Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Explain your answers!
 Whyever Knit in the Dark?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JudyM
Chatty Knitter

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  1:51:12 PM  Show Profile Send JudyM a Private Message
I LOVE looking at my yarn! It's beautiful, and that's why I chose it, brought it home, and eventually found a project that gives me license to keep running it through my fingers and wrapping it around my needles. To me, knitting in the dark so you can watch a movie is like going to the symphony orchestra and putting in earplugs so you can read.

We all have to multi-task to accomplish the necessities of our lives. But when it comes to our pleasures, shouldn't we slow down enough to enjoy fully what we're doing?

knitswithcolors
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  4:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitswithcolors's Homepage Send knitswithcolors a Private Message
I, too, love the colors of knitting, hence my screen name. However, there was one time when I knit in the dark. I was watching a movie with some of my students. We couldn't see the screen well with the lights on, so, in spite of the fact that the only way I could sit through this inane movie was to be able to knit, I allowed them to turn most of the lights off. So I sat and knit by the light of an emergency exit light and the screen. Fair Isle. In light colors. Only had to correct one mistake when I got home. So sometimes knitting in the dark is a necessity for sanity's sake!
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  5:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Yeah, I'm the same - I'm a visual person and though I've been knitting since childhood, I still want to LOOK at it while I do it, I never tire of it and that's a big part of the pleasure. I can knit in low light, sure, and I've done it many times, but I prefer to look at the needles and don't enjoy it as much.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  6:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I have knit in the car while dh is driving, thankfully I can knit something simple like a sock without looking at it
cause I have knit in the dark while he was driving us home and we got caught in traffic
did two inches on 1.5 needles in the dark on the way home!
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  6:53:10 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I knit in the dark because I like to rest my eyes. Like sex, once you've knitted for a while you don't need the lights and can go by feel.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  7:06:57 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
How about---because your vision is fading. Look at the world my way. The eye drops I have to use dim my vision so that everything looks like I am wearing very dark sunglasses. I used to knit with my eyes closed to teach myself how to do it. I don't have to do that anymore.

fran
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

691 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  8:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
JudyM--

It's not like I knit in the dark all the time--it's that I'll knit anywhere that presents the opportunity. And the movie theater represents two hours of uninterrupted knitting time--the phone doesn't ring, nobody asks me questions, I can focus on the film while my hands are occupied with the yarn. Of course, the best knitting times are when I can give my full attention to the work at hand, but those times are few and far between and I take what I can get. The fact that I love movies and I love knitting makes knitting in the dark one of those serendipity combinations like peanut butter and chocolate.

Terri D. in NYC
http://offjumpsjack.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  12:28:55 AM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I didn't answer that poll because I wasn't sure if it meant in total darkness or just in a cinema with dim lighting.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 3 WIPs, 16 FOs
Go to Top of Page

Fraggle
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  09:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fraggle's Homepage Send Fraggle a Private Message
Or if the power goes out, especially at night, you still have something to calm you and entertain you instead of getting frustrated. It may not be your choice to not be able to completley see what your doing but you are better off than those whose only form of entertainment comes from electronic means.

~ Fraggle

". . . Or if you send me your size I'll knit you a new one" -Hawkeye on M*A*S*H

I'm starting fresh:
http://yarnonymous.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  11:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I'm with Terri. I prefer to knit with the lights on, and I look at my work frequently. When I'm home and knitting, I'm most often watching tv with a light on my knitting. I haven't gotten them to let me do that in a theatre yet. I watch the movie, but not the stupid commercials before the previews (the previews are sometimes watched and sometimes not).

It's not as though I'm saying "Time to knit - turn the lights out" it's that I'm saying dim lighting isn't going to stop me!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  4:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I live in a remote area of the US where high school football is 'the' Friday night activity (translation: Friday Night Lights) and it's at least a 2 hour or more trip one way to every football game my son plays in, so, I knit in the dark in the car. It keeps me awake and passes the time, especially on the way home. ~~~~Jamye
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  5:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Lights on!

Dorene

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  08:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message
I haven't tried knitting in the dark yet. I do knit while riding in the car and get quite a bit accomplished that way.

=^..^= Debbie http://calicokitty6.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  07:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I definitely prefer to look at my knitting - I love the color and interplay of the stitches. But like most of us, I have other commitments that sometimes mean I have long stretches of otherwise dull time in low-light conditions. So I pull out my 'travel' knitting project or a drop spindle and fiber and make that dull time productive, happy time. It entertains me and doesn't hurt anyone else. Granted, my now mostly-grown children went through a phase of saying "Oh, Mom!" and rolling their eyes in their early teens, but now they brag to their college friends that their Mother is never bored - or boring!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

JudyM
Chatty Knitter

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  08:27:49 AM  Show Profile Send JudyM a Private Message
Fran, thank you for reminding us that not everyone gets all their first choices, all the time, in knitting. Or in life. I can see now that it would be smart for me to develop the ability to knit better by touch, so as to have it in the toolbox.

And Pamela, LOL - you certainly recreated that famous adolescent phase of "Oh, Mom!" And the eye roll! Does THAT ever bring back the memories!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe