Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 Debbie Bliss Cashmerino
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Manicgirl
Chatty Knitter

Sweden
203 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  1:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manicgirl's Homepage Send Manicgirl a Private Message
I knitted some with Debbie Bliss Cashmerino superchunky, and it's to die for! I can't wait to get my hands on som baby cashmerino to make some babysweaters. The colours are great too!

This is probably the most luxurious yarn I've ever knitted with, and for me, it's worth every penny.

Tina
http://ulltopia.typepad.com/wooltopia

Hulagirl
Chatty Knitter

174 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  4:57:49 PM  Show Profile Send Hulagirl a Private Message
thanks for posting this about the DB yarn...I've used her cotton;
wasn't impressed as it split quite a bit but consistently throughout the sweater my gauge stayed the same....did a sweater from IK with
granny squares, except I changed the gs pattern so that my granny
squares came out looking like flowers. And I used Tahki's cotton
classic for the squares. You know, it's too nice to wear!
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  9:35:35 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
I love DB Cashmerino Superchunky-aaahhhhhh

~~justine~~
Go to Top of Page

Karen in MN
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  06:57:01 AM  Show Profile Send Karen in MN a Private Message
I adore Cashmerino but I find it difficult to join a new ball without leaving a big lump. I did a vest with it that turned out fine, because it was in pieces, and the joins could be hidden in the seams. Then I made a sweater with it that was knitted in the round, and had an awful time when it came time to join. I can still see every join in it, and it just drives me nuts.

quote:
Originally posted by Manicgirl

I knitted some with Debbie Bliss Cashmerino superchunky, and it's to die for! I can't wait to get my hands on som baby cashmerino to make some babysweaters. The colours are great too!

This is probably the most luxurious yarn I've ever knitted with, and for me, it's worth every penny.

Tina
http://ulltopia.typepad.com/wooltopia

Go to Top of Page

crzyang
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  05:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit crzyang's Homepage Send crzyang a Private Message
I saw this yarn in my favorite yarn store and fell in love. At 14.00 a skein I will need to save up but I would like to make myself a simple sweater. I have never made an adult sweater before. Just a simple up and over no seam (except the underarm/side area) baby sweater.

Which pattern did you use for yours?
Go to Top of Page

Karen in MN
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  12:29:57 PM  Show Profile Send Karen in MN a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crzyang

I saw this yarn in my favorite yarn store and fell in love. At 14.00 a skein I will need to save up but I would like to make myself a simple sweater. I have never made an adult sweater before. Just a simple up and over no seam (except the underarm/side area) baby sweater.

Which pattern did you use for yours?

Okay, I just realized this thread started out about Debbie Bliss Cashmerino SUPERCHUNKY -- and the sweater I made was in the regular worsted weight, so I don't know if this counts. But the pattern I used was from Knitty.com, http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTtempting.html , and it was really not difficult at all, and looks really great in the Cashmerino. I have since learned to do a Russian join so it doesn't show, and I wish I had known how to do this before I made the sweater, because I can still see the lumpy joins I made even though other people say they can't see it.

Karen in MN
Go to Top of Page

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  5:35:04 PM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message
Love love love DB Cashmerino Superchunky. A fantastic gift is Alison's orange bliss scarf made from two skeins of the yarn, and trust me, there's no threat of itching or scratching at all. I agree with Karen that the joins (even in the Superchunky) can be difficult to hide, although a Russian join probably helps quite a bit.

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page

jewishfarmer
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  6:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit jewishfarmer's Homepage Send jewishfarmer a Private Message
I have to admit, I don't love the baby cashmerino, and haven't tried the chunky stuff. It pills quickly, and some of the colors develop a dingy off-tone after the first (hand) wash. The deeper, brighter colors seem ok, but I made my niece a blanket in pink and light blue, and it all looks greyish now, despite my sister's very careful washing and much care.

For what it costs, I expected better.

Jewishfarmer
"Rats and roaches live under the laws of supply and demand; it is the privelege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy" - Wendell Berry
www.casaubonsbook.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  6:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I have had no problem with the Baby Cashmerino. I use it more often than any other yarn for knitting baby things. I actually just accumulated the yarn to knit a Fair Isle cardigan from one of the DB books for my new niece. That is, if I can bring myself to start knitting again since it's been months now and I still haven't picked up the needles.

Anyway, I wonder if the yarn reacts to the various detergents that people use to wash baby clothes. I find machine washing in Dreft keeps everything looking just fine. IMO Cheer works well also but Tide is far too harsh for normal washing and unnecessary for baby things. Handwash solutions also are somewhat of a problem. Woolite bleeds the color out of most fabrics and has lost favor as the preferred hand wash liquid. Simple Ivory liquid is probably better for this purpose.

Sometimes I feel like I spend a lot of time defending Debbie Bliss yarns. Honestly, I don't work for her and it's really meaningless to me if someone doesn't want to use them anymore. I just don't understand how everyone can have such varied results with the quality of the same product.
Go to Top of Page

Karen in MN
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  06:14:01 AM  Show Profile Send Karen in MN a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GFTC

Anyway, I wonder if the yarn reacts to the various detergents that people use to wash baby clothes. I find machine washing in Dreft keeps everything looking just fine. IMO Cheer works well also but Tide is far too harsh for normal washing and unnecessary for baby things. Handwash solutions also are somewhat of a problem. Woolite bleeds the color out of most fabrics and has lost favor as the preferred hand wash liquid. Simple Ivory liquid is probably better for this purpose.

