Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Preference-center pull ball or just wind away?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

witchyknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  3:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit witchyknits's Homepage Send witchyknits a Private Message
If you're going to wind your yarn into a ball, is it better to make it a center pull (and HOW do you do that???) or just wrap away and let it roll all over as you knit? Just curious...

~ Sharon the knittin' fool in PA
~ http://knittinfool.blogspot.com

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  3:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I love a nice center-pull ball, wound on my ball winder so it's just right. I don't have the patience to put up with a round ball that's really just an invitation to the cat to meddle in my knitting!

Jane

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." Denis Diderot

My Blog: Not Plain Jane
My Photos: Jane's Pages

Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  3:41:39 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Click on the "site map" and scroll down to "yarn ball handling" in the "tips and hints" section

www.earthheartdesigns.com

...they have great instructions.....sorry I couldn't give a direct link...if I do that, an error page shows.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

witchyknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  4:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit witchyknits's Homepage Send witchyknits a Private Message
Awesome! I've bookmarked the link - thanks so much!

Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  4:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
I know how to do the center pull ball, how to 'wind' it, but I don't have a winder & I always to mine too tightly. So, I wind mine in a regular ball, throw it in a zip lock bag, snip off a corner to thread the yarn thru & go from there; personally, I've found that to be MUCH easier...keeps yarn clean & my kitties don't bother it ... it's a win - win for me

Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  4:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Sharon,
I just adore how nice and neat a ball looks after it is wound on a winder. I'm a bit OCD so everything must look just so.... However, I am too cheap to buy one. Even on sale, upward of $35.00.... Gosh, that's alot of yarn or books that I could buy. So, I either go to my LYS to wind them.. or in a ball myself.. and I also opt for those cheap ziplock baggies..

Dorene

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  5:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message
I prefer a center pull ball. But that is just my preference. I have a swift and winder so makes it easy. Somewhat of an investment but I think it is worth it over time
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  6:15:09 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Meandorene

Sharon,
I just adore how nice and neat a ball looks after it is wound on a winder. I'm a bit OCD so everything must look just so.... However, I am too cheap to buy one. Even on sale, upward of $35.00.... Gosh, that's alot of yarn or books that I could buy. So, I either go to my LYS to wind them.. or in a ball myself.. and I also opt for those cheap ziplock baggies..

Dorene

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." -Unknown

I think you can get one from Joann.com and if you get ot heir email list they will send you online coupons for 40-50% off one item. That's a heck of a deal and worth every penny.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  6:30:01 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
If you have an empty pill bottle, the kind a prescription comes in, just tuck about 3-4" of yarn inside, put on the cap and wind around the bottle till the sides are full and then gradually wind a bit over the bottom. I turn the bottle a tiny bit at a time, in the same direction and wind the yarn on. Just keep the opening so you can pull the bottle out. With a bit of practice, you can wind a center-pull ball that is as neat looking as one from a ball winder. I wind several skeins when sitting in front of the TV, and they are ready to go. Just pull out the pill bottle, open it, and there is your center-pull ball of yarn.
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  7:07:25 PM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message
When I was a little kid, my Great-Aunt Hazel taught my mother and me how to wind a center-pull skein around a toilet paper roll. Slit one end of the roll about an inch or two. Put one end of the yarn into the slit. Start wrapping around the middle of the roll. Continue until you're almost out of yarn. Pull the yarn from the slit and remove the skein from the roll. Squeeze the skein a little bit to fill in the hole in the center, making sure that the end still sticks out. Wrap the last few yards of yarn around the skein, tucking in the end so it doesn't come unraveled.

The only time I roll yarn into a ball is when I have a very small amount that needs to be re-rolled. Otherwise, I get out the toilet paper roll.

If you've got a really large skein of yarn, you can use a paper towel roll, but it gets a little bit unwieldy.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  11:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Meandorene
I am too cheap to buy one. Even on sale, upward of $35.00.... Gosh, that's alot of yarn or books that I could buy.

I completely understand being on a budget for knitting supplies. I found my yarn winder on eBay and paid $31 for it, including shipping. It was the first time I had bought anything on eBay, but the lady I bought it from was very nice, and I really enjoy having the winder, as I HATE winding balls.

On the actual topic of the thread, if I hand-wound the yarn, I'd make an outside-pull ball and just lived with it, but since I've started travelling with my projects, I've found center-pull balls (or skeins) are more convenient. The only thing that I don't like about them is having pile of yarn if you have to frog a row or two instead of being able to neatly wind it back up.

FO: scalloped baby blanket, "Cleo" halter top
WIPs: Winter Night Afghan
USO: Catch the Wave Afghan, Checkerboard Afghan, Waikiki T-Strap Tank
If you could be guaranteed money, wisdom, or love, which would you choose?
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  03:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
quote:
The only thing that I don't like about them is having pile of yarn if you have to frog a row or two instead of being able to neatly wind it back up.

