Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Shrinking Wool
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jomoffi
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  07:39:52 AM  Show Profile Send jomoffi a Private Message
Hi there!

I have a question regarding shrinking wool. I knit a sweater about 10 years ago for my husband. It is stretched out of shape.... too big in all directions. Is it possible to control the shrinkage that machine washing or drying does to a sweater?

I am terrified to try it, but I am at a loss for what to do with it. I suppose I could knit it over again!

Any advise out there?

Thanks.
Jo

tdunn
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  11:17:20 AM  Show Profile Send tdunn a Private Message
Hi Jo,
I've deliberately shrunk a couple of things. If you put it in the washer what you're doing is fulling (felting) it. It will shrink up, and if you are careful about checking on it often, you can stop when it gets to the size you want. You will lose some stitch definition, too, so that it looks more like felt. On the pieces I've washed, it appears that they shrink more in width than length. So if the sweater has stretched out a lot in length, I'm not sure how successful this would be. If the sweater is a lost cause, then you don't have anything to lose. It's surprising how much agitation that some wools can take. I have a pair of wool/mohair socks that were too big and I ran them through an entire wash cycle with a load of towels last week and they just barely shrunk down to where I wanted them. However, if the wool is still in good shape and you don't mind ripping, I've done that, too. You will have some loss, so you'll probably need some more of that yarn if you want to make the same thing in the same size. Sorry this is so wordy, but hope it helps.

theresa

"If you can't change your life, change your attitude."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.