Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Shawls, Scarves, Ponchos
 Breast Cancer scarf/shawl?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jemma
Chatty Knitter

134 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  1:30:25 PM  Show Profile Send Jemma a Private Message
I want to make a soft, comfy scarf-shawl-breast cancer awareness-something for a friend newly diagnosed. If anyone can suggest the perfect pattern and/or yarn to use for this, Iíll really appreciate your advice! Thanks so much.

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  1:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
This pattern is great. You could take the ribbon motif and run it up the middle of a scarf instead of making the socks.

http://www.lloydknitting.com/pink_ribbons_sock.htm

If she is going to have chemo you could make a hat like the one in this Knitty mini issue (I personally think the boobie scarf is a bit much for most people).

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTsurpriseintro.html

Warm wishes of healing to your friend,

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2608 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  1:59:26 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
Although this was posted in response to 9/11/01, I always thought it would make a thoughtful and lovely scarf to remind a friend in need that she is being remembered. I picture it in a super soft alpaca or cashmere blend, in any soft color.

(See the first scarf shown at the top, called "Carolyn's Hearts and Rosebuds".)
http://www.burri.com/CrisisKnitting.html#col2

Also, as for "Shedir" cap from the knitty referenced above: I have made 2 of these for friends undergoing chemo. Both turned out well and have been graciously received (and worn.)

Best wishes to your friend.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Buckeyeknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

364 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  4:13:11 PM  Show Profile Send Buckeyeknitter a Private Message
I cannot believe how many people I know who have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I agree with anderknit that the booby scarf is a bit much but I have made the scarf with the heart motif included in Knitty and it turned out beautifully (although not too sure how that relates to breast cancer) Thank you Jayme for the ribbon motif - I love that and will make some of those in some pink cascade that I have had.

Pam
Go to Top of Page

typingN
Chatty Knitter

145 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  5:48:21 PM  Show Profile Send typingN a Private Message
I just finished the Plain Vanilla Shawl that is a free pattern on the Black Purl website in petal pink Merino Style from Knit Picks. I am presenting it Thursday night to a friend who just had surgery for breast cancer.

I searched all over the internet until I found the pattern that felt right for me. I chose this pattern based on the #3 that is so important in the Shawl Ministry Program of which I am a part.

The finished product is so pretty if I must say so myself.

J
Go to Top of Page

mrknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  2:20:32 PM  Show Profile Send mrknits a Private Message
I made a lovely and very soft scarf for a friend using Knitpicks Crayon. I used the light blue color and it is very soothing and very soft. I used a modified fan and feather stitch.

Miriam
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  2:37:13 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
I'm a breast cancer survivor and I personally find the booby scarf offensive, but that's JMHO. I don't think you need to do anything specifically for breast cancer. People with breast cancer don't need "awareness" things or pink ribbon things; we're pretty much aware without wearing it!

Just make her something you know she'll like in whatever colour and pattern you choose. Give it to her with love, prayers, and hope...that's what really matters.

Mari

Don't confuse knowledge with wisdom. With one you make a living, with the other you make a life.
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  07:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Aren't the ribbons to help make other people aware?

Breast and ovarian cancer run very strongly in my family. For me I don't think of it as an if I will have it but when. I wear a ribbon on my jacket not to remind me but to remind others.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

knittingdiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

394 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  08:13:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingdiva's Homepage Send knittingdiva a Private Message
I made the boobie scarf in a different color (the look less like boobies when they're blue or purple), and it turned out pretty well. I think all depends on the individual's personality. :)

And thanks for re-posting those links - always great to keep at hand. :)

sometimesatypical.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  09:48:31 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message
I agree with Mari. Just get some of the loveliest yarn you can afford, like a cashmere blend or silk and alpaca, in a pretty color and knit it up in a lace pattern (lots in this forum). She'll appreciate your thoughts and support.
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  10:53:58 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Jayme, awareness is to remind others, but when I saw all of the pink-ribbon things people gave me when I was first diagnosed, I wanted to just shove them in a drawer and never look at them again. It was just too much for me. A very dear friend just lost her partner of 25 years to breast cancer. She doesn't want to see anything that has to do with breast cancer awareness...she's aware enough.

Sometimes, these things hit too close to home. If you want to wear pink ribbons, that's awesome, but to give something about breast cancer awareness to someone who has breast cancer, I think they just don't need a reminder.

BTW, when I knit shawls and throws for my local cancer center, I avoid pink, unless it's specifically requested. I just make beautiful shawls in beautiful colours so that they warm and comfort someone during the worse time of their life. No agenda, just love.

Mari

Don't confuse knowledge with wisdom. With one you make a living, with the other you make a life.
Go to Top of Page

Jemma
Chatty Knitter

134 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  12:35:49 PM  Show Profile Send Jemma a Private Message
Sincere appreciation, everyone, for sharing your ideas. Youíve given me just the kind of thoughtful responses I was hoping for. The knitting suggestions are uniquely lovely, and show much love and caring. Thatís the most important thing here. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

jora1
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  4:16:40 PM  Show Profile Send jora1 a Private Message
yes Jemma,sure i want to give suggation to you about breast cancer.
Breast cancer or any type of cancer are dangerous in human life because cancer patients have not got accurate treatment.you knows that how to treatment breast cancer...surgery,radiation therapy,Herceptin,Hormonal Therapy.if you want to more information about cancer Carboplatin Information.you also collect side effects of cancer .
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  6:23:28 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
I also agree with Mari. I give BC awareness things to my friends who are survivors, but I acatually wouldn't consider it for someone currently going through BC. I feel that would be a bit too "in your face". If I had BC, I'm fairly certain that at the time, I would not be flaunting BC awareness items. However, once I beat it, I would flaunt them gleefully. I wear BC awareness things because BC research funding is one of the charities I've chosen to support and I want to share that info with others. To me, that's the point of the awareness things more than anything else. So, I would suggest just a soft cuddly scarf in any color OTHER than pink, unless of course Pink is your friend's favorite color. I'd definitely stay away from doing the ribbon motif though, even if you do use pink yarn for the scarf.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe