Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Stitches?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  7:15:08 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I've never been to a Stitches event. Can someone tell me what they are like and is it worth it? Looking at the brochure I see a few classes I would like. What is the market like?

I'm impressed with the list of instructors - some very well known names.

Anita
My completed projects

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  07:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
I didn't take any classes, just went to the market. It is soooo wonderful! Tons of books, magazines, gadgets, bags, buttons, and of course YARN! I highly recommend going.....I'm already counting down the days!

Lori [img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]

My knitting photos
I'm blogging now!
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  09:49:10 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
If are interested in taking classes at Stitches, I would try finding feedback from people who have taken that specific class or at least a class from that instructor. At the end of the class, there is a feedback form you fill out and either hand or mail back. In general, from what I've read there's pretty much positive feedback. The classes are expensive, especially if you want to take several. If you know what you want early enough, there is discount for those who sign up before a certain date (about 10-12 weeks prior to the event).

Even if you don't take classes, the Market is well worth the price of admission. If you take a class, your entrance to the Market is free. Tons of vendors are on the Market floor and there's just so much offered. You'll be able to see and feel products you might have only seen online. When it gets closer to the event, check out their website and they'll have the Market floor plan and vendor list. That should give you an idea of what will be there.

Keep in mind that the more classes you take, the less time you have to check out the Market (and less Market money). Classes are 3 hours or 6 hours in length. If you only have a limited time for that weekend, you might want to plan accordingly. If you're unsure of the classes, then just go to the Market at the very least.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  11:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
quote:
Even if you don't take classes, the Market is well worth the price of admission. If you take a class, your entrance to the Market is free.

Out of curiosity, what is the admission price and is there a separate admission to the Market?

Barb in MI

"You can't get a hit unless you're swinging."

http://webpages.charter.net/akwolf/
http://www.livejournal.com/users/graniterose/
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  12:36:46 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blr2449

Out of curiosity, what is the admission price and is there a separate admission to the Market?
There is an admission fee to enter the Market. If you are taking a class, then you can go into the Market for free.

The Market admission price is listed for each specific event on the website:

http://www.knittinguniverse.com/flash/events.php

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  12:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I also recommend that you buy your admission ticket to the market online, at the knittinguniverse web site. otherwise you have a long line to stand in.
I have taken lots of Stitches classes. I HIGHLY recommend anything that Margaret Fisher or Maureen Mason-Jamieson are teaching. They are extraordinarily well organized, clear and helpful. I use the basics Margaret Fisher taught me (like sewing seams) on every project and still pull out her hand outs to guide me. Other good class experiences happened in classes taught by Judy Pascale, Ginger Luters and Lucy Neatby. (This does NOT mean I have negative things to say about other teachers -- just that these classes were standout experiences for me.)
I did find it easy to overload myself on courses, so by the last Stitches I attended, I registered for either a morning OR an afternoon class, and spent the other half day at market and/or outdoors.
I guess at this point I would identify myself as an intemrediate/advanced knitter, a lot of that learned (or at least started the learning process) at Stitches classes. Now I see a few classes that might be interesting, but am suffering from sticker shock. As I said in the other Stitches thread, I think I am still paying for past Stitches events!

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
738 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  5:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit CPAknit's Homepage Send CPAknit a Private Message
I have had good experience taking the knitting classes from KU- There's always something new that I learn. So far it's been worth every penny and you meet wonderful people!

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  7:28:08 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Several of the classes I'm interested in are givien at the same time! I'm thinking of taking 3.

First I have to see if I can get off that weekend - I'm supposed to work.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

peskymac
Chatty Knitter

106 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  07:18:26 AM  Show Profile Send peskymac a Private Message
I just registered for two classes on Friday [I might as well get a day off from work out of the deal] -- I'm taking Advanced Finishing and the Art of Knitting Backwards.

Unless something comes up, I'm probably taking the train from AC back to Philadelphia that afternoon after my last class.

This will be my first Stitches, so I'm looking forward to it. I just hope there are some fiber/spinning vendors on hand!

Mac
pesky'apostrophe
http://www.peskyapostrophe.com
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  11:02:26 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
If I take the 3 classes I want it will be all day Friday and then Saturday afternoon. How big is the market? Is it bigger than MDSW? I want to make sure I have enough time. Is the market open on Thursday afternoon? I'll probably go up Thursday morning.

My partner said he thinks he can switch weekends with me. I can't believe I'm doing this.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2345 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  1:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Anita, I can't believe I did it too! I have said that I would probably not go to a Stitches again, but when I saw the brochure with some good dyeing classes, I gave in and registered. I've got one on Friday afternoon and one on Saturday afternoon, so then I went ahead and reserved a room at the Sheraton for Friday night, and got a ticket for the Fashion Show/dinner. I haven't been as much of a shopper at shows lately, so I plan on spending only Saturday morning at the market. I know for me that will be plenty of time, I'll only be looking for great buys (there are always a few) or really unusual things.

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  04:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Thanks for the information. I sent for the Stitches East conference brochure yesterday. I have never attended a conference before and I will be looking forward to this..
Dorene
Go to Top of Page

hkarkanias
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  07:21:25 AM  Show Profile Send hkarkanias a Private Message
I love this conference. It's the only one that I go to each year. This will be my 5th year going (or maybe my 6th - i can't keep track).

These are my favorite teachers: Sally Mellville, Barry Klein, Melissa Leapman, Edie Eckman, and Jean Frost (she teaches Chanel Jacket lining).

I have taken tons of classes, and in fact, I'm taking 5 classes this year.

Try and register early because a lot of the classes get sold out quickly.

Harriet
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  6:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
I went to Stitches West for several years before taking the plunge and signing for classes. Now I wouldn't think of passing that unique opportunity.To the list of teachers above I want to add Maureen Mason-Jamison, Candace Eisner-Strick,and Lily Chin.Most of my classes have been very good.

There is a market preview reserved for students of knitting classes which is a great shopping opportunity: no crowds and you get first dibs on the inventory.Definitely worth attending, too.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  7:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Ooh, I should also add Carole Wulster to my great teachers list. Don't know if she is teaching this year, but I have loved my classes with her. Learned how to make a shawl collar with short rows, how to knit set-in sleeves from the shoulder down right onto the sweater using short rows, and how to cable without a needle in various classes with her.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

eelicats
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  1:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit eelicats's Homepage Send eelicats a Private Message
This will be my 1st year going to any Stitches event. I'm really excited, just wish the hotels were cheaper. I'm all booked into the Holiday Inn on the Boardwalk, has anyone stayed there? Anyone else going alone? At least the trip isn't until September, that gives me 3 months to save for the market! I signed up for 3 classes, but none of the shows. I'm not staying for the entire conference, I'm leaving on Saturday evening.

Happy Knitting!
Staci

www.northernembrace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  7:12:54 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Well, I did it. I signed up for 3 classes. One of the classes I wanted was sold out. I'm taking classes all day Friday (Fair Isle) and Saturday morning. I think that will give me enough time in the market.

Now to decide how to get there. I think I'm just going to drive. It's 3.5 hours, but by the time I mess around with getting to the train station here and everything I might as well drive.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

ninbp
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  06:27:28 AM  Show Profile Send ninbp a Private Message
I cannot figure out how to buy the admission ticket online. I don't think I'll be taking any classes as I procrastinated too long and the ones I want are sold out :-(

Go to Top of Page

karmah
New Pal

40 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  7:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit karmah's Homepage Send karmah a Private Message
Here is the link to the page about Market tickets.

http://www.knittinguniverse.com/xrx/featuresdetail.php?ID=156

K. Anne
http://justcinful.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by