That's when I play a little head game with myself: when I've used up the pile of yarn, I know I'm back on track, back to the point I should have been when I started, where I would have been if I hadn't made the darn mistake! Ha! I showed you, you Knitting, you!

Jane

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." Denis Diderot

Blog-like thing: http://notplainjane.blogspot.com/
Photos: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  10:26:56 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I use the thumb method of winding a ball. It is just like the others except you use your thumb for the other gadjets mentioned. The advantage is that you always have your thumb with you. Hang the end of the yarn down for about 4 to 6 inches (I grab it with my little finger) and then wrap yarn around your thumb loosely for about 12 wraps. Continue wrapping the yarn but now switch to wrapping it on an angle from the bottom of your thumb to the tip. Do about 6 wraps and turn the whole thing on your thumb 1/4 turn, wrap another 6 or so wraps, turn, and keep repeating until all yarn is used up. As you are wrapping, check that the tail end of the yarn is still free on the bottom. And also as you are wrapping, you can do your wraps including a finger or two to keep the yarn loose and soft. When you are finished, wrap around the ball a few times to keep it orderly and you have a center pull ball. Now, when you have frogged something go close to your knitting and start another center pull ball, when you have used up all the loose yarn, stick it in the hole in the first ball and you are ready to go.

fran
Go to Top of Page

crise
Chatty Knitter

337 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  10:51:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit crise's Homepage Send crise a Private Message
Ever since I saw Fran's thumb method a while ago, I've used nothing else. Like she say's its always handy!

Kris

2005 stats: 9 FO, 5 WIP, 6 USO, 1 Frogpond

How is it that my USO & WIP never decrease, no matter how many FO I create?

Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  11:05:22 AM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message
The problem I have with the thumb method is that I tend to wind too tightly. Even when I stick my fingers in and wind around them, it doesn't work very well. Maybe I just got too used to the toilet paper roll and knew I could wind pretty tightly because it would be taken care of in the end.
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  3:42:00 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
Thumb method for me too. Put no stress on the yarn as I wind. Just 6-8 wraps done on a diagonal, then rotate the ball and 6-8 more wraps. This is an excellent way to handle the "yarn vomit" that comes out during the search for the end that's in the middle of the ball. I make my ball out of the yarn vomited, and then stuff it back into the middle of the ball.
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  4:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
If I am winding a whole skein I wind on my winder. I love the way it looks when it has been wound on the winder.
If I am winding up just a little, I use the thumb method.
I almost never wind into justa ball that will roll around these days

celia

My blog is here:
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
I am destashing here:
http://celias-basket.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

witchyknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  5:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit witchyknits's Homepage Send witchyknits a Private Message
WOW!!! I had no idea there were so many methods for winding yarn! I am somewhat confused whith the thumb thing though - when you say "turn it", do you mean change the angle of your thumb or take the yarn off your thumb change directions in the winding? I can't seem to picture it...

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  8:40:47 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
You grab the whole wad of yarn and turn it on your thumb by giving it a twist. It changes the angle of the next wrap. That's why you have to start by wrapping the yarn loosely around your thumb so that you can turn it easily. Picture this: Make a figure 8 or butterfly wrap (wrap yarn between your thumb and index finger in a figer 8 pattern) Lift that butterfly off your fingers, fold it in half and hold it next to your thumb. Now wrap yarn around your thumb loosely. You have a wrap of yarn around your thumb and a lump of yarn on the palm side of the thumb. Make 5 to 10 diagonal wraps and turn the yarn on your thumb. Now that wad of yarn is on one side of the thumb. Make 5 or 10 wraps again and turn the whole thing again. Now the wad of yarn is on the back of the thumb, 5 to 10 wraps again, turn again and the wad is back to the palm side of the thumb. Just keep on going until you run out of yarn. As to how many wraps to make, it doesn't really matter. I find I can make more with thinner yarn and less with bulky.

For those of you with OCD, you can place each wrap of yarn right next to each other perfectly and get an identical ball to one made by a winder.

Once I have my ball of yarn started, I wrap around the thumb and 1 or 2 fingers, then pull out the fingers, turn the ball on my thumb and wrap again over the fingers. When finished, your ball of yarn should be soft and squishy. If it is firm, do it over. Overstretched yarn will relax back to its original size after being knit. That is why you can knit to perfect gauge and a day or two later, it doesn't fit.
fran
Go to Top of Page

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  04:17:37 AM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
Fran, you seriously need to put together a book. Not only do you know everything about knitting, you have the gift of being able to explain things clearly and simply. That's worth paying for!

Karen
(throwing away pill bottle and TP roll)
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  07:10:55 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
I use Fran's method, too. I actually really enjoy winding yarn into balls, because it helps me get familiar with that particular yarn. And I really don't like yarn that isn't center pull.

"The past does not equal the future"

The other Fran in Kansas City
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by