Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Art Fibers Yarns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  09:23:16 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Clara,

You are, as always, sooooo right! I ordered samples on 2 different occasions since they only allow you to purchase 12 at a time! Naturally, that wasn't quite enough for me, so I just ordered 12 more the next week. I knit them all up and here are my favorites:

Sophia, which is a 50/50 blend of angora and merino, of which I am definitely a big fan. I love soft, plushy yarns that feel utterly wonderful against my skin and knit up like a dream (alot like Chamonix, but more affordable) and this is one of them. I got the sample in color 17, which is a brilliant lavender color.

Thoreau is 100% extrafine merino wool (ahem....do we see a pattern here ) but it works up with a totally different feel and look to it than any other ex.fine merino I've knit. It's soft, but not lacking consistency and the stitch definition is great! I love the color I got which is called granite and is a subtle combo of black, charcoal gray, taupe and a hint of beige....stunning!

Sherlock, 75% ex. fine merino/25% silk and this one is just lovely with a soft drapey look and a wonderful color grading as I knit the sample in the color I chose, #14 a combo of dark browns, milk chocolates, gold, soft dark greens. It would also be a great color for me in a sweater (well, okay, so I'd need to put this project on hold, while I finish my gazillion others first ).

Fianlly, Baroque, 100% nylon which has a dressy and sparkly look to it and would be great to use for a scarf that would look very dressy, or to add in with other fibers to give an item some real pizazz!

Just my for the record! Glad I could jump in!

Hugs, Patience

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  09:34:21 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
Yeah! Thanks for the review on ArtFibers, I LOVE their yarns. Like Patience, I ordered a ton of samples and the hardest part was picking which yarn to buy because I loved them all.

I did like the Kyoto you used for your review. My favourites were: 1. Nanook in the Blue Ice colourway (blues, turquoise & greens), 2. Sanskrit (100% recycled sari silk - felt like heaven in my hands). 3. Toto in the Agate (black, brown & royal purple) and the Berry (different shades of reds & oranges) colourways 4. Scottie in the Paprika (olive & red) colourway, 5. Diva in Sapphire.

I have to second what Patience said about Thoreau & Sherlock. I think the best thing about ArtFibers yarns is that they knit up so well and I've never encountered a snagging or splitting problem with the yarns I've used.

I purchased 2 hanks of Sanskrit, 12 balls of Nanook & 3 balls of Toto. Once I get through my projects, I'm definitely getting some Diva, Thoreau, & Scottie.

So, I give 2 thumbs up(or should I say needles up?) to ArtFibers

--Kristin

Go to Top of Page

knitchick22
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  2:15:49 PM  Show Profile Send knitchick22 a Private Message
i live in the san francisco bay area and had the privelage of working TWO blocks from artfibers... it is absolutely 100% the best yarn shop i have ever been in. all of their yarns are so gorgeous, i always have a hard time deciding what to buy! you can knit up samples of any and every yarn in there. and it's true, their yarns are all exclusively spun for the shop. it is run by the nicest, most helpful people, there is a lot of room to sit and knit, they have a lot of straight and circular needles to knit sample swatches and there is a good selection of needles to purchase. if ever in the area, definitely make a pit stop at artfibers, you will be very glad you did!

robin
http://robinknits.prettyposies.com
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  5:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Is the five yard swatching sample really enough to make a swatch? I ask because.....several months ago--in fact, about a year ago--in Knit N Style (which I usually don't like) there was a pattern for a meitered square skirt. I think it was by Valentine(?) and it was essentially magic ball knitting with black mohair thrown in to tie it all together.

Anyhow, I thought that buying some samples might be a really good CHEAP way to add to my odd ball stash. Any thoughts?

Amanda

Mindy to Heidi: Did I tell you she knits in class? She knits away and two weeks later she comes in wearing a new sweater!
Go to Top of Page

Karen F
Sustaining Member

248 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  05:26:55 AM  Show Profile Send Karen F a Private Message
Anyone try Sherlock in a garment? I want to do a cardigan for Spring and this attracted me- wool and silk. Was that # 14 called Chestnut? I have my eye on it.
Karen

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2054 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  07:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Your descriptions of their yarns are making me drool!!!
Patience, you have a future as a writer/reviewer of yarns.
To you all who have knitted w/their fibers, do you have a particular one that you would recommend for scarves? I'm planning on making many scarves as Xmas gifts & Art Fibers sounds like a good place to check out. My guess is that you all may say I can't go wrong w/any yarn
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  10:11:42 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I just checked out this site and they have the most beautiful yarns! I found the perfect yarn I've been searching for for a scarf pattern I found in one of the knitting magazines. Now...if I can only find the pattern again...

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

PatT
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  10:13:03 AM  Show Profile Send PatT a Private Message
I don't know this new yarn "Kyoto," but I want to add my 2c in praise of this store, which is a fantastic experience both on their website and in person. Going there is absolutely the central event of any visit I make to the Bay area, and the service is as good as the yarns. Even a newcomer is treated as well as the "regulars" (not true in some other high-end yarn stores I patronize), and the chance to try out a swatch of yarns is a great help in managing the overwhelming temptation. I'm glad to see them get more publicity.

Go to Top of Page

Sheri
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  8:56:35 PM  Show Profile Send Sheri a Private Message
Artfibers is a must visit if anyone is planning to visit SF! I used to live in Berkeley, in the Bay area - feeling VERY sorry for myself that I don't still - But to remind me of SF and to give myself a treat, I have knit a hat and scarf using some of their mohair blends. There is not a dull moment knitting with their yarns - satisfying on all levels and I feel like a princess wearing the garments.

I have even knit a couple of dog sweaters using their yarns. One dog is shown on my website wearing a greenish mohair number with hot pink trim.

I can't wait to be able to order from them on-line....sigh....

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  11:12:14 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Next time I am downtown where I don't go unless I have to, I must stop in Art Fibers. The place sounds terrific. At one point in time I worked not too far from where they are located and as I am retired I don't go downtown unless I have to--I get into too much trouble. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

GrandmaHatter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2003 :  7:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrandmaHatter's Homepage Send GrandmaHatter a Private Message
I am knitting a knitting bag out of Kyoto, and I love love love it! It is really pretty and, as the review said, easy to work with. I am using the orange, (since orange is my favorite color) and the color is really vibrant and a tiny bit verigated. I also have some Sanskrit- I have no idea what I'll make with it, but it was so pretty that I bought it anyway. I'm sure I'll come up with something...

If you go to the Artfibers store, another great place to go is Britex Fabrics, which is right around the block. They don't sell yarn, but if you need any fabric, they have 4 floors of it! I bought some really lovely upholstery fabric to line my knitting bag there.

Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2003 :  9:27:02 PM  Show Profile Send Helen a Private Message
Hi Karen,
I just saw your question about Sherlock. I ordered Sherlock #13. I just love it. It would make a wonderful next to the skin sweater! I am making what I call a half sweater to wear around my shoulders. It is a 6X60 inch rectangle with a much larger rectangle for the back attached. Actually, I will figure the center of the 6X60 piece and pick up an equal number of stitches on each side of the center, the width of my back and knit down. Anyway, it is a lovely yarn to knit and the coloration is so rich. It is so soft yet it doesn't split. Don't tell anyone but I didn't wash my gage swatch so I don't know if it will bleed. I doubt it will, the quality is just to good! Artfibers recommended a larger kneedle than I liked for the yarn. I had to go down 2 needle sizes, but it was great either way, just my preference. In my personal opinion it is a much better yarn than anything Colinette puts out in both yarn quality and coloration!
I am going on a trip and will be in Southern California. I really wish I could get to San Fran somehow and go to their shop! Just haven't figured that one out yet.
Have fun knitting!
Helen

I love strings
Go to Top of Page

LondonK1P1YO
New Pal

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  09:14:20 AM  Show Profile Send LondonK1P1YO a Private Message
By chance I was in San Francisco on a business trip the very day Clara posted the review of Kyoto, and indirectly the review of the Art Fibers. My hotel was across the street, and I had been in the shop three times during my stay. A wonderful experience. I brought home some Kyoto after swatching it in various combinations and colors. I have also knit a gorgeous scarf of Sherlock. As others have said, the drape is excellent, and the closely blended colors (#18) make it rich. I wish they had a few more offerings in softer colors. What they have, and their attitude toward knitters and their merchandise, is terrific. I was crushed to miss their Show-and-Tell party later in January. A great place.

Go to Top of Page

conniec
Chatty Knitter

220 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  4:43:18 PM  Show Profile Send conniec a Private Message
Hi --

I finally broke down and ordered some samples from them today. I can't wait to get them!

-Connie

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  10:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
I wanted to share a very helpful response I received from Artfibers' Nyle Seabright concerning Kyoto and, in particular, our interest in lighter colors:

"This has been a challenging yarn to develop to fullest potential. Initially we stayed with dark colors because the mohair and silk compete for dye, with the silk taking its fill first. In light shades the mohair would be dye starved and appear bleached. Over the past year we developed new equipment and procedures to give the mohair its fair share, and as a result we will be introducing lighter shades for Spring. Felting was at one point also an issue. As you may know, most mohair is manufactured in loops that are later brushed out, to reduce the chance of felting during processing. Kyoto is spun without the loops, which is easier on the fibers, so we have developed special processing that prevents felting. To build the intense red of color 20 and yet maintain softness and lustre in the final product we have a routine that adds dye and modifies ph at four intervals over a 16 hour cycle. This is one reason that you will not find exactly the same product elsewhere -- nobody else is crazy enough to go to so much trouble for a plain color yarn!"

Just one of the many reasons Artfibers is a very special company.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.