Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 How large?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  06:42:11 AM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message
Hi, knitters! My stash is so big that I've started to store yarn in the garage![crazy]

craftymjw

Keep on knittin'!
The more, the merrier!
Go to Top of Page

kzbugg45
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  06:47:25 AM  Show Profile Send kzbugg45 a Private Message
I have enjoyed reading about the "stash question" here. I have expanded mine to completely take over a spare room in my house. I love looking and browsing in my stash. I have already told my husband that if I should die before he does, I want my daughter to take my stash and sell it on eBay and all proceeds are to go to the grands ad we have five. He laughed[:00] and said "That will take care of their college expenses."
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  06:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Kay - too cute!

Dorene

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  07:07:55 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Kay, I too am worried about what DH will think if I drop dead on the floor-I told my friends to get in there fast and get the yarn,needlepoint and beading stashes under beds and in 4 closets. he knows it's bad, but not how bad. My friend said "what do you care-you'll be dead!". I told her I didn't want him to think that he was married to some "sicko"- she said that he probably already knew that.
I'm also going to post this thread at the store so that everyone knows that they are not alone and not to feel guilty. KL
Go to Top of Page

GloriaMc
New Pal

29 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  07:10:48 AM  Show Profile Send GloriaMc a Private Message
Started off with a couple of bins on the spare bedroom floor. That grew to the point where my DH put six tiers of shelving along one of the bedroom's walls. (Think great insulation!) Those filled, I completed the 'cycle' by again filling bins on the floor! But wait!!!! My DD got married last summer and what do you know.....another empty bedroom!!!!! Do some knitters get lucky or what???!!!! My rational.....what if I never see that color....weight....pattern....again????? You just know that will be exactly that color/weight/pattern your mind can't let go of until you work it!!! Might as well just give in.
Go to Top of Page

tvsglass
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  07:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit tvsglass's Homepage Send tvsglass a Private Message
I have a dozen or so projects ready with yarn...and I still look lovingly at new yarn possiblities. But what really bugs me is the number of unfinished sweaters I have almost finished, but have difficulty picking up again. Within a week or two I could have at least three sweaters done. Go figure. I keep starting a new project...now it's baby sweaters. I love the new Amy Bahrt book, "Creature Comforts". I've made Dairy Land and am working on All Aboard. What fun. My new grandson is going to look smashing!

Terrie
www.tvsglass.com

Check out my buttons at
www.tvsglass.coom
Go to Top of Page

nhnellybell
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  07:54:34 AM  Show Profile Send nhnellybell a Private Message
I've lost count!! I have 30+ bins of all kinds of yarns and call it my yarn IRA. One day when I finally retire I know I won't be able to afford all that scrumptious fiber so I'm stocking up now. It's so much fun to see a new pattern and then go shopping in my own stash! Thank goodness I have an understanding hubby! [img][/img]
Go to Top of Page

sweetbaker57@yahoo.com
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  08:01:16 AM  Show Profile Send sweetbaker57@yahoo.com a Private Message
I have been knitting actively since January and I have collected probably over 100 balls of yarn. A bunch of it came from a lady at work whom I made a scarf for and when she went home, her landlady saw it and sent back a couple of boxes of yarn to give to me. Apparently, she used to knit and had been cleaning out her shed and had already given her mom a bunch and had some left to do something with. In the stash, there were about 20 balls of a royal blue kid wool/mohair blend. It's really brite so, I have to decide what the best use for it would be. Anyway, I definately have the yarn stash disease and look at it this way. If we ever go into a permanent freeze due to global warming here in California, I will be able to make scarves, hats, afghans and sweaters to keep myself warm! My grown daugther and her friends say it looks like a yarn store in my craft/sewing room.
Go to Top of Page

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  08:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message
Wow! I knew my stash was in the mid-range but now it may be on the smaller side! It sure seems like a lot when half the time I don't have yarn dedicated to specific projects.

My DH did say that now I've gone from lumping yarn into the "clothing" section of our finances that it now has its own section

Elspeth

http://ladybug326.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GrandmaHatter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  09:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrandmaHatter's Homepage Send GrandmaHatter a Private Message
I keep a stash list on my PDA- currently it is 12 items long, which means that I have yarn for 12 projects. Two of the projects are on the needles now, though- I am not allowed to remove the yarn from the list until the project is finished being knitted! I have an idea of what I am going to make from almost all of the yarn on my list- 4 sweaters, 1 shrug, 1 moebius, 1 baby sweater, 1 handbag... that ought to keep me busy at least through the fall! When I get bored with my current project, I love to look at my stash list and imagine the possibilities, since I really love all of the yarn on it.

