Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Using Kool-Aid
 isn't the fiber going to shrink or even felt?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  06:40:24 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message

The fiber is supposed to simmer in the solution for 20 to 30 minutes while you stir it right? Simmer = just below boil, that's pretty hot! Isn't there a risk that my wool might shrink or felt?

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  06:46:19 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
I believe you do not STIR. it is the combination of movement and wet heat that causes felting/shrinkage

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  08:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Another major factor in felting is a cold water shock. You won't be doing this with dyeing.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  08:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
To felt you need a specific equation of Heat, Moisture, Aggitation, and Enzyme (usually soap, but not always).

Take any of those out of the equation, and it doesn't felt as well. It's why sheep seldom felt in the fields - we don't usually squirt them with soap and then rub them.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  09:38:00 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message
RoseByAny,
Aha!! That makes sense!
Thanks a lot to y'all
Go to Top of Page

newworlddavinci
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  11:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit newworlddavinci's Homepage  Send newworlddavinci a Yahoo! Message Send newworlddavinci a Private Message
So...

If there is a rain storm in the evening (its a hot sultry evening) and the sheep get wet then lay down to sleep if it has a restless night and tosses and turns will it have a felted coat in the morning?

sorry couldnt help myself

Hagoshii
Jeorge
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  11:07:10 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Perhaps it will wake up with dreadlocks!

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  11:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
There are instances of wool felting right on the sheep - it's called Cotting actually, so I suppose the answer is yes, Jeorge.

Fortunately sheep usually sleep well, and don't toss and turn that much. I guess that's why we count them so we can sleep?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

newworlddavinci
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  08:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit newworlddavinci's Homepage  Send newworlddavinci a Yahoo! Message Send newworlddavinci a Private Message
LOL

a Rastasheep with dreds, maybe a funky hat. (thats a mental image that i wont be getting rid of anytime soon)

I hadn't heard of Cotting before, thanks for the info. This group is great!!

hagoshii
Jeorge
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  11:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by newworlddavinci

LOL

a Rastasheep with dreds, maybe a funky hat. (thats a mental image that i wont be getting rid of anytime soon)

I hadn't heard of Cotting before, thanks for the info. This group is great!!

hagoshii
Jeorge

A knit hat, right? and sunglasses.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

When I can look Life in the eyes, / Grown calm and very coldly wise, / Life
will have given me the Truth, / And taken in exchange---my youth. -Sara
Teasdale, poet (1884-1933)

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  1:34:55 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I avoid even the potential for the problem by doing the microwave method - no simmering, no stirring. Of course, this does work better for variegated than solids, I think.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth