Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 knitting around other guys
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  1:16:46 PM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message
I've been knitting for three years, and am still nervous about knitting around other guys. Some of them just stare, others have been jerks, so what can I do? Also, I don't get this whole ultra macho image I keep seeing on tv and the movies. Would someone explain it to me?

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  1:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
I'm nervous to knit around some women because they think it's old fashioned. Guys have made stupid comments to me too.
Is there a knitting group with guys that you could go to or even start? That would be a great way to meet people.
Screw those guys, I know it can be intimidating. There isn't really anything you can do except ignore them. Guys usually want to have the last word or want to start something. Just ignore and give them no words.
Chia

http://munkiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  1:29:24 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
I would try - except I don't get it either...*grin*

I would say I'm probably more nervous knitting around women then I am knitting around men. Chances are much higher that one of the women will know more then I do or be more skilled.

as far as other men go - I could not care less what negative opinions they might have about my knitting - especially if they try to go the "women's work" route - since I can point to countless historical records, paintings, etc that show that men have (until recently) knitted.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  05:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I knit where ever and when ever I want, I also have been known to carry a drop spindle around with me. In all honesty I havenít had much trouble from any one about knitting. Oh, I guess a few of my friends have joked about it a bit but that is to be expected.

Iíve brought my knitting into the motorcycle shop I hang around at, Iíve even knitted a few rows sitting on a mechanics stool while skin fiddled around with a carburetor. The only thing that makes me nervous is all the oil and grease.

I wear my hair long, unshaven, Iím at least 40 lbs over weight, Iím scared and banged up by the road. Iíve ridden the same Harley for 21 years in the Miami area, I was one of the charter members of A.B.A.T.E. of Florida Dade Co. Chapter. I know almost all the custom Chopper builders and Harley dealers in the 3 county area. Iím known to make knives, Iím revered for my custom leather work. Most people who know me know I make my own firearms, musical equipment and reload all my ammunition. Iíve got 3 completely separate groups of friends not counting the knitting guild. Iíve been in Rock and Roll bands and Blues bands since I was 9 years old and for the last 20 years in the Miami area and know hundreds of musicians in this area and across the country, I have many biker friends and acquaintances, a few have become famous on the Discovery Channel for the bikes they build and I have family. On occasion Iíve put these three groups of friends together and we have had a great time. I donít feel that I intimidate people, mostly because I am always being approached by strangers for directions or help. If anyone ever gave me any Sh-t about my knitting two things would be crystal clear to me; one that they are an idiot and two they donít know me and have pretty much blown any chance of knowing me. I am not in the sh-t business I neither give it nor take it. Life is too short to give a damn about what idiots feel I should be doing with my time or my life.

I am the way I am and I look the way I do partially to separate the wheat from the shaft, Iím a grizzly lookiní dude and in seconds of meeting anyone I can pretty much tell, by their response to me, if they are walking the world with compassion and joy or attitude and fear.

Now spinning wool in southern Florida is a different matter entirely for which I may need counseling :o)

Mike
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  05:32:36 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
Mike - spinning wool in southern florida I can see - but if you WEAR it - serious consouling may be needed.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  06:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
Good Response Mike!

http://munkiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

VioletB
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  07:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit VioletB's Homepage Send VioletB a Private Message
I agree! Mike that was a great response!

Violet

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once

http://violetknits.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpfuzz
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  07:57:06 AM  Show Profile Send jpfuzz a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Monkachia
Is there a knitting group with guys that you could go to or even start? That would be a great way to meet people.

Do you folks know about www.menknit.net?

Janet
Go to Top of Page

ladyamythyst69
Gabber Extraordinaire

372 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  08:13:07 AM  Show Profile Send ladyamythyst69 a Private Message
Just knit! Whenever and wherever you want to. Life is too short to worry about what other people will think! :)

http://ontheneedles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

yuvinia@hotmail.com
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  01:51:22 AM  Show Profile Send yuvinia@hotmail.com a Private Message
I agree that it's not exactly a gender thing, more likely generation gap. I visited a LYS with either over friendly or not-so-friendly salesperson and got ignored by all the older knitters there, and I am a girl. While I visit another LYS with younger customers, strangers talk to me often.
I knitted in public at every chance, be it in class, at work, buses or tuition. I've got various responses before, some just nasty, but some was really encouraging. What I love the most is when my friends express their interests and ask me whether I can teach them to knit.
Anyway, I've only came across one male knitter in my life. I did glance at him (okay, I was staring), but that was because I'm interested in a good way, not at all discriminating. After reading all your posts, I realise that I might be misunderstood. Next time I saw another male knitter, I'll surely talk to him.
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  08:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
IMO the macho thing is just an ego thing (esp. amongst teens and young twenties) that shows they dont have the self confidence you do.

Many of my guy friends knit, albeit mostly in classes where other people are knitting as well. People did think it was weird at first, but they got over it faster than they get over ME knititng a lace shawl or socks :)

http://www.midnightskyfibers.com handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits.
Go to Top of Page

TracyKnits
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  10:49:00 AM  Show Profile Send TracyKnits a Private Message
I realize by reading this that the next time I see a man knitting I need to express my admiration. I've only seen one man knitting in the open and I did stare - with delight. But to him it may have just been a stare. Next time, and I hope there is a next time I'll give him a positive comment.
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  3:45:00 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I agree with Chia....Screw 'em!

Most of the guys who say stupid things are just threatened scared little boys anyway. Who cares what they think?!?! Ignore them. I have much more respect for the courage of a real man who doesn't define himself in terms of what a few insecure men think he should be or do.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  4:28:40 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I can give you my take on the ultra macho image of some men. They are actors. Portraying a role because they are not comfortable in their own skin. A real man is just himself and doesn't neet to fall into any category.

fran
Go to Top of Page

kfgardner
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  7:53:13 PM  Show Profile Send kfgardner a Private Message
Don't let others bother you....just keep knitting. I got told just the other day by a coworker how I belong in another time period because I knit during my lunch hour.

Kimberly
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  2:27:37 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
I haven't run across any male knitters, but when I do, I will be sure to say something positive

I may be contributing to the male knitter population this summer with my knitting *tutorial* for three neighborhood boys who are so eager to get started.

Great words, Mike
Go to Top of Page

kanoelani
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  10:04:53 PM  Show Profile Send kanoelani a Private Message
I have found that younger people are more accepting of male knitters. Four young men in my daughter's high school graduating class are knitters. Considering that there were 50 boys who graduated with her...I would say that is a pretty high percentage. I know two of the fellows quite well. Their girlfriends taught them how to knit and they are both VERY artistic. AND...they are both on full ride scholarships for college; one for acting, the other for fine arts.
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  09:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I have to share a story. My 17-year-old son is a rower on our local team. These guys are probably the best athletes I've ever seen, and many of them are honor students. Just nice young men, and nice to have around. About eight of them spent this last Saturday night at our house, planning strategy for the fall and watching movies and eating everything in sight.

About 10:00 pm my son pulled out the hat he's knitting for his girlfriend and started working on it while watching one of the Matrix movies. Ten minutes later I was digging out practice yarn and needles for four of the other young men! They were fascinated by the hats, scarves, mittens and gloves I showed them, but the real hit was my son's 'rowing socks'. Even the guys who weren't interested in learning to knit thought those were great, and hadn't realized that I'd made them for my son. There were absolutely no 'macho' comments about knitting being for girls.

All the beginners from Saturday have been back at the house this week with double-points and worsted-weight wool yarn - we're doing a rowing sock class! Three of the girls on the team have been included. My DH was looking around last night at all the knitters sitting around the dining room table working away. He grinned, then brought his cross-stitch project and Ott lamp upstairs to join us! I haven't had this much fun in months!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  10:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
That sounds like a great evening, actually a couple of great evenings.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

danspun
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  7:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit danspun's Homepage Send danspun a Private Message
I guess I was a bit nervous the first time going "public" with the wool and sticks, but I find that I get pretty into my work and the background noise and people get filtered out. I commute to work via the bus (one of the best transportation decisions I've made - no hassle with traffic, just time to sit back and work on a scarf or a pair of mittens) and with the bus everyone is occupying themselves with something or other and if they pay any attention to me, it's probably out of curiousity... or envy because they didn't think to bring something to work on while riding to work.

Life is too short to be worrying about what other people think of you. If other boys are jerks, well who cares... they are the ones with the problem, not you.

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  10:19:36 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Real men don't worry about what real men do. Having said that, I realize that some ppl are more self-conscious than others, and simply saying "don't be" is too simplistic. So I'll say, try not to be.

Mike, I love the answer you used to give - "It's a condition of my parole". That's bound to shut anyone up.

Barbara

Healthy conservatism promotes the continuity of civilization, the importance
of community, the dangers of thoughtless change. It does not, or should not,
assert the right of white, Christian heterosexual males of a certain age to
limit the rights of everyone else. The past 100 years of social history has
been dedicated, on good days, to constraining the dominance of this
minority. Yesterday was a good day: J.Ibbotson, June 29/05, on the passing of the same-sex marriage bill.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?