooked" the dyed yarn or not. The dye won't set unless it is either steamed or microwaved.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  06:09:44 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
also - from your description of how the streaks of lighter colour appear - it may be your hanks are too tight - and either the water or the dye liquid is unable to penatrate the hank evenly. hanks for dyeing should be loose. while you don't want to agitate the wool while it is being dyed - it does help to give it SOME movement to make sure the dye liquid is penatrating evenly.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  06:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Well, I'm not the expert dyer that some are on the forums, but if you are mixing vinegar into the soaking water, it will cause the KoolAid dye to "strike" very quickly when the yarn comes into contact. Usually when an even dye coverage is desired, some type of a wetting agent is used to slow the strike down. I have used Synthropol, salt, and plain old liquid soap in the soaking water to do this. Remember, KoolAid already has acid in the powder, so additional acid will just cause the dye to take up even faster. You can always add vinegar to the dyepot after the yarn is already in it, if it's not exhausting fast enough.

Just some thoughts-

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  06:41:37 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Yes, I've cooked it. But the "striking" remarks make very good sense.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

Nadege
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  08:49:33 AM  Show Profile Send Nadege a Private Message
Thanks for all the info. I guess I'll just try again. I did put the vinegar in with the Kool Aide mixture before I cooked it. When I put in the yarn like magic the yarn soaked all the dye immediately, so perhaps I will eliminate the vinegar and use more Kool Aide mix.

Nadege
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?