Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 storage
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oscarcatt
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  08:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit oscarcatt's Homepage Send oscarcatt a Private Message
Any suggestions for storage? I have all these needles that get tossed into a bag and stuff... along with yarn, etc etc. Do they make anything for storing knitting supplies?

- Jennifer

kmcrouse
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  4:51:04 PM  Show Profile Send kmcrouse a Private Message
If you get any of the knitting catalogs they usually have some storage things. I got some nifty needle holders from my mother last year that she purchased from Patterworks. If you use straight needles I saw something the other day in a local housewares store. They were rattan baskets, intended for putting wine bottles in for a picnic or gift. I wsa thinking how great they would be for holding straight needles. Unfortunately I only use curculars, so I couldn't justify getting one. :-(

kathy

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  6:50:04 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Most of my stash is in plastic underbed boxes, the closest of which also contains needles not currently being used. But I found (on clearance! at Target!) a rather handsome oval galvanized container, the sort of thing you see in Pottery Barn catalogs full of ice and bottles of wine, and I've put the good-looking yarn out in it, especially if it's for a project soon to come.

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

k2
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  9:06:12 PM  Show Profile Send k2 a Private Message
I like to see my needles everyday so I store them in a clear glass vase that is about 4 inches in diameter and 15 inches tall. It can hold about 25 pairs of needles. I like how all the color needles look together. It always arouses a good feeling.
wanda

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2656 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  09:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I have a "Martha Washington sewing cabinet" - at least that's what the man at the used furniture store called it. It's a little endtable sized thing with three drawers in the middle and a half-circle shaped bin on either end, with hinged lids so the top is flat. The bins are deep enough to hold 14" straight needles, so that's where I keep 'em (it even came with a pair of 13's that were in it when the guy at the store found it.) I keep circ's in their envelopes in one drawer, buttons in another, and the bottom drawer is full of darning eggs - 5 that also came with the cabinet plus two of my grandmothers. I'd love to figure out a cool way to display those (then I could use that other drawer!!)

I keep all my yarn in big plastic tubs from Target or Kmart... except for the three bags of overflow that came in after my most recent purchase of more bins. That's when I decided to take the pledge - it has been 19 days since I've bought any yarn!

Luann

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  11:08:38 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
If you use circular needles I find that The Circular Solution is the best thing since sliced bread. I got mine a couple of years ago at Stitches but they are in lots of catalogues. Check the prices as they vary. Also, they might be in your local yarn shop. Check on the Internet too as it might show up there. They have now come up with solutions for double point needles, not sure about straight though. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Michelle
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  12:40:56 PM  Show Profile Send Michelle a Private Message
I keep my short straights in a Pringles can- my daughter just decorated one for me. I don't use 14" straights anymore, but can't can't part with the ones I inherited from my grandmother. I have two large pastic pencil boxes for cicrs and dps. An empty check box holds my crochet hooks, and another for small knitting supplies like stitch holders and sewing needles.

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

oblio
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  09:56:30 AM  Show Profile Send oblio a Private Message
I keep my stash in a large plastic trunk. It used to be a hopeless mess I had to untangle every time I went in to it. I finally spent one entirely anal-retentive day balling my yarn and then putting the same yarn or same types in Gallon size ziplock bags. Now I can paw through my stash as much as I want with out causing masive snarles.

Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  10:49:11 AM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I utilize many of the above-mentioned strategies. For small notions, like yarn needles, bobbins, stitch markers, etc. I use a clear makeup bag...
Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  12:48:22 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
afternoon all:

i am right with you all on the plastic tub thing, although i have found that the clear ones are better for my marraige. my husband gets a little peeved when i come in with bags and bags of yarn, and he knows i have 5 gigantic rough totes full in the basement. last summer i made a promise not to buy any yarn until the winter. i emptied about 2 of the rough totes (now, i won't talk about how a long weekend trip to canada totally refilled those and more. . .) let's see if rubbermaid will make a clear rough tote!

fleesh

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?