Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning with Spindles
 Spinning on the road
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  06:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
We went to the Smoke Out Chopper rally in North Carolina last week. Rented some cabins at a campground on a lake. The bike event started on Friday so we just hung around the cabins Thursday when we arrived.

We split the drive into two days stopping Wednesday evening. I’m an early riser and since we had 6 people in the room with us I snuck out when I awoke. They had coffee in the office and I grabbed a cup along with an apple. On the tail gate of my pick up I spun with my Golding, drank coffee and listened to jazz, I plugged my MP3 player into a little battery powered “Pig Nose” guitar amplifier.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/384812904/384812904AdJNZT

Sitting around the campfire latter that same day I had a chance to knit for a while. I was working on the drop spindle sweater.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/384810071/384810071KHvDVI Fred is the guy sitting next to me.

When I got home I was surprised to find that I had only spent about $200.00 in cash and half of that was for a cedar chest a woman was selling at the flea market. I got it to store my roving in and keep it next to my wheels.

Mike

purlwise
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  11:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlwise's Homepage Send purlwise a Private Message
Mike,

Thanks for sharing this experience. I enjoyed looking at your pictures. It's so interesting to see how spinners and knitters are able incorporate various hobbies. Knitting & spinning also fits well with my other hobbies; hiking and travel.

Your needle quiver is fabulous. Did you make it?

Regards,
Melinda
www.purlwise.com
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  03:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
"Your needle quiver is fabulous. Did you make it?"

Yes, I used the basic technique that is used for pine needle basketry.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  04:52:34 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Nice inkle loom!...and yes, that needle quiver is especially nice.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

llamafiber4
Chatty Knitter

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  10:46:39 PM  Show Profile Send llamafiber4 a Private Message
Mike, justlove your pics, and your work is excellant.I had no idea a guy could make such dainty things, like the shawl. LOL Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work. I also like your inkle loom. we just bought one haven't been able to use it yet. but can't wait to. Do you use your handspun yarn on it? and did you make the dpns?

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  04:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I haven't woven any of my home spun yet. I've been working towards getting it softer rather than harder. I have a very fine yarn on the Schacht and a little bulkier on the Country Craftsman, for a few projects I want to do in the future. I want to try another lace shawl with my homespun if I can get it consistant and thin enough.

Yes I made the DPs and the other wood needles. This weekend I spun some, worked a bit on another motorcycle seat and started a leather purse that will be covered in western floral tooling and hand stitched. I spent some time on this purse drawing out the pattern for the side gussets, cutting out the leather and transfering the pattern to the pieces. After tooling I will line all the pieces then assemble. It should be pretty cool, of course I will post pictures when its finished.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

tribalfyber
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  05:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit tribalfyber's Homepage Send tribalfyber a Private Message
mike....loved the pics....will you marry me?

sorry! couldn't help myself! i am a buckskinner myself, loved the rondy pics. never made it to any in the southeast, but my son is living in florida now, so i may hit that area next year.

thanks for sharing the pics, you are way talented!

i childproofed my house, but they still get in....
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  06:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Yeah usually the last full week of Jan. is when the Alifia River Rendezvous takes place.

I guess you've run into Carol Leigh once or twice. She got me started on all this fiber stuff.

Keep yore powder dry :o)

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  11:11:47 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
I always check in on this topic! Mike, "spinning" and "on the road"...two of the greatest topics! A Rom on the Drom (Gypsy man on the Road). Actually I'm a Romni on the Drom, but I like to keep my spindle AND my feet going!
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  5:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Whatta guy! Mike, if you ever travel to San Antone, you gotta look me up! I have a feeling you and yours would be awfully fun to hang around with!

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  04:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I would love to visit San Antone. There are a few leather crafters guild shows in Texas every year and I am at a point in my leather work that I could use a little hands on instruction. Most are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area but I will keep my eyes open.

I was born in San Antonio but I can almost say I've never been there. I was about 4 months old when Dad got transfered to NYC.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RiverRock
Chatty Knitter

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  12:43:13 PM  Show Profile Send RiverRock a Private Message
I didn't see the Rendezvous pics. I was just at Rendezvous yesterday, the White Oak Rendezvous in Deer River Minnesota. I wasn't a participant but finally joined the White Oak Society and will hopefully participate next year. For years I have collected things and bits and pieces for a costume. Years ago they approched me about doing a workshop on wool felt making and paper making.

Mike the pictures I did look at were great. You are one talented guy. I'll go back and look for the Rendezvous pics.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  12:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Well, see, that's sort of a "cosmic circle" - our eldest son was 4 months old when we moved here.

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe