Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Preference-center pull ball or just wind away?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  5:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stitching Fool
but where do you put that DARN hank of yarn while you are winding.

Mr. Aerospace holds it for me.

Or overturn a chair on its side and open the hank over the legs. Or drape the hank open over the back of a chair. Or loosen the screw on a lampshade, drape it open over the shade, and wind away.

A good friend: You knit faster than most women shop.
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  6:40:19 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Atavistic

quote:
but where do you put that DARN hank of yarn while you are winding.

Mr. Aerospace holds it for me.

Or overturn a chair on its side and open the hank over the legs. Or drape the hank open over the back of a chair. Or loosen the screw on a lampshade, drape it open over the shade, and wind away.

A good friend: You knit faster than most women shop.

That's a great tip. I wish I'd thought of that in the days before I bought my swift!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

vwantie@aol.com

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  11:36:27 PM  Show Profile Send vwantie@aol.com a Private Message

How neat to read all the "winding ways".
I just use my thumb, index and middle finger and rotate the ball as needed to keep it round. I really had never considered a different way. I'm sure sooner or later I would have, but now that you have me thinking of it....
I truly enjoy putting my yarn into balls, I love the feel and texture of the yarns and also the repetitive movement. I have not done a center pull (however, I'm inclined now to try the thumb method!) I luckily found one of those cylinder knitting "carriages" with a lid with a hole in it, and thus center pull is not necessary. I found it in an antique store, I really like it. I have seen other ways similar to it and the ziplocs. One of my favorites for @ home use---a teapot(just plop the ball in and thread the yarn through the lid or spout. And you can get real creative with 2-liter pop bottles or coffee cans, etc. It's fun to decorate them! And like I said, the same thing applies, no center pull so necessary and the yarn stays clean and the cats cant get to it.
Although I am now wondering what those actual $winders$ look and feel like.
Oh yeah, kids enjoy it a lot too---and it keeps them busy while I'm stitching.....my niece really likes to roll them, because she isn't quite ready (5 yrs.old) to crochet or knit.
Go to Top of Page

witchyknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  05:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit witchyknits's Homepage Send witchyknits a Private Message
WOW!!! I can't believe how many creative ideas you've all been generating! I have to say, I was very excited to get my KR newsletter and see this thread listed!! WoooHoooo!!!

~ Sharon the knittin' fool in PA
~ http://knittinfool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

verp0349@citlink.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  05:43:00 AM  Show Profile Send verp0349@citlink.net a Private Message
When I need to wind yarn (my most hated task), I use my electric mixer, with an empty toilet tissue tube stuck over the beater. You can see directions (along with pictures) for the process at my website.
http://geocities.com/mama_bear_007/
Once you're on my homepage, click on Cool Tips & Hints, then click on Yarn Winder. After I wind my yarn, I knit from the tube "cone."

--
Vicky
http://www.geocities.com/mama_bear_007/
Go to Top of Page

verp0349@citlink.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  06:03:08 AM  Show Profile Send verp0349@citlink.net a Private Message
quote:
but, people, the hanks, the hanks, what to do with the dreadful hanks??
Marie

I drape my hanks over two kitchen chairs slid back-to-back. There's a picture of this on my website, the the page that shows how to turn your kitchen mixer into a yarn winder. I bought a swift on eBay, and using the backs of my chairs works better for me.
--
Vicky
http://www.geocities.com/mama_bear_007/
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  5:09:49 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
I just tried that thumb method for the first time, Fran, and it worked quite well. I forgot to do it loosely at the beginning, though, and almost cut off my circulation.

Wendy [meow]
Go to Top of Page

witchyknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  7:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit witchyknits's Homepage Send witchyknits a Private Message
Wendy!!! ER visits are not a good excuse to get extra knitting time in! LOL!

~ Sharon the knittin' fool in PA
~ http://knittinfool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jel50@sbcglobal.net

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  05:24:33 AM  Show Profile Send jel50@sbcglobal.net a Private Message
I have a wonderful tool called a "dibble". It's a polished wooden stick (about thumb thick)with a slit in one end. The yarn is wrapped just like thumb yarn, but has the additional gift of allowing you to put it down before you're finished (and not cut off your thumb). Besides, it's just a cool thing to do!
Jamie
Go to Top of Page

Artzygurl84
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  10:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Artzygurl84 a Yahoo! Message Send Artzygurl84 a Private Message
well i found a site that might make it easyer and cheaper for a winder. All you need to do it go to a thrift store and buy and old counter top mixer and follow the instuctions on this site http://knitting.about.com/library/weekly/aa010603.htm
Go to Top of Page

Artzygurl84
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  10:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Artzygurl84 a Yahoo! Message Send Artzygurl84 a Private Message
whats this frans method ive never heard of it before??
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?