Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Natural Dyes
 Coffee?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  9:32:57 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Has anyone done this? What I find on the net varies from using leftover grounds to letting sit in sludge for several hours. I am afraid it wouldn't be colorfast. Would you add vinegar to it the way you do with Kool-Aid? I'm talking sock yarn here, BTW, for a caffeine addict who's my best friend.

lemons of missouri

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  09:15:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Coffee is a stain, not a dye, so it will continue to fade until your item is just a yucky browny gray.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

frogsrock
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  05:59:58 AM  Show Profile Send frogsrock a Private Message
um well this isent yarn and didnt get washed or anything but....my grandmom was asked to make a black doll (cotton fabric) for her friends daughter and she had a bunch of cream skin fabric so she took the doll body (already sewn but not stuffed) and left it outside in a pan with lots of tea bags (and water)
the doll turned out great
but like i said i cant tell you how well it aged...
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  10:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I think coffee may dye but you will have to use a mordant like all other natural dyes. I have no experience in this area as I have not got the space in my little kitchen to experiment with this.

celia

My blog is here
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  12:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
I've dyed mordanted superwash wool with coffee (boiled for awhile then the yarn was kept hot in the dye for one hour) and the color was dark and rich and so far lightfast but it hasn't been washed (in an afghan). It was difficult to wash the coffee grounds and smell out. I put it through the washing machine twice after leaving it out in the rain for a couple of rainy days - those days aren't hard to find in Oregon.

I like to have my yarn rinsed by the rain as it leaves it so soft.

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  9:05:21 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
I tried coffee well boiled, cooled and with vinegar and put fleece in but it did not take, just slightly stained in some areas of the fibers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe