Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Explain your answers!
 Knitting & Life Cross Over
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janice Alline
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  6:16:33 PM  Show Profile Send Janice Alline a Private Message
I never really thought about it until Clara had the poll "How do you feel when knitting crosses over into other elements of your life?" This one has really got me pondering.

I began knitting in Sept 03 when I was between jobs (my own choice). When I began my current job, to them I had always knitted. It was just a fact. Jan knits. The company I work for now builds computers & sells them to retailers. The company I used to work for is one of their customers so I have some interaction with my previous co-workers. My old company doesn't know I knit~~well, they know ~~ but it's not part of the Jan they knew so to them Jan doesn't knit. I made the woman who took over my job a scarf~~kind of to show off what I do now .

I guess that how I think about it ~~ my preknitting & post knitting life. Now so much the elements (home - work - other hobbies - family, etc) Since my knitting is such a part & parcel of me now why wouldn't it be in every facet of my life?

Are there folks out there (well, in addiiton to BarryK who was recently outted as knitter at work) who keep their knitting life seperate from . . . .? That there are folks that you know that don't know that you knit??

Jan in Lawrence, KS
"He does the work of 3 men . . .Moe, Larry & Curly"

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  6:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
All sorts of random strangers know I knit. Everyone knows I knit. I show off in lines at the craft store. I "demonstrate" at the park (people will ask what I am doing and I have to show them). It is really a part of me now. But crafts of all sorts have always been a part of me.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Seen on a church marquee: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  7:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
I must say I didn't really understand this poll question so didn't answer it. What say knitting "crosses over" into other elements of your life????
Go to Top of Page

Karen F
Sustaining Member

248 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  10:46:08 AM  Show Profile Send Karen F a Private Message
Glad you said that cause I have no idea what the poll means!!
Karen
Go to Top of Page

Lace Lunatic
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  3:06:06 PM  Show Profile Send Lace Lunatic a Private Message
Like knitz2 and KarenF, I am not sure about the meaning of the poll.

To answer Jan's query. Yes. I have a knitting identity and a non-knitting identity and the two do not meet. There are lots of people who have known me for many years who have no idea that I knit and I am probably not going to bother to enlighten them. The nature of the knitting I do somewhat precludes toting it everywhere for all to see, and I am not particularly comfortable knitting in public anyway. However, this does not mean that knitting and thoughts of knitting are not one of my primary preoccupations. My first thought on awakening is of the early morning knitting I will be doing, just as soon as the coffee has brewed (wish I could get a caffeine IV, so I could skip straight to knitting); and thoughts of knitting color most of my day, even though little or no knitting will occur until after dinner. Maybe that is what Clara meant by knitting "crosses over".

Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  7:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
my life is always involving some sort of craft, mostly knitting or spinning. I think everyone that knows me know i knit- even back when i was really big into comp games people knew i knit!

http://www.midnightskyfibers.com handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits.
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  9:06:22 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I didn't understand the poll question either.

I have knitted for the best part of 30 years (I'm 37) so I don't understand that there is a distinction between "my knitting life and my non-knitting life"; it's just my hobby (read: obsession)!

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 3 WIPs, 15 FOs
Go to Top of Page

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  05:33:10 AM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
I didn't vote either for the same reasons mentioned above. LOL! I'm curious, though, if there are fewer people than usual voting this week, but I can't see the tally without voting...

"In all walks of life, each person has his or her mountain to climb, and set of circumstances to overcome."
--from Jennifer Avalon's essay: Human Frailty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?