Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 Friendship Love Sweater?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jewles
Chatty Knitter

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  10:36:50 AM  Show Profile Send Jewles a Private Message
My problem with baby afghans is finishing them in a reasonable time frame. I am currently working on one for a friend who's baby is now 5 months old - the advantage is that he and his wife don't know I am making it for them.
Last year I finally finished an afghan I started for my nephew (he turned 5 after I finished the afghan). I decided it was way too late to give it to him, so I donated it to a student at my children's school who was making and collecting afghans for Project Linus.
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  11:47:39 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message
I just made an afghan from leftover yarns for a "we-dont-know-yet-where-we're-headed" kind of friend. He asked for one and definitely appreciates it! The colors, the patterns, the softness and texture, and the time and effort it took. He showed it to his buddies, happy-as-a-lil' boy, "Look what I got!!"
So, even if The Curse hits, I enjoyed making it, I reduced my stash, and the reactions I got from him and others were great for my ego.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  11:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I guess I've been lucky with baby blankets...I've generally found out about the pregnancies with at least six months left until the birth, so I've not had a problem getting them done in time. Of course, at the time, they were usually my ONLY projects at the time, too, so that might affect things

FO: scalloped baby blanket, "Cleo" halter top
WIPs: Winter Night Afghan, Knitted Stripes Afghan, Homespun Diamond Lace Shawl
USO: Catch the Wave Afghan, Checkerboard Afghan, Waikiki T-Strap Tank
Go to Top of Page

Kimberling
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  8:16:43 PM  Show Profile Send Kimberling a Private Message
Beautyoftradition - let us know how the project turns out. In my experience (having been dumped once over a love scarf) someone who is a true friend or for them because you care for them. If your friend spend hours making, say a media stand, for you - wouldn't you be touched and awed and thrilled? Friends of the heart are few and far between - and what a wonderful, generous thing to do. Post again and let us know how it turns out. Good luck to you.

Kimberling
Go to Top of Page

scubagirl1966
Chatty Knitter

105 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  09:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit scubagirl1966's Homepage Send scubagirl1966 a Private Message
Well ... I hope it`s a not curse !! .. My best friend is my room mate and after much debate I have decided to embark on an Aran sweater for him for Christmas. It took about 2 months to find just the right pattern - but I did notice that here in the US ( well NYC at least ) there seem be little choice in the way of patterns for mens sweaters ! ... Fall out from the boyfriend sweater curse I wonder ??? ... I ended up calling the lovely if somewhat scatty lady who runs the yarn store near my parents home in the UK - bless her - she can still translate my ramblings into the exact pattern I had in mind and mailed it to me. Now I just have to wait for the wool to arrive - any day now !!!

My room mate is of Irish descent - which is why I settled on the Aran - that and I like knitting Arans and he`ll look really good in it !

I think if you give a hand knitted gift with love and no expectations it will be recieved that way. I think knitting for someone is wonderful gift
Go to Top of Page

Babzknitz
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  09:27:20 AM  Show Profile Send Babzknitz a Private Message
Don't feel bad. I knit my husband of 25 years 3 sweaters. I even knit in a strand of my hair (another wives tale) and We divorced five years later.
The good thing is - I kept the sweaters.
Babz the lone knitter[meow]
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  11:48:17 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message
[quote I even knit in a strand of my hair
That happens involuntarily with all my projects, I think.[:00] I have long hair and I'm a messy home maker - prefer knitting to vacuuming ANY TIME - so it's all over the place and gets picked up with the yarn as I work.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?