Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning with Spindles
 New to Drop Spindle - Any Advice?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  06:54:33 AM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
Hi,
I finally got sucked in and bought a drop spindle. I already have tons of wonderful roving and wool bats. I had a quicky lesson at a fiber festival, and have been praticing making inadvertent thick and thin yarn at home. It's really fun and my "product" isn't hideous.

That said, I'd love some advice on books, ideas, techniques, whatever for a rookie drop spinster. I could get really hooked here. (o: Thanks, Julie in Ohio

CynthiaW
New Pal

26 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  07:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit CynthiaW's Homepage Send CynthiaW a Private Message
muahaahaa! Another victim has fallen into our evil clutches!
My favorite sources of info for spindle spinning:

Connie Delaney's Spindle Spinning:From Novice to Expert - her website is www.spindling.com
and
www.icanspin.com has great little videos showing different techniques.

And of course - the great people at this forum!

- Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  08:37:15 AM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
THANKS!
Go to Top of Page

kweaver
New Pal

31 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  2:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit kweaver's Homepage Send kweaver a Private Message
I just noticed that Interweave Spin-off Summer 05 has a link to a .pdf with some drop spindling instructions

---------------------------
See what I am up to
Knit this.
Go to Top of Page

carollovesyarn
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  4:28:37 PM  Show Profile Send carollovesyarn a Private Message
Thanks for reminding me to check out Interweave's site!

Carol
Go to Top of Page

isel
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  5:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit isel's Homepage Send isel a Private Message
Great! I almost paid for the magazine just to get that article. I'm glad I didn't. Thank you.

http://www.iselknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  5:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Yay! Someone else! I've only been doing it a few months, and I'm an addict. For me, once I got predrafting, it all came very easily. I'm finally getting a really thin yarn too. Just play with it and have fun!

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Seen on a church marquee: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape.
Go to Top of Page

purlwise
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  6:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlwise's Homepage Send purlwise a Private Message
Last weekend I took a class on plying from a drop spindle from Rita Buchanan (who use to write for Spin-Off). She taught us to use a felt ball to break down the plying process.

To make a 2-ply yarn she had us wrap the felt ball with two singles from separate balls at the same time. Once the felt ball was wrapped, we then plied from it. It works great, since it's easy to focus on one thing at a time, first winding two (or three) singles onto the felt ball and then on plying.

She also said that the felt ball can be used to store a larger amount of spun singles than will fit on your spindle. When your spindle is full transfer it to the felt ball, if there is already wrapped with a single thread yarn then join the single from the spindle to the one on the felt ball before winding on.

To make the felt ball just roll up some roving into a ball and then wind yarn around it. Tuck in the yarn end with a large needle.

Regards,
Melinda
www.purlwise.com
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  03:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Videos! Melba Montgomery. Wonderful tool!

And lots of practice.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  12:14:05 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Julie, Connie Delaney's Booklet and website are awesome. I second those two suggestions, but of course, in a side measure, will check out everything else mentioned here myself. Particularily intriguing is the use of a felt ball. Hmmm..

Best wishes. And the predraft is the key to smooth yarn. It will come with practice. Oh I just want to HUG you!

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]
http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.