Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 How large?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  11:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message
I've been curious about just how large peoples stash gets. Mine is about 90 balls and I don't think it is too much, although I don't know what I'm going to do with it and only two or three sets were bought with projects in mind.

How large is your stash? Is it mostly lonely skeins or sets for projects?

Elspeth

http://ladybug326.blogspot.com

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  12:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Let me just say I have more than 90 sock projects.
Most yarn is purchased with a particular project in mind. At best guess I have yarn for about 18 sweaters, 5 scarves, 4 shawls and anything else is just too much to think about. We won't even talk about the fiber.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  12:15:46 PM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message
Mine is currently hovering around 40 skeins, but the majority of those are dedicated to sweaters to be knit as soon as I finish my current projects. If I had my druthers, I'd have no stash at all--only the yarn necessary for the project at hand, as I don't like to have multiple knits on the needles at once.

However, I have been lured by the siren song of yarns like ArtFibers' Houdini ribbon and Chai silk, so I do have a few skeins that were purchased as "souvenir" yarn or simply because they were too beautiful to put back on the shelf.

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  12:49:07 PM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message
I've been told that my stash is way too small I currently have yarn for three shawls, about five pair of socks, and three pairs of mittens. I usually only buy yarn for a specific project, and when I get low of projects, then I buy more. So I guess I'm not a big stasher.

Although Knitpicks is so tempting it may turn me into one yet!

Melissa
Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  3:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Well, I only started knitting in January.... so I have a lot of catching up to do.
I currently have yarn for 6 sweaters, 4 shawls, 1 throw, 6 socks, 3 pocketbooks. As well as yarn, that I have no idea what I will do with![blush]

Dorene

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

knit_cookie
Gabber Extraordinaire

388 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  4:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit knit_cookie's Homepage Send knit_cookie a Private Message
Mine is actually getting depressingly large. Is that possible? I look at it and am reminded of how I'm never going to get to knit *everything*. I'm destashing right now, and my destash list alone is well over 100 balls. Cripes.

Go to Top of Page

knitswithcolors
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  5:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitswithcolors's Homepage Send knitswithcolors a Private Message
I'm impressed that you know how many balls you have. I don't think I want to know. I do know that I have three very large bins of worsted weight, a bin of chunky, a chest of cotton, two boxes of cascade 220, 3 bags of Jamieson & Smith, a box of Soho Summer that I just got on sale (!)Three dresser drawers dedicated to dk, and a couple of large boxes of misc. acylic. Oh--there are the zip-up bags under the bed, the stuff stuffed in the closet, the basket on the closet shelf and the cheap-o basket of yarn the cat took over for her bed. And I just ordered more Soho Summer in more colors because I like it and its still on sale. Whew!!
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  6:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Mine is one dresser drawer each of yarn, sewing stuff, spinning stuff, and doll-making stuff, plus one large storage bag of fabric.

Ask me again when the kids start leaving home and I have more space. I'm sure I'll find some fiber to fill it with...

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  03:47:37 AM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
I'm not sure how many skeins I have now, but my stash *used* to be 3 huge Rubbermaid totes (the 54 gallon size) full.

I've gotten it down to 1.5 totes full by either selling or trading off the yarns I didn't absolutely love.

Most of my stash isn't for a specific project.

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  05:03:32 AM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
Mine is in 4 18-inch square mesh bins in the top of my closet. When those are full, time for a yarn fast.
I'd say about half of it is for specific projects, another quarter is leftover yarn, and the rest is stuff I couldn't pass up but don't quite know what to do with. Yet.
If only Elann didn't keep coming up with more cool yarns, and don't get me started on Knitpicks....[blush]

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  11:23:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I have over 400 balls.

A good friend: You knit faster than most women shop.
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  11:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
Man do I feel better I probably only have like 60 skeins laying around... not bad...

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  1:30:12 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I have filled 5 large and one medium Rubbermaid bin, a file cabinet, an underbed storage bag and I still have bags sitting around, including the bag in the car that I just bought at a sale.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

jmredman@comcast.net

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  04:03:10 AM  Show Profile Send jmredman@comcast.net a Private Message
I stopped counting at around 300 skeins which are project oriented. I don't buy anything other than knitting needles, etc. Even my pattern book is five inches thick so I don't buy patterns anymore. Now all I have to do is do the work. And oh, by the way, I've also bought one counted cross stitch, crewel work set and needlepoint set just to experiment with.
Go to Top of Page

yuvinia@hotmail.com
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  04:34:45 AM  Show Profile Send yuvinia@hotmail.com a Private Message
Wow, you all sure have a huge stash!I've only started collecting yarn for around 3 months (that's when I started online shopping!). My stash is counting at 70+ skeins, with 12 more coming on my way. Before that I just buy yarn one by one skein from my LYS while I'm knitting a project.
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  05:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Stashes seem to accumulate quickly.
Balls of yarn are like rabbits. Before you know it you have WAY more than you ever thought you would.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

knitting sock monkey
Chatty Knitter

218 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  05:26:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitting sock monkey's Homepage Send knitting sock monkey a Private Message
I have well over 200 balls/skeins in my stash. I have at least 30 that are dedicated to an afghan that I've stuck in the back of a closet. At 24" long it's not going to be the wedding gift I intended it to be (wedding is 4th of July). The rest are either left over from a project, are for a particular project or were gifts. There is a picture somewhere on my blog of a dresser that I lined with cedar and filled with yarn. Its 4 drawers only hold about half of my stash, I should have used a bigger dresser!
Felicity

http://felicitydesigns.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AllisonV
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  05:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit AllisonV's Homepage Send AllisonV a Private Message
Boogie- I wish that the yarn DID breed like rabbits! That would be VERY nice to have a free skin of yarn arrive every few days...

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. -Confucius
Blog: www.simplysockyarn.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

needles54
Chatty Knitter

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  05:47:37 AM  Show Profile Send needles54 a Private Message
i have somewhere over 100 skeins two shelves in my closet have boxes filled with yarns, and at least 4 or 5 baskets and tote bags filled with yarn, I know what will be done with most of it, only about 20 skeins have no purpose as of now. But I am trying to suppress the urge to keep buying, I am in a one bedroom apartment with 2 very full closets and no room for more, unless I use the car, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

"save lives---don't knit and drive"
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  06:06:47 AM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
I have two large under bed cases and a few smaller baskets. I don't know the exact number but it is a lot. It is so much that in the three years I have been knitting, my husband now calls that room my yarn room. Not the guest room it is.[:00]
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  06:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
My 12 x 20 living room was turned into a studio about 12 years ago in order to have space for looms, wheels and supplies. It's lined with shelving and bins I bought from a yarn shop that went out of business. Results of my last inventory (done in March) show slightly less than 600 lbs. of cotton, wool, linen and silk yarns, and approximately 200 lbs. of spinning fibers - mostly wool and alpaca, but also quite a bit of cotton and silk and cashmere.

Needless to say, unless there's a specific project I HAVE to do (like the silk wedding veil I'm working on now), I've decided not to buy any more yarns until I've made a sizeable dent in what I have now. Anybody want to buy some yarn?

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth