Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Software
 Software for writing charts with symbols?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

styledbykristin
Gabber Extraordinaire

391 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  06:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit styledbykristin's Homepage Send styledbykristin a Private Message
I did a google search, and the only software that has come up is "Stitch & Motif Maker".

1. Does anyone else own this software? Do you like it?
2. Is there any other software out there? Better? Worse?

Thank you all for any comments and recommendations.

Kristin

www.styledbykristin.blogspot.com
www.styledbykristin.com
kristin@styledbykristin.com

Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have.

reba
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  09:08:47 AM  Show Profile Send reba a Private Message
I have this and I love it! I've used it for both fairisle and cable patterns. The customer support is excellent.

There is a yahoo group for the knitting software package (sweater wizard, stich and motif maker and sock wizard) and the designer/author Carole is fantastic about answering emails. You might want to post a message there to get feedback from the 1000 or so of us who own the software and use it: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sweaterwizard/

good luck!
rebekah
Go to Top of Page

allsmile
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  09:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit allsmile's Homepage Send allsmile a Private Message
Somewhere I found a font that has all the basic chart symbols. It has a key so that you know which letter you have to type to get which symbol. Is that the sort of thing you're wanting? If so I can look and see if I can find where it is or if I can copy mine for you (it was free online somewhere).

*Vicki*

Check out my blog
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  10:41:27 AM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message
Thank you for mentioning that font, allsmile. I found several. The one I like is here. I already have PatternMaker for cross stitch and, with this font, I can very easily make knitting charts with that program.

I'm sure that Stitch & Motif Maker is a great program, but it's nice not to have to buy something new.
Go to Top of Page

styledbykristin
Gabber Extraordinaire

391 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  11:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit styledbykristin's Homepage Send styledbykristin a Private Message
Thank you allsmile and Deni. I will look it up right now.
I contacted the company that makes Stitch and Motif Maker and they said that their product was not recommended for professional pattern writing, but rather for personal home use. They recommended a company called cochenille.com for professional software.
Until I decide exactly what they do, I will keep researching. Thanks to all for contribution on this thread.

Kristin

www.styledbykristin.blogspot.com
www.styledbykristin.com

Go to Top of Page

purlwise
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  12:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlwise's Homepage Send purlwise a Private Message
Thanks for bringing this up Kristin.

I'm also interested in finding out what professional pattern writers use. If you find out can you let us know?

Regards,
Melinda
www.purlwise.com
Go to Top of Page

allsmile
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  2:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit allsmile's Homepage Send allsmile a Private Message
I'm glad you were able to find one. I don't think that's the one I have, I may have to see how they differ. It definitely sounds easier than to buy a program. I was thinking I could even use it in excel or another spreadsheet and just make each cell one character wide.

*Vicki*

Check out my blog
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  02:54:41 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by allsmile

I'm glad you were able to find one. I don't think that's the one I have, I may have to see how they differ. It definitely sounds easier than to buy a program. I was thinking I could even use it in excel or another spreadsheet and just make each cell one character wide.

That's exactly what I have in mind to do. If you can find where you got yours, I'd be interested in seeing it, as well.

Barbara

Healthy conservatism promotes the continuity of civilization, the importance
of community, the dangers of thoughtless change. It does not, or should not,
assert the right of white, Christian heterosexual males of a certain age to
limit the rights of everyone else. The past 100 years of social history has
been dedicated, on good days, to constraining the dominance of this
minority. Yesterday was a good day: J.Ibbotson, June 29/05, on the passing of the same-sex marriage bill.

Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  05:19:48 AM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message
I played around with PatternMaker some more and found that I didn't really like working with it and the knitting symbols font. I moved my pattern over to Excel and gave it a try and I like it a lot. There's much more control over the output.

There's another set of fonts available here. The main difference I see between this one and the one I mentioned earlier is that with this one the symbols already have squares around them, while with the other one, there are no squares. Also, with the previous one, symbols that span more than one stitch (like cables) are made of single-stitch parts, while the second one has them available in one keystroke.

For my use, I like having the one without the squares around the symbols. I think it works better with Excel. I find it's easier on my eyes to have the symbols in black bold type, while having the squares in dark gray. It helps me to be able to tell the difference between the foreground and the background.

The one with squares would be ideal for a word processor. You wouldn't have to worry about setting up tables or anything, but could just type in the chart.
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  05:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
Hi Kristin, I have refrained from answering, but finally changed my mind.

Yes, I have S&MM and really like it.

Another one to look at, if you do cables: http://knitting.about.com/library/weekly/aa071298.htm

I don't have that program, but am seriously thinking of buying it!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

styledbykristin
Gabber Extraordinaire

391 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  05:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit styledbykristin's Homepage Send styledbykristin a Private Message
What a coincidence. When I logged on this morning, it was to search for this topic to find the link to the free software again. I downloaded it and have used it quite successfully to make charts for my patterns. I wanted to find the link again because my web developer thought that his computer should have the font, too, in order for the final layout of the patterns to go smoothly.
When I logged on, I found this to be in the active topics. How convenient. Deni, thanks for the second recommdations. I will probably find a use for that one, too. However, I am really pleased with the first one, too. It was really easy to use. I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks again for all the contribution, everyone.

Best regards,

Kristin

www.styledbykristin.com

Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  12:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
the link to the knitting universe font....
I am trying to use it but I must be totally insane as all I am getting is jibberish
( I do not want to hand chart something.....)
ok I tried installing it to my font folder but it doesn't show up
what am I doing wrong????
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?