Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 How large?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

menzrob@yahoo.com

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  8:57:42 PM  Show Profile Send menzrob@yahoo.com a Private Message
Stash--what a lovely word! I remember well, 8 years ago when I started knitting again and joined a local guild, I couldn't understand how anyone could knit more than one project at a time and had NO idea what a stash was! Now, I not only have several projects going at one time, as well as a number of UFO's, but have an entire room with 16 bins from floor to ceiling full of yarn. I'm in the process of putting all my yarn, pattern books and needles on a data base. At present I've completed about 40% of my yarn stash and have over 67 yarns (with varying numbers of skeins each). Now I can't imagine what boredom is!

P.S. I absolutely agree regarding Elann and Knit Picks. They are both wonderful!
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  9:47:34 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I have approximately 200-300 skeins/balls of yarn!!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  04:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
Let's see, I haev about 9 bins full that have about 9-11 skeins in each - plus some stragglers and 5 bags (cotton ease!)not in bins yet, so I'd say maybe 200 skeins? I have plans for probably 70% of it and really want to not buy until MD S&W next year. I didn't have much of a budget this year and would love to go back with money to spend!

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

TwistedLoops
Warming Up

69 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  04:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit TwistedLoops's Homepage Send TwistedLoops a Private Message
Eek. I inventoried my yarn the other day in Excel(so I could better match it to patterns). I never added the total # together. I did know that it was almost 17 miles of yarn. But, I just checked and it's over 225 skeins. And that doesn't count project leftovers, or some of the misc. yarn that I've inherited.
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  1:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message
I have enough in my stash for 9 sweaters (in plus sizes for myself and some friends), 1 afghan big enough to cover a queen-size bed, 6 scarfs, plus some not planned for yet. I keep it in a cupboard and plastic bins in my craft room. I don't think my DH realizes how much there is. The ceramics and stained glass supplies and set up seem to take up just as much space in the room. I have some yarn bins also in my bedroom closet on the floor.

I had not realized myself how much there is!
That's it--no more buying until it goes down.

I like the list idea and think I will have to use it to shrink my stash. [meow]

=^..^= Debbie
Go to Top of Page

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  2:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
I think I'm somewhere in the 200-300 skein range. I'd have to look at my inventory and add it all up - and I'm not sure I really want to do that. I have plans for most of the yarn - just no idea when those plans just might come to fruition.

My pattern and book library isn't huge though. Just a couple shelves of books and mags and three notebooks for the loose patterns and various printouts. I lucked out last year and bought the majority of cabin fever's patterns for about $100. Plenty of inspiration, just not enough time.

On top of that, I've decided to try my hand a scrapbooking. I thought it would be too much work, but it's pretty fun to have a few pages out on the dining room table and spend a few minutes on them.

StephanieR
Somebody get me something deep-fried and smothered in chocolate! --Fairy Godmother

http://stitchandkvetch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lu
Chatty Knitter

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  4:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lu's Homepage  Send Lu a Yahoo! Message Send Lu a Private Message
I have 352.5 balls/hanks of yarn in my inventory , but I know which closets I shall not open because I would find more.

http://knit4ever.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  6:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
I have enough sock yarn for 60 pairs and then I have about 70 or so skeins of other misc. yarn that doesn't have any certain purpose yet.

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

http://allthingsm.typepad.com/

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kysknitnmom/my_photos

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  9:30:47 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
I don't wanna count...I don't think its that bad though..really, I dont think its that bad. Just have to keep telling myself that. hehe

-Katie
The next generation of knitters
Go to Top of Page

GloriaMc
New Pal

29 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  09:00:20 AM  Show Profile Send GloriaMc a Private Message
KL- I admire your "planning". Have also 'assigned' friends to rid the house of various 'stashes' before my husband discovers them all. (I have visions of my DH sitting with a calculator as my 'toes point toward the ceiling') Was explaining the whole concept of speedy stash removal to my DD- Her response, "You know mom, don't you think people will wonder why all your really close friends never showed up for the visitation?"
Go to Top of Page

anotherbev
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  6:35:16 PM  Show Profile Send anotherbev a Private Message
[crazy]My stash, my stash ..... I am moved by color. When I see something that talks to me, I buy it. I like having a lot of materials on hand because I make purses and accessories, and I like to be able to work spontaneously. I've got the solids in two large plastic bins, light varigateds in a second, dark varigateds in a third, and masses of drawers of eyelash yarns--but I'm very anal, so the eyelash is sorted by color family. The last time I "organized," my husband was afraid he wouldn't have anywhere to sleep that night!!!
Go to Top of Page

irishmomof9
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  06:26:20 AM  Show Profile Send irishmomof9 a Private Message
When we moved from PA to Mobile, AL last August, I gave away 3-4 large trash bags full of yarn, and still had enough stash left to fill 10 large plastic storage containers! We almost couldn't fit it all into the moving van, and my DH suggested we leave some behind!!! Needless to say, some more of our furniture was left behind with our (grown)kids! Can you imagine!

...and may God hold you in the palm of His hand
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  06:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
I thought I was under control having been able to get all of mine under the bed (well most of it apart from the sock yarn drawer) - but today I went and picked up the fruits of my Jo Sharp frenzy at Elann last month - oh dear - didn't realise how much I had - no wonder I was broke - but it is gorgeous.... Cast on for a jumper on the train to work - another one for the WIP pile - more room under the bed!

Jane

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

jpatriciameyer@kpmg.com

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  3:16:55 PM  Show Profile Send jpatriciameyer@kpmg.com a Private Message
My stash is mostly left over yarn, but not all from my projects. I have inherited quite a bit from others. Right now, I probably have enough for 6-8 shawls, 3-5 sweaters, an afghan or two, and lots of baby/doll clothes and blankets. Aside from the "must do" projects for this year, I am seeking to use up a good bit of the stash by knitting for preemies through a local group. Since the clothes and blankets are so small (blanket 13x18 inches for the incubator), they go quickly and can use up yarn easily.
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  09:50:26 AM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
My stash is quite small right now at least. I think I have about 10 skeins. I have a black trash bag full of yucky old yarn I got from some well meaning friends. I think I will take it to the shelter in town. I live in a 5th wheel and have NO storage space what so ever. I have a rule, if something comes in something has to go out. Poor DH has only 1 pair of shoes, and his sock drawer is dwindling down too.
Of course I just ordered 7 skeins for a sweater and 4 skeins for socks. Getting to the point I will have to get rid of some of my shoes.
On second thought, more yarn for me, less tools for him!! Great ides.

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

susanmeyer@msn.com

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  08:37:47 AM  Show Profile Send susanmeyer@msn.com a Private Message
Who has time to count? Let's just say I have the equivalent of a small yarn shop that is still growing. It's not about using it, but rather about the enjoyment I receive when I find the yarn and use it. If it becomes something...so much the better. Keep accumulating, Susan
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  05:59:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Bev...
In regard to the PDA software..
There is program called knitable... They have a downloadable demo for you to play with... I don't have the link... but google it.
I hope this helps.

Dorene

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

soapgirl
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  6:28:40 PM  Show Profile Send soapgirl a Private Message
STASH=TREASURE
for any of you who would like a GREAT pattern to use up leftovers, let me know and I will happily pass it on. I introduced it to my spinning group and we have all done at least two and still knitting/ It's a pattern for a shawl and can use up all types and gauges of fiber/ The added bonus is the finnished shawl is beautiful

she who dies with the largest stash wins!
Go to Top of Page

peskymac
Chatty Knitter

106 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  12:35:40 PM  Show Profile Send peskymac a Private Message
When I first started to knit, if I saw a yarn I'd like I'd buy a skein or two without having anything in mind. I'd say a quarter of my stash is made up of the spare useless skein. And then there's my sock yarn stash. Most of my stash is made up of bags of skeins for use in sweater knitting. I have enough of those to make about 12 sweaters. And then there's my fiber stash, for spinning. All told, I have one bookcase, four large racks, and a large storage bin full of yarn and fiber. It's embarrassing.
Go to Top of Page

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  09:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message
Wow, what interesting responses! I am somewhat above the 90 skeins I counted a few weeks ago, but not much although I have some coming. When I started knitting again (now that's another interesting question - how many people learned to knit and/or crochet as kids then came back to it within the past couple of years? I guess I'll leave that to the people with the Master's theses -- I have my own to worry about!) I did have more than I needed and bought some here and there based on what I liked but I also didn't understand how people could work on more than one project at once. Now I've got, let's see, 2 sweaters, 3 shrugs, a blanket and a tie waiting to be finished, and I could start more at any time!

And I see an Excel spreadsheet in my future!

Elspeth
Silicon Valley, CA
http://ladybug326.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth