Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 Knitting sweaters - Round or Flat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  04:18:37 AM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
FLAT, flat, flat .... there you go I'll defy the trend, must be the seamstress in me because

each piece finishes quicker
I always drop and lose the markers (they are annoying)
the fit is better with seaming
less stretch in the garment (see above)
I like straights - they are more comfy
Circs can give me a wrist-ache
Easy to count rows (where does the row counter go on circs )
I can try the fit better by pinning the pieces and adjust seaming
Each time I have tried work on circs my stitches have pulled off (OK I'm a bit of a clutzoid)
I like to purl becos then you appreciate the knit row more and if you don't use it - how can you get better at it (same analogy as tennis players that avoid playing on their backhand)

Diana

2005 stats: 3 WIP, 8 FO, 2 Frogged
Purchases: too many
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  08:10:27 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
OK Diana - your points are well-taken, BUT seaming is a nuisance, weight is distributed more evenly, if you are knitting a cardi, the row counter just sits at the beginning of the right front (you purl back, but in the case of Arans, most cabling is done on a purl background)I have a couple of row counters that have a loop that fits over the needle, but when knitting fair isle on 2's and 3's, I just slip the row counter on a big safety pin and hang it on the needle through the coil. Different strokes for different folks. I love to see the pattern unfold as I knit.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  06:53:04 AM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
I'm with Diana. Flat every time. Because:

1. Purling doesn't bother me in the least.
2. I actually like the seaming and finishing part. (But I was a sewer before I started knitting.)
3. It's easier to modify the pattern.
4. The finished article drapes better. I don't like wearing a tube.
5. I like to knit both sleeves at once on the same needle.
6. The completion of individual pieces keeps my motivation-to-finish going.

Here's to differences! They keep us interesting to one another.
Karen
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  09:58:19 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
Probably not experienced enough to answer this, but I vote for round. Just finished a shell knitted on circulars and am about to start a long-sleeved pullover on circulars. With any luck, maybe I'll never make anything flat because I really hate thinking about seams...ugh!
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  6:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Relatively little experience here, only been knitting since January. But, I vote for FLAT. I really don't like seaming, but I love the flexibility that being flat affords. I find it easier to adjust patterns and make a better fit.
Dorene
Go to Top of Page

Gina70
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  09:55:18 AM  Show Profile Send Gina70 a Private Message
In addition to the obvious, no seams, I like knitting in the round because it is like killing two birds with one stone. I know I am knitting a longer round, but when I knit flat and finish, say, a front, then I think, now I have to do this all over again for the back. Same mentality for knitting sleeves. You knit one then you have to do another one, which is why I try to knit both on same needle if possible. Anyway, with knitting in the round I feel like I finish faster cuz both front and back are done at the same time!
Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  10:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
Question for people who knit in the round:
do you prefer to knit top-down or bottom up?

http://abeginningknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lucia
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  7:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit lucia's Homepage Send lucia a Private Message
I prefer kitting bottom up, mostly because I hate finishing small diameter cuffs on double pointed needles with the rest of the sweater sitting on my lap.

Read a my blog to find free patterns. ( http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/ )
Go to Top of Page

crise
Chatty Knitter

337 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  6:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit crise's Homepage Send crise a Private Message
Yet another for in the round. Once I had a cardi all finished except for seaming and after many false starts, I ripped the whole thing out and reknit it in the round. I wear it all winter long!

I too suffer from SSS.

Kris

2005 stats: 9 FO, 5 WIP, 6 USO, 1 Frogpond

How is it that my USO & WIP never decrease, no matter how many FO I create?

Go to Top of Page

mew
Chatty Knitter

Canada
227 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  9:34:31 PM  Show Profile Send mew a Private Message
Count me in the minority.

Flat.
I don't mind purling.
Seaming and finishing is pretty fun.
If something is too small, it's easier to knit a thin gusset type piece to put between the front/back
There's a logical "end" to each row, so I can stop after a row or two.
It's easier for me to keep track of rows, since there is an end to them, makes keeping track of increases/decreases easier for me too

And the main reason is probably based on bad experiences:
Figuring out exact gauge is kind of tricky to do in the round, having to either knit a tube, or knit and slide rows to make sure all the stitches are knit ones... so the last two (and first two) things I knit in the round were far larger than they were supposed to be. And they didn't appear to be until I was finished.

I ended up having to slightly felt my Rogue in the dryer to make it fit nicely, and there's a ripped out Honeymoon Cami that was a complete disaster (it ended up being almost 40" around, when my own bust measurement is something closer to 32-33")
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  03:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message
I am a flat as well....even for fair-isle I knit flat

I actually do like the change from knit to purl every row (not so boring) I am knitting something in garter stitch right now and in the beginning I had to frog several times because I had automatically switched to purl.

I like it that the seperate pieces finish earlier
Flat fits/drapes better (as somebody said, it is not a tube)
I like straight needles a lot more
Counting is much easier

I did not like seaming much though but I got Nancy's Wisemans "Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques" and it became much less of a hassle.

best regards

Marjolein
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  09:22:20 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I prefer in the round and I thought I would just give my opinion on some of your answers. I am not arguing with you, just giving my opinion, so it that doesn't interest you or you are sensitive about your answers, don't read this. I firmly believe everyone has their own way of doing things and that is what is best for them.

FLAT, flat, flat .... there you go I'll defy the trend, must be the seamstress in me because I am also a seamstress and a tailor.

each piece finishes quicker but the whole finishes slower
I always drop and lose the markers (they are annoying)that's why I make my own waste yarn markers.
the fit is better with seaming we could debate this for hours. Let me just say my sweaters fit.
less stretch in the garment (see above) HUH? stretch comes from the yarn used and the stitch used, not round or flat.
I like straights - they are more comfy Count your blessings but trust me, you will get old.
Circs can give me a wrist-ache This is surprising, the first reccomendation for anyone with sore wrists is to switch to circs.
Easy to count rows (where does the row counter go on circs ) you have to use a row counter for circs or attach one with a pin or yarn, etc.
I can try the fit better by pinning the pieces and adjust seaming knit in the round or flat, all my fitting is finished before I pick up the needles. That is an experience thing.
Each time I have tried work on circs my stitches have pulled off (OK I'm a bit of a clutzoid)try using those rubber thigs for the tips of needles when you put your work down. If they are pulling off while you are knitting, it isn't the needle. straight or round, you only work on the last 4 or 5 inches of the needle, the rest is just stitch storage.
I like to purl becos then you appreciate the knit row more and if you don't use it - how can you get better at it (same analogy as tennis players that avoid playing on their backhand) Does not apply. I've knit whole sweaters using nothing but purls and once you get into patterned knitting you will use both knits and purls.

3. It's easier to modify the pattern.All my modifications are made before picking up the needles.
4. The finished article drapes better. Again we could argue this. I think it stems from a seamstress concern for the grain of a fabric. Grain doesn't exist in knitting.I don't like wearing a tube. This is legitimate. Wear what you want to wear.
5. I like to knit both sleeves at once on the same needle.So do I, and I do, but my needle is a 40 inch circlular and I don't have seams to sew when I am finished. Same principle as knitting 2 socks on 2 circs or with magic loop.
6. The completion of individual pieces keeps my motivation-to-finish going. Whatever works for you. It kills mine to finish something and then have to do it again.

it's easier to knit a thin gusset type piece to put between the front/back true, but making a stent for an insertion is my punishment for figuring out my sweater wrong. It has been over 20 years since I had to do it for one of my sweaters, but I do it regularly in helping others salvage theirs.

Question for people who knit in the round:
do you prefer to knit top-down or bottom up?
It really depends on the design. Some things are better bottom up, like vests, some are easier top down, like raglan sleeves. I tend to knit the most interesting part of the sweater first whether that is the neck, shoulder, sleeve shaping or a design on the bottom of a sweater.

Final word--DO IT YOUR WAY.

fran
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  1:08:28 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
Ditto, Fran!
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  3:05:13 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I do both....but, for all the reasons stated by previous "flatties"...I prefer flat too!

I think we should start our own flattie camp....

Trish
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.