Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Preference-center pull ball or just wind away?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rhys
Chatty Knitter

138 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  07:25:01 AM  Show Profile Send rhys a Private Message
Sorta on topic.......instead of using a ziplock bag, I use an empty kleenex box for my yard. I like the flat bottom and the plastic where the kleenex/yarn emerges puts a bit of tension on the yarn. I keep a square box around and the more traditional rectangle box.
Go to Top of Page

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  08:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
I have used the thumb method up to now, but honestly I get bored very quickly and I hate doing it that way. So last night I went out to joann.com and they have a promo code right on the website (without having to sign up for email) for 40% off any one item. I should have my yarn ball winder by this time next week.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  10:59:54 AM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
rhys, I love that Kleenex box idea. I'll have to keep that in mind!!! I do use a lot of ziplock baggies, especially for slippery yarns like Microspun that just don't want to stay in ball form!

I'm definitely a center-pull kind of girl, but near the end, I always seem to get some tangles... oh well... not a big deal!

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

witchyknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  8:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit witchyknits's Homepage Send witchyknits a Private Message
Okay, now the question is... swift or winder or both???

~ Sharon the knittin' fool in PA
~ http://knittinfool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  02:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Both! I think that if knitting is something you plan to be doing for a long time to come it's worth the initial investment. If I were just starting out I'd gladly give up a few impulse yarn purchases in order to have a swift and winder. To me, they're as important as my needles!

Jane

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." Denis Diderot

Blog-like thing: http://notplainjane.blogspot.com/
Photos: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  06:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
What exactly is a swift? I've seen that term quite a bit on the knitting forums but it's not something I'm familiar with.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

knitknat1021
Warming Up

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  10:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitknat1021's Homepage Send knitknat1021 a Private Message
I normally use a outside pull ball and I use a cheap shoebox size plastic container and punch a hole in it and thread the yarn through and when I want to store the project I just open the lid and insert my project. The yarn is held from pulling out when you close the lid on the project.

Katie C.
http://katiesknitknat.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  10:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
A swift is pointless if you have a man (or woman) who likes to lounge on the couch and chat while you use his hands as your swift.

I don't use a thumb method, I just wind a center-pull loosely (holding the whole ball with my thumb and all four finers) and wind away. I end up with more of a cube than a ball, which is fantastic because it doesn't bounce around.

Two dogs and a cat. Bouncing yarn is a very bad thing...

Amanda

A good friend: You knit faster than most women shop.
Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  12:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message
I noticed Joann's had a swift and a winder online. I almost ordered but stopped. I'm moving in a few months and I may as well wait until AFTER I move. Two less things to pack then!! But I too love the look of a newly wound ball of yarn. It's so nice and neat and tidy!! and SQUEEZABLE!
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  2:14:58 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
I wind my yarns with a ball winder. I found something at a hardware store that I like to hold small balls of loose yarn. It's a clear plastic cylinder with rubber ends. One end has small holes with a slit across, like those oval rubber change purses that you squeeze to open. I have a smaller one for stitch holders and miscellaneous doo-dads.
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  05:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
Lucky for me, my sister LOVES winding yarn! So, she makes all my yarn into these neat center pull discs - they are not ball shaped, but more flat and almost oval - they even stack! So, it's great for storing the yarn before I use it and they look really neat! (she winds it on a toilet paper tube)

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

evolved_yarn
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  07:07:31 AM  Show Profile Send evolved_yarn a Private Message
KnittingHelp.com has a video of "How to Wind a Center-Pull Ball", that looks like the thumb method, if you are having trouble getting your head around it like I was LOL!! http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php
Hope this helps!!
Kathy

My blog:
http://evolvedyarn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knitting sock monkey
Chatty Knitter

218 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  07:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitting sock monkey's Homepage Send knitting sock monkey a Private Message
I was given a ball winder and swift for xmas last year and it could be the best knitting gift I've ever received. The swift was made for me by a friend, it's a simple design but works perfectly. I can wind a ball of wool in less than a minute! It was great when I started working on a bulky wool afghan and had three balls of wool worked together at a time. If I had wound them by hand I would have had a huge tangled mess (I just can't figure out how to do a center pull by hand). Next time I have a skein to wind I'll post a picture of the aparatus on my blog. Hmmmm, perhaps that should be motivation to get going on a new project!
Felicity

http://felicitydesigns.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kyrstellaine
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  08:40:26 AM  Show Profile Send Kyrstellaine a Private Message
I prefer my ball winder, but when I've got just a little yarn, I use my thumb to make a center-pull ball the way my grandma taught me. Sounds like about the same method that Fran is describing.
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  08:45:41 AM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
Ok guys,
the pill box, tp roll, and thumb all sound great, but where do you put that DARN hank of yarn while you are winding. I looked into getting a winder, but you also need the swift, no?? I usually just put the yarn hank around my neck and feed off from that, but you still can get tangling--so frustrating! Usually I stick to buying yarn from stores that will wind for you, but that eliminates online orders.

help!
Marie
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  10:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I learned to do center-pull balls with my thumb and fingers, as Fran does, but now I prefer to use a nostepinne. (pronounced naws-tuh-pin-uh) It's like a little wooden "thumb" that I can turn more easily, so that the winding goes faster. I don't like ball winders at all. I like to take my time and enjoy "feeling up" my yarn as I wind it. If the nostepinne isn't handy or you don't have one, you can also use a large diameter knitting needle.

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page

aefost
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  12:56:25 PM  Show Profile Send aefost a Private Message
I've been meaning to try this but am a bit afraid to. DIY mixer yarn winder

Plus, I only have a handheld mixer, not a freestanding one, so that adds to the difficulty. You can also use a loose lamp shade as a swift, but mine are too dusty to put my yarn on, so I haven't done that either!

Another DIY winder link
Go to Top of Page

AmyB
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  1:53:27 PM  Show Profile Send AmyB a Private Message
I haven't seen the method I use mentioned yet. It's detailed in "Stitch and beach" and it's basically winding it around your thumb and a couple of fingers, after an initial figure-8 around a thumb and forefinger.

Amy

Amy
Go to Top of Page

jpatriciameyer@kpmg.com

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  3:09:00 PM  Show Profile Send jpatriciameyer@kpmg.com a Private Message
I wind a turn or two of yarn around the palm of my hand and then wind the ball around two fingers. This way, the yarn on my palm makes it a center pull ball.

For yarn that does not like to stay in balls, I put the ball in an old knee high that has lost the stretch of the cuff. The knee high will hold almost any size ball and this way the yarn is still very portable, I knit on the train while commuting.
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  5:15:20 PM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
the knee-high idea is genius! but, people, the hanks, the hanks, what to do with the dreadful hanks??

Marie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.