Good point! I wash my cashmerino vest & sweater in Wool Mix, which is what I wash any of my hand-knit wool or wool blend garments in. I never ever use regular laundry detergent for them, I'm sure that could make a difference. I have not had issues with color fading or with pilling. Which could lead to another thread, what does everyone wash their hand knits in.

Go to Top of Page

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  07:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Molly C's Homepage Send Molly C a Private Message
I just finished up a sweater for my coming-soon-baby and washed/blocked it in Wool Mix and did not lose any color - I used the chocolate brown color, as I don't yet know the gender of said baby. The sweater was made out of the DK weight.

I'm also making a blanket out of the Super-chunky for the baby. I'm not far along with it yet, but it's very soft and I think it will be a great blanket for a newborn. I know a lot of people think the Super-chunky is too expensive for a blanket, but this is my first baby, and I waited a very long time for it, so I don't really care. And even if it does pill some - so what? A baby isn't going to care one hoot about pilling, and this blanket is not going to be handed down to anyone else; it will belong to this child and this child alone.

Molly
Knitting Away in Connecticut.

Have a blog? Join the KR Webring and share your blog with the rest of the group! Click here.
Go to Top of Page

jewishfarmer
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  4:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jewishfarmer's Homepage Send jewishfarmer a Private Message
My sister is a knitter also, and used Eucalan, which IMHO, a yarn should be able to tolerate. Again, though, the only colors that look dingy were the very pale ones. The dark blue came through just fine - again, there's nothing inherently wrong with the yarn, just if you are going to spend that much money, I think you can expect better, particularly in a yarn specifically created for children. A beloved baby blanket will get ratty in any yarn - you don't need the yarn to give it a head start.

Sharon

Jewishfarmer
"Rats and roaches live under the laws of supply and demand; it is the privelege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy" - Wendell Berry
www.casaubonsbook.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  3:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message
I would love to see pics (and/or patterns) of some of the things you have knit with this yarn.

I was thinking of purchasing some for Kate Gilbert's gifted mittens: http://www.kategilbert.com/ms_gifted.html

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

CJknits2much
Chatty Knitter

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  08:19:59 AM  Show Profile Send CJknits2much a Private Message
I don't know about Cashmerino Superchunky, but I've knit several baby blankets out of Cashmerino Aran and love it. Easy to work with, very soft, very warm and snuggly, and very washable. The white baby blanket for grandchild #1 has been machine-washed every week for three years, and still looks great IMHO.

If Superchunky is anything like it, it's great.

CJ
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  09:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
I'm doing my first project in Cashmerino Aran...and I LOVE LOVE LOVE knitting with it! I'm doing a dark/light combination so I'm going to knit up a small piece to wash and see if the colors bleed before I finish it....yes I should have done this FIRST...but the yarn was so yummy I couldn't wait to start.

~Wendy

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"

My blog and other such nonsense... 2 Wet Fins
Go to Top of Page

momsie123
Chatty Knitter

125 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  07:12:57 AM  Show Profile Send momsie123 a Private Message
I had 3 balls of Cashmerino Superchunky and was disappointed to find 3 knots in one ball and 1 knot in another. The yarn was nice to knit with but I think I'd look for a substitute before I bought more at that price and with the knotting problem.
Go to Top of Page

knittynoddy
Gabber Extraordinaire

460 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  09:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittynoddy's Homepage Send knittynoddy a Private Message
I knitted up one of Debbie Bliss' cabled sweater patterns in the yarn called for Cashmerino Aran. My experience has been that while the yarn is really soft and squishy, and knitted up well, there were quite a few balls with knots and it pills a lot.

Evelyn
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  06:07:46 AM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
I made my son a cashmerino aran scarf for winter and whilst it was all lovely to knit with etc, etc my 2 balls had extra knots in them and after only a few wears it is all pilled and old looking. Now my son is careful and doesn't even wear it at playtime only in the morning.
My only saving grace whilst I curse this yarn is that I did not buy a ton of it to knit a sweater with because the quality is just NOT there for what you pay for it. Gee ... I really can't wait to wash it - maybe I just never will.

Diana

2005 stats: 3 WIP, 18 FO, 2 Frogged
Go to Top of Page

counterculture
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  3:57:41 PM  Show Profile Send counterculture a Private Message
I found two balls of the aran weight in a clearance bin and used one to knit a baby bonnet. A dream to knit with! Loved the results:)

If I smoked as much as I knit, I'd have lung cancer...luckily, I don't smoke;)
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  09:35:22 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
I think I have to differ. I really didn't like the feel of Cashmerino once I started knitting with it. It feels great in the skein, but in my fingers all I could feel was the acrylic. Just kind of felt lifeless. If you compare something like Aurora 8, same gauge and similar texture but all natural fiber, you can feel the difference immediately. I wound up frogging the Cashmerino project. Never again.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  08:05:41 AM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
What can I say but I love this yarn. I have knitted two items already with it. If I could afford more and more yarn I would stock pile this.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?