I also have a sweater re-do list that is four items long...
Kristin

www.kristingoedert.com
Go to Top of Page

my6cats
New Pal

35 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  09:32:36 AM  Show Profile Send my6cats a Private Message
Well, after reading everyone's posts, I'm not quite as "over-stashed" as I thought! I have 8 large plastic bins, plus about 10 projects in the closet, plus a very large basket of sock yarn (my current passion) and a couple of dresser drawers full!!! I keep telling my very supportive DH that I need to buy now while I can afford it so that I will have plenty to occupy me when we retire! What I really need is more time to knit, then my stash wouldn't seem so bad.[meow]
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  09:39:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
Kristin...Thank you, u gave me a wonderful idea!! I, too, have a project list, but mine is just typed up & on my stash 'door' and in my notebook. I am going to transfer to my pda...thanks again. Okay, before I discovered knitpicks I had (and still do) approx. 25 skeins of various 'generic' yarn. Now, at last count, I have 80 skeins; each & every one for a specific project. And I have I think I only have about 6 or 8 balls of sock yarn that is not knitpicks. I buy yarn for projects only; then when the project is completed...it is crossed off of my list (needs updating). Now...I have no idea what I'm going to do with my 'generic' yarn...I'm thinking Goodwill. Gosh...my stash is really small compared to most of you guys. My stash, is like my knitting...I can only knit 1 project at the time; and I only buy yarn for a specific project...my project list just continues to grow... and grow and the 'future' project list that I carry around in my head & the yarn that goes with it is indeed.....very, very large...!!

Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

Knitwit4r
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  09:53:00 AM  Show Profile Send Knitwit4r a Private Message
Well...I am also crocheter and a machine knitter (5 machines) and I probably have most of you beat. I have at least 40 cases of yarn in my garage and a seven foot wide closet filled, plus some in the guest room closets. Probably over "1000" pounds total.
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  10:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I could fill a bathtub or two I have a friend that has converted her total yardage to miles, the thought of that scares the @#$% out of me!

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  10:21:36 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I have absolutely no idea. I have 2 large rubbermaid bins in my bedroom but they contain half used skeins and no more than 2 skeins of a single color. Nothing in there large enough for a sweater in a single color. I have 2 large boxes of coned yarn that is still in storage and needs to be moved up here along with the rest of the things that didn't get moved yet. That's the yarn I wish I had here.....so I just bought 40 skeins of yarn on Ebay in order to get enough for Christmas knitting. Six skeins arrived today ($10)and I am so impressed with my shopping ability....brag, brag, brag. It looks like a multi colored Christmas.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Dom2
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  11:19:11 AM  Show Profile Send Dom2 a Private Message
Kids are gone, no husband to hide my addiction from, so every closet is full of yarn! I gave away achina so the bottom of my china hutch is now full of scarf and sock yarns. Garage has bins with single skeins or leftovers from projects that I can't bear to part with - although I have been donating yarn to a neighbor sho knits a lot for charity. I keep yarn inventory on index cards with a sample, quantity, guage, etc. and spend many happy hours with my inventory cards going through my pattern stash and planning projects. But (this is the scary part of addiction) I still can't pass up gorgeous yarn or a great sale! Have to accept that there are a lot worse habits than stashing yarn and I truly enjoy my illness.
Rita
Bay Area, CA
Go to Top of Page

comfybev
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  11:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit comfybev's Homepage  Send comfybev a Yahoo! Message Send comfybev a Private Message
Wow, you have it on your PDA. It had not occurred to me to do that, though I use my Palm Pilot religiously.

quote:
Originally posted by GrandmaHatter

I keep a stash list on my PDA- currently it is 12 items long, which means that I have yarn for 12 projects.
Kristin

Do you just keep it in a note file or do you use special database software? If so, which one? Do you know of other knitting/craft pda applications?

Maybe I should start a separate thread on this.

Take care, Bev
OTN: "Inca Pattern Scarf", Socks for DH, Practice short row socks
http://bwdiaz.blogs.com/comfybev/
Go to Top of Page

zeiglerd_98@yahoo.com

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  4:43:06 PM  Show Profile Send zeiglerd_98@yahoo.com a Private Message
90 skeins? I aspire to reduce my stash to 90 skeins. That's what happens when one's lust for new yarns exceeds one's available time (or life expectancy)!
Go to Top of Page

absolutviolin@yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  4:45:03 PM  Show Profile Send absolutviolin@yahoo.com a Private Message
I guess my stash has climbed up to somewhere between 60-70 skeins. [blush]

I always buy yarn with a certain project in mind, but I'm the scatterbrained-type who can only work on one project at a time. Otherwise I'd never get anything done... and meanwhile, more yarn finds its way into the house.[whatever]
Go to Top of Page

CateG
New Pal

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  7:28:42 PM  Show Profile Send CateG a Private Message
Have I gotten out of control?

I now count my stash projects in years, about 10. I'm not yet into sables, so lets pray for no accidents.

Luckily, I'm all away in a wardrobe and bins in the closet. Yes, I still have room for some hanging clothes; but, I prefer sweaters.

One thing I have done is to foist other peoples accumulation back into their closets. We could take a fingering weight silk cami that my Mom had to have as an example. It resides in her closet until I get to that item on my to knit list.

Cate
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.