Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 What state do your needles get into?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  06:31:06 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
I tend to use 2.25mm and I carry my work everywhere. Consequently they bend and get bent back a lot. Also I like to keep using needles warts and all until they get impratical. For this reason the tips wear and sometimes the coating rubs off but I don't mind this.

Also years ago I inherited my grnadmothers needles and her were similar. She had arthritis though which caused some un-even pressure and gave her an excuse for the ends to be worn.

So must you have perfect needles or do you savour the old friend?

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sabrina_fair1/album?.dir=/7ab3

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  06:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
Hi Sabrina

I have my mother and grandmother's needles as well as ones I have come across in charity shops etc. Although I have invested in a few circulars and wooden needles recently I could never part with my old friends - they represent the connection between me and the people who taught me in the first place. I made a gansey a couple of years ago and completely wrecked several pairs in the process so I know exactly what you mean. I thought that originally ganseys were made on long steel double pointed needles - have you ever tried steel needles?

Jane

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  01:15:54 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
Jane, mostly I use 'aero' aloy because they are the only 2.25mm I can get at the moment. Even for them I have to send to British Columbia.

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,

Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  02:05:01 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Bent needles are a PIB. I chuck them out. I like my knitting to flow as smoothly as possible. Waste of my time to use damaged tools. I don`t mind worn ends as long as they don`t catch.

I do keep some pretty coloured anodised ones that I learned to knit on in the sixties though. They are scratchy at the ends so I knew I would never use them again. I made them into a rainbow coloured wind chime for the window in my workspace.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  03:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
My little Brittany DP's (in the very smallest sizes) have developed a slight bend from all the use they've gotten, but it doesn't affect them at all, and I've grown to love the "bent twig" look. With any other needle, nicks and scratches must be taken care of, or else I can't use them -- I want nothing to come between me and smooth knitting! I keep a nail file in my tool kit (it has 4 different textures) and deal with problems right away.

Jane

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." Denis Diderot

My album: Jane's Pages
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  03:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
when I saw the title of this post of course my first thought was
why pennsylvania of course
hahahah
ok my bamboo's do bend but I don't care
so do my hands....
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  05:43:17 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
Well done truely violet, just had to go and re-check the titile of the post. Being a Brit the alternatiuve use didn't occur.

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,

Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  06:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message
My wooden and bamboo needles tend to have little kitten bite marks on their ends. My cat is obsessed with my knitting. Two size five Brittany birch needles are a particular favorite. He digs them out of my bag and carries them around the house. I had to move them to a cat-proof location.

So far it's not a problem, but I could see that it could be since the bite marks rough up the needle. If I were working with something that needed to slip very smoothly off the needle, I'd be in trouble. I've considered trying to smooth them a little with fine-grain sandpaper if the need arises.
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  07:13:56 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jcc28

My little Brittany DP's (in the very smallest sizes) have developed a slight bend from all the use they've gotten, but it doesn't affect them at all, and I've grown to love the "bent twig" look.
I use these for cabling, so the bend is actually sort of a plus--they hold the stitches better!

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

Tuppence
Chatty Knitter

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  1:13:59 PM  Show Profile Send Tuppence a Private Message
I still have a lot of metal needles from my high-school knitting days in the 60's. I also have a lot of newer ones, but sometimes the old ones work better for one reason or another.

One pair of 14-inch #6 straights I'm rather proud of - they were originally a deep red color, and the capped-off ends are still that color. The color gradually gets lighter towards the points, which are bare metal. Those needles have some serious miles on them . And yes, I still use them occasionally. (I'm one of those wierdos who likes straight needles. )

I also have a set of 2mm Birch DPNs that are getting seriously bent, which is annoying but I still use them. I'm sure that one of these days one of them will snap in two and I'll have to retire them.

I guess I'm just frugal (sounds better than "cheap", doesn't it? ).

- Marie
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  1:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Oh Vi! You and I are thinking the same way! I was thinking "well, they have been to Nevada and California and that is it so far."
I mostly use cheap metal needles. My size 3s got pretty damaged when they got under the recliner somehow, but otherwise they are in good condition.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Seen on a church marquee: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  1:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sabrina Fair

Well done truely violet, just had to go and re-check the titile of the post. Being a Brit the alternatiuve use didn't occur.

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,

at your service.......and always happy to be a smart ass
vi
who really can be a nice person..... when she is sleeping

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  6:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message
Vi - my first thought was "They all stay in California" .... guess we're a lot alike, just on opposite ends of the country! Guess I haven't used my needles enough for them to get warped or worn .... although I worry about leaving them in the car on hot days. Guess I'll have to knit more!

Beth
"I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like."
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  8:40:33 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I've actually managed to bend a couple of sets of Addis, but they're still perfectly usable, as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't been knitting long enough to have really old needles, nor did anyone in my family knit and pass stuff on.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  7:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I love my bamboos and woodies, but they do develop a bit of a warp over time. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Actually, I think it makes them conform to my hands better. But then I like a rather springy needle (which is why I use the woodies and bambies).

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page

mom4GJ
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  2:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit mom4GJ's Homepage Send mom4GJ a Private Message
I'm so glad to hear that other people's bamboo needles get a bend to them. I noticed that my dpn -- size 2 -- have become kind of bent. I wondered if they had been that way when I bought them, and I had been totally oblivious, or if I had bent them.

Kim in WV
http://mom4gj.blogspot.com

By laughing, you do not use up your laughter, but increase your store of it. (Life Expectancy, Dean Koontz)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe