Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 TNNA review
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

shear
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  07:36:47 AM  Show Profile Send shear a Private Message
There is a reason that everyone continues,however unsuccessfully,to try and copy Noro's style and work--it sells!My retailer friends who have long been in the yarn industry say that it is worth the long wait because there is nothing else truly like it.The colours are phenomenal,the prices very reasonable,good design support and publicity and luxury fibres galore.The man is a genius.
Go to Top of Page

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  10:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
I think the Paintbax yarn from K1C2 is lovely and it seems that the most popular use for Noro currently is felting and I think it will look similar. I know that Noro sells and that is why I went looking for a replacement. I met other LYSO who were on the same hunt.
He is an absolute genius but if you can't get it you can't get it or if there are business reasons why you wouldn't want to work with a distributor then looking for an alternative is also a good choice. I don't think that Noro can actually be copied because of the way the fiber is fed into the spinner - it takes someone with a high level of skill and I think it is difficult to find enough artisans that can actually do it. I am going to be ordering a yarn that comes directly from the same mill in Japan but doesn't currently have a US distributor.
I wrote directly to Noro (and Debbie Bliss) to tell them why I felt the way I do - without being negative but just describing what I look for in business partners because that is really what you are doing when you choose distributors and such - making a partner for your business.
It's just one of that long stream of endless decisions that go into shaping a business or a life.

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

Sweetstitch
Warming Up

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  09:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sweetstitch's Homepage Send Sweetstitch a Private Message
Good update Umbaba. I was there too. I went to the Interweave Press gathering to meet up with folks and couldn't find anyone. It was fun making an ass out of myself asking everyone in the room if they were with the knitter's review forum! Oh well.

Another great class for those of you considering going in the future was one called "Business Basics." It was a great opportunity to meet other retailers and talk about real issues that face us every day. The teacher, Cynthia Ellner, was a very funny and supportive lady who heads the "Financial Education for Women" foundation. Very cool, indeed.

Go to Top of Page

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  09:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
Sweetstitch - Sorry you didn't ask me I was at the table in front of where they apoke with the microphone with two KR's from North Carolina (are they still lurking???)
We'll meet up sometime, maybe in San Diego.

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

KimberBaldwin
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  04:43:02 AM  Show Profile Send KimberBaldwin a Private Message
This was my first TNNA meeting. (I am a knitting designer that is only a couple months old). So, for me, the meeting was a lot like the best Christmas ever!!! Classes and experts in every technique I could want to learn. Gorgeous never-ending lineup of yarn in every fiber imaginable. Must have bags, needles, and accessories. The whole TNNA was an incredible kaleidoscope of everything inspiring about knitting all under one roof! I will definately be going to another TNNA - who knows...maybe in another year or two I'll get a booth!
Kimber
www.KimberBaldwinDesigns